Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331 - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Your CM4228 is a UHF antenna... it can work for VHF high channels (7- 13) too... even if it's a UHF design, however this antenna will not work at all for any VHF Low channels (2-6)

So yes your solution would be to get that AntennaCraft Y5-2-6 Low Band Broadband VHF Antenna. It'll work very well for channel 6

The CM7777 would be a good choice ... it has UHF and VHF inputs and one output

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 11:51 PM
Veteran

The problems with a CM7777 preamp will be possible loss of VHF-hi signals and possible overloading. I haven't seen a good solution for combining a UHF/VHF-hi antenna (such as the CM4228) with a VHF-lo antenna. A UVSJ will combine UHF and VHF with minimal loss. A HLSJ will combine VHF-hi and VHF-lo. A HLSJ might also pass UHF on the VHF-hi leg but the spec's don't indicate that. Tin Lee could most likely make a good solution for combining UHF/VHF-hi with VHF-lo but then you are talking big bucks compared to a mass market UVSJ or HLSJ. Maybe some of the techs here could come up with a DIY solution. It should not be that difficult.

Another solution might be a VHF (hi+lo) antenna and a UVSJ.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #183 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:16 AM

your best solution would be

uhf only antenna
+
vhf 2-13 (lo,hi) antenna
or vhf lo +vhf hi and an hlsj
+
cm7777

this way you wont lose anything
the only possible issue is overload and decent tuner can take care of that

if you are certain that the signal is very strong
then skip the cm7777 and just use a uvsj to join
(+ hlsj if you have a seperate vhf hi and vhf lo)
post #184 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
The problems with a CM7777 preamp will be possible loss of VHF-hi signals and possible overloading. I haven't seen a good solution for combining a UHF/VHF-hi antenna (such as the CM4228) with a VHF-lo antenna. A UVSJ will combine UHF and VHF with minimal loss. A HLSJ will combine VHF-hi and VHF-lo. A HLSJ might also pass UHF on the VHF-hi leg but the spec's don't indicate that. Tin Lee could most likely make a good solution for combining UHF/VHF-hi with VHF-lo but then you are talking big bucks compared to a mass market UVSJ or HLSJ. Maybe some of the techs here could come up with a DIY solution. It should not be that difficult.

Another solution might be a VHF (hi+lo) antenna and a UVSJ.
How about a UVSJ in reverse on the CM4228 to separate the V-Hi from the U, then a HLSJ to combine the V output from the UVSJ (input to the 'H' side) with the Y5-2-6 (input to the 'L' side): the output from the HLSJ is then fed into the V input on the CM7777, and the U output from the UVSJ into the U input of the CM7777?

A diagram would be worth a thousand words!
post #185 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:35 AM

that sounds like the best option as long as the 7777 is not too much
post #186 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:47 AM

Whoa....

Okay what is a HLSJ? And where can I buy one? I know you can't post links on here for some reason... I've been looking at summit since they carry the antenna.

All my other signals come in very strong. The only VHF hi we need in Ottawa is CTV (13) I think.. right? It comes in very strong in analog, hopefully this continues on the digital side. So I don't think I'll be losing anything unless you are saying the CM7777 completely filters the VHF from the UHF input?

What are other people doing? There has to be a way.... There doesn't seem to be a VHF 2-13 antenna that is any good for 6 or am I missing something? If so then I could just get one of those and combine them with the CM7777.

I'm not sure I need to boost but I am splitting 3 times (two PVR inputs and my TV), although I could probably skip the TV input as usually I just record everything, but it is nice to have the 3 tuners.
post #187 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:51 AM

HLSJ is a hi lo separator/joiner
UVSJ is a UHF VHF separator/joiner

they can be used in combinations to join or separate any way you want
post #188 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:52 AM

Based only on your tvfool results, I would think a DIY di-pole would be enough to do that. El Gran Chino was able to build one for channel 11 for $2 he said. I'll edit this post if I can find a link to instructions.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #189 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:02 AM

wing here's a simple solution. Get a VHF (covering both VHF HI&LO) antenna and a cm7777 preamp. The Delhi VIP-302SR must still be available locally. You could choose another model that cover the whole VHF range like this one.

Point the VHF antenna to CF, keep your 4228 the way it was. Set your cm7777 to separate inputs with the FM trap ON(IN) and connect both antennas to the preamp. You are done. Your big job is to figure if you have room for the VHF antenna on your current mount and around it, if clearance is good for both plus some place to put the preamp.

Personnally when I connected my VIP-302SR in the attic (pointed to CF) I got way better Global & CTV than I ever had coming off the back of my 4228hd on the roof. Your results may vary, but a preamped VHF antenna on the roof should be OK to pick up Global. backpackster in Navan picks it up on a roof mounted preamped VHF antenna.

The 302sr has a gain of 4 vs the 526 which has a gain of 4.9 on VHF Lo. But the 526 isn't even rated for VHF Hi, where the 302sr has a very respectable gain of 8. It's a smaller antenna than some of these big monsters, but still big enough at about 9 feet on the biggest end.
post #190 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:02 AM

wing, after the transition SRC will be at channel 9 (VHF Hi) along with CTV staying at 13.
post #191 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:08 AM

Here's what some others like jrmclean have done with 3 antennas. Get 2 antennas for VHF: 1 antenna for VHF Lo or specialized for channel 6 (single cut yagi) and 1 antenna for VHF Hi. Use a channel master channel 6 jointenna to mix these antennas to get your VHF feed. Then add a UHF antenna to that VHF feed to a cm7777.
post #192 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
Here's what some others like jrmclean have done with 3 antennas. Get 2 antennas for VHF: 1 antenna for VHF Lo or specialized for channel 6 (single cut yagi) and 1 antenna for VHF Hi. Use a channel master channel 6 jointenna to mix these antennas to get your VHF feed. Then add a UHF antenna to that VHF feed to a cm7777.
this is my current setup and it works great
in fact
my channel 6 antenna is rabbit ears on the roof
they have been adjusted to 34.5" each side
then secured in place to the vhf hi antenna

i get global at 60%
post #193 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
backpackster in Navan picks it up on a roof mounted preamped VHF antenna.
@backpackster can you provide your TVFool and antenna info? I'm trying to decide if Global is going to be a possibility for me in Kemptville. My LG TV spends a long time on channel 6 when scanning but I get no signal at the moment.
post #194 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:37 AM

in the states it is mandatory that anything available ota in your market is available in clear qam from your cable company's cable feed

sure would be nice if they enforced that here
as even if you dont subscribe to tv
as long as you have internet your cable is active
yes filters are on and there is no analogue
but clear qam is still there
post #195 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 10:40 AM

Newbie Chime in

Hi All,

I think I would wait until CTV transition then decide between a full VHF Hi/Lo antenna or a single cut ch6 for Global.

For me the first thing to do is get a taller pole and brace to get my antenna away from my metal chimney. I'm discovering the pain of VHF.

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-08-19 at 12:19 PM. Reason: please use our standard fonts - see Rules of the Forum
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.