Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 11:48 AM

Keep the pressure on! We're going to be screwed down here in London too! Of course, we'll join the "fight" once they transition here too.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 11:49 AM

I'm always open to improvements and will take notes and attempt stuff
, right now this works in my signal quagmire.

13 is gathered at 35 ft and amped by the kt-200 , I get a smooooth signal , the vip302 is a better VHF antenna but is height restricted ,
unless maybe the shed needs a new clothes line ?

I also have a rc 9642 that s looking to improve my reception ... ideas on that things placement ?
but 6 works for me good this way ------ digital is great ,
analog is average but better than the old rabbid ears .

Couldn't find a channel 6 yagi so just filtered the 302

if I had my orginal DB-8 at 35 ft , things would a been simpler ...

cm4228hd; kt-200, philips distro
post #213 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 11:57 AM

perhaps just adding a third antenna
a vhf hi
to the high side of your hlsj

if you want to continue filtering the rest of vhf lo
you could put the chan6 jointenna
before entering the hlsj

302 > chan6jointenna > hlsj
vhfhi > hlsj
post #214 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 12:06 PM

anyways good luck with it
let us know how it turns out
post #215 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 01:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
Roger if you can't get something reliable in the attic with a single cut in the attic we're all doomed in Ottawa !
I get it about 95% of the time (though it is too early to say for sure). Replacing the cheap distribution amp with a lower noise amp will likely resolve any remaining problems.

The problem with VHF-LO indoors or in an attic is not just reduced signal level but increased impulse noise. This is generated by appliances and electronics in the home and sent (and radiated) throughout the house over the electrical wires and is picked up by the antenna. Moving the antenna outside, reduces the amount of impulse noise received.
post #216 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 01:51 PM
Rookie

Kanata, near Hazeldean/Eagleson

Thanks for all the great info guys; I have been following this thread since it started. I figured I would add my results:

Location: Kanata, near Hazeldean/Eagleson; antennas in second floor bedroom near window. Here is my tvfool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e748956995e10

Previous Setup; $20 4-bay UHF pointed at HC; and a 20 year old distribution amplifier. Even with this setup I could get Global-TV analog reasonably well.

Global Attempt 1:
Added a set of rabbit ears above the 4-bay antenna; added a $30 combiner/amp from a local computer store to mix the two.

Result:
Slightly better reception of CJOH analog (no Global-TV); and worse overall UHF performance. Time to return it, its truely the worst made piece of electronics I have ever seen. There is no shielding in the ampilfier unit whatsoever (no tin box); the F-connectors aren't labelled on the combiner unit; its not weatherproof in any way; the amplifier unit required you to strip coax an attach with screw terminals (no its not 300ohm; just the way it is). I'll take some pictures.

Global Attempt 2 (In Progress)
I bought a CM-7777 to see if that makes a difference. Going to try it out tonight. I'll also likely move the setup into the attic. I also bought some 300ohm twin-lead to try my hand at making a channel-6 tuned folded dipole.

Thanks to all for the great information in this thread.

Last edited by statik; 2011-08-19 at 02:44 PM. Reason: wrong tvfool link
post #217 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 01:53 PM

Or use a DB8 and a CM 7778, it works for me.
post #218 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
statik, hi and welcome. Here are some thoughts:
  1. Make sure you have enough space between your antennas. Also the VHF antenna should be below the UHF antenna.
  2. Use a band combiner (such as an HLSJ, UVSJ or the separate VHF and UHF inputs on a pre-amp) that will only pass the channels the appropriate antenna is intended for and filter out the others (I am not sure what type of combiner your $30 amp has, but it may not be right).

I hope this helps.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #219 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Mr Canoehead, I am glad your DB8 works for you, but it isn't a recommended solution as the DB8 is not designed to work with VHF (channels 2-13). Those who have it working are lucky, but I wouldn't rely on it as it may stop working in January when you don't want to be climbing on your roof. YMMV.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #220 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help Roger;

I tried every antenna orientation I could think of; but I'll be mindful to test with the VHF below. Its a D.W. ANT-1028 UHF/VHF combiner/preamp(can't link due to moderator rules for first posts). I was using the separate inputs on the preamp; but still no luck, and always worse UHF with combiner inline vs no combiner. The box is supposed to do the same thing as a CM-7777. Maybe I just got a dud.

Looking forward to results with the CM-7777.
post #221 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
  1. Make sure you have enough space between your antennas. Also the VHF antenna should be below the UHF antenna.
What is "enough space"? I found a reference in the Ganging/Combining thread which seemed to suggest at least 25" between a VHF and UHF. Is that correct?
post #222 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:10 PM
Veteran

statik. Not a dud, but just a poor quality amp (You get what you pay for). A NF of 5dB isn't very good (ya I know mine is similar, but I bought as a test from a store that has a good return policy). That brand is also banned from this forum for shady business practices. I would return it if you can.

The CM-7777 is much better and also has an FM trap (which you should use). I would also recommend getting a good VHF-LO antenna (an amp cannot make up for a poor antenna).

People are getting all sorts of crazy setups to work, but the weather is good right now. Once the weather gets bad, their reception may change and that is not a fun time to be on the roof to fix things.

post #223 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:24 PM

I don't understand how you can use a CM7777 up there in Ottawa, surely I will overload if located at the mast if within 30 miles from CF or HC.
Could someone down there in Ottawa try mounting a pre amp roughly 20-25 feet away from the antenna. I have had huge success this way.
London is much like Ottawa regarding signal strength from locals.
My 2 cents.

roof mounted 35ft UHF Antennas Direct XG91, VHF Delhi VIP 302SR, RC 6292, Tii Coaxial Lightning Surge Protection
post #224 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:34 PM

i have a 7777 mounted on mast on roof @ 25'
i am 18 miles from HC (edge2) and 16 miles from CF(LOS)
it overloads my hvr2250 from CF(LOS)
but is fine on all my tv's
if i don't use the amp i cant get the omi's and city goes in and out
if i increase the length of wire to the preamp
i get similarly bad results
post #225 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:37 PM

PanaMark, I tried various locations for a Kitz 200 when testing on my play structure last summer. The close the Kitz was to the antenna, the better it was overall. I wasn't on the roof yet and height was the limiting factor then.

check my tvfool. I am pointing at channel 23 (18.1) so i am fairly lined up with HC.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe32262c5a2e

I have a cm4228hd with cm7777.

If I turned my 4228hd straight at CF (North West) then I agree the 7777 would overload. But for a lot of people, HC is the weakest transmitter so you just have your antenna pointed at HC and overloading doesn't seem much of a problem for most. It's not a problem for me.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.