Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 01:05 PM
The Channel Master CM4228HD in my attic brings everything in clearly with high power except for channels 6 and 66-1. The antenna was not designed to bring in channels 2 to 6. In my bedroom I have a cheap $14 rabbit ears antenna that seems to pick up everything including channel 6. These new HDTV antennas don't seem to always work. A plain old antenna from years ago when there was no DTV does a better job (at least in my house). If I can figure out where to go to get a good HLSJ splitter, I'll take that into the attic and hook a cheap rabbit ear antenna along with the 4228 to see what happens. I'm guessing I'll get signal.

I don't think there are buildings between me and CF. My house is 8.1 km south of the tower in Aylmer. From what I gather, the issue seems to be 2 things - people are using antennas that don't pick up low VHF well - the signal strength since Global switched to DTV has been dropped dramatically.
Sponsored Links
post #137 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
To the guys with Samsungs, just hit 6 then enter on your remote and it will first check DTV channel 6 and then secondly analog channel 6. Both my Sammy's seem to work okay this way when I scan and then turn my rotor to add all my channels from the states and the other day when I was able to get Global only for a moment before it crapped out again. Yes there are firmware updates available on their website. In fact when I first brought our 46" home from the store it already had an update available LOL.

Best of luck to anyone who is still trying to RX Global DTV 6 in Ottawa and area. I gave up yesterday. I still have not even got a reply from Global on my e-mail from a couple days ago.
Thanks, bowhunter, for the info on the Sammy. I will try it tonight. I will also look into a firmware update.

Good luck with your reception!

post #138 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 05:05 PM
Global was coming in for me at 100% yesterday and now it's entirely gone.
post #139 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 06:56 PM
I was able to get my friend's DTV Global to show up and work tonight (the one who lives closer to CF than me) using a slightly modified antenna I cooked up while at work. Tried it on my setup and got nadda .. lol. I think I'm up the creek without a paddle on this.
post #140 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 07:11 PM
I get Global on 6.1 on my Viewsonic, but my Samsung cannot see it.
Similarly, my Panasonic can see 6.1, the HDHomerun can see it when running their own application, but Windows 7 Media Center can't see it despite the fact that it uses the HDHomerun and 6.1 is my second-strongest signal!

At least I can watch it, but I'd like the option of recording it, too. I don't get why this is happening.
post #141 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 08:34 PM
rpali, dumb question: you did a rescan under 7mc, right ?
post #142 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 08:46 PM
Built a really throw-it-together antenna just for channel 6. Works if I hold it in just the right place, which unfortunately is in front of the TV screen. No pixelation. Still working on a decent amplifier design to get this channel. I just wish they would turf low VHF - it doesnt make any sense.

As you can see by the photos it is coax fed up through some PVC pipe to a perpendicular length of dowling and at the match point a 75 - 300 ohm balun. Some tiny stranded wires to connect the balun to the antenna, which is just solid electrical wiring.

post #143 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 09:48 PM
rpali, dumb question: you did a rescan under 7mc, right ?
Definitely! Sorry I wasn't very clear about that, but I definitely did. It finds 7 stations...missing only Global.
post #144 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 09:49 PM
Just an update on my global failure of yesterday...

I tried again tonight, and again could only get a partial lock with mythtv. I thought this was strange, so I delete global entirely, and re-scanned to re-add the channel. This time it worked great. I suspect global had changed *something* in the PSIP stream since I first scanned the channel, and that caused it to be unhappy when I tried to tune it. So if anyone else is inexplicably unable to tune it after previously succeeding, try deleting the channel and re-scanning.

Pic is pretty good, some minor artifacts every 30 seconds or so.

On an unrelated note, tonight seems like a good night for long distance - I'm receiving 28-1 and 28-2 from South Colton again flawlessly.

Edit: wpbs 16-1/2/3 from Watertown also booming.

Last edited by moody; 2011-08-17 at 09:58 PM. Reason: More stations showing up...
post #145 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:05 PM
That's hilarious GerryB. It's very ingenious and saves money too. Are you using this as your only antenna or just for Global?

I went into my HOT attic this afternoon and connected rabbit ears to the RG6 cable running down to my living room. I still could not pick up Global. They've got to increase their signal. It's really poor that Global cut their power so low that people living near the transmission tower are having troubles. What I did this afternoon was a waste of time.
post #146 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by moody View Post
I suspect global had changed *something* in the PSIP stream
Yes, I just did a check a few minutes ago, and Global is now identifying itself correctly as "6:1", no longer as "4:1". Hopefully, this will eliminate one cause of confusion for many users. (May require a rescan, as you did.)

With the incorrect "4:1" previously used, Myth (like many TVs) would identify it as a duplicate of CBC-english. The version I'm running (0.24.1) provided a prompt for the user to provide corrected info to avoid the conflict.

By the way, the XMLIDs for the SchedulesDirect scheduler are 10130 for Global, and 10119 for TVO.
post #147 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:28 PM
I'm now getting the previous channel on 6.1 when I change from another channel to 6.1

Very strange.
post #148 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:35 PM
Think I got it..

I've been having the same problems as everyone else pulling in Global 6.1. It worked last night marginally for maybe 1 hour.. Today nothing at all.
I am in the extreme south end of the city of Ottawa, rural SE Ottawa.

I'm using rabbit ears mounted high up on the 1st floor. I do receive all the other available local DTV channels just fine..

Since 6.1 is VHF and from I learned from reading through these posts, the antenna rods need to be set up as horizontally as possible and wide. Still same problem. Althugh the antenna was high up on the 1st floor with windows around it it was not facing CF at all. There is an interior wall separating the rabbit ear antenna from the window through to CF.

I was moving the antenna around and maybe 1 foot of one of the metal VHF rods protruded into a door opening. My wife shouted that Global was coming in crystal clear! This door opening is directly behind a large window facing North.. CF?

So the Global signal is so weak that it won't even penetrate an interior wall it seems. This might explain why attic mounted antennas don't stand a chance with 6.1 ( shingles, roofing, etc.)

Try placing the antenna directly behind a window which is facing in the general direction of CF.

We are receiving it very well now ( medium signal strength and quality)although part of the rabbit ear antenna is now dangling in a doorway.

I also hope they either up the power or somehow switch to UHF.
post #149 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:43 PM
FYI, I live in northern Kanata and I have an analog TV on the first floor, with standard rabbit ears antenna beside the TV, a digital to analog converter box, and with the antenna placed just right (facing about north east) and the ears at 90 degrees to each other (with one at horizontal). I can get 4.1, 9.1, 17.1, 20.1 and 24.1. I have a digital TV in the basement with its own antenna on the first floor facing a similar, but not same, direction as the other antenna, and the ears at about 135 degrees to each other (with one near horizontal), and antenna has about 20 feet of coax to the TV with the coaxial cable not tight (else I lose signal), and am able to get channels, 4.1, 6.1, 9.1, 20.1, and 24.1. So on one TV I can get 17.1 but not 6.1 and vice versa for the other TV. The placement of the antennas is very very sensitive in order to get either of 6.1 or 17.1, but not sensitive at all for the other digital stations. Hope this info helps others in their setup.
post #150 of 331 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 11:19 PM
Globals signal streanght is so pathetic (please see post #124) that even a slightly loose coax F connector nut can cause loss of signal. I had the signal since yesterday then at around six PM it dropped. After posing the antenna for twenty minutes I found the loose connection and signal returned (none of the other stations were affected). If I'm experiencing this much difficulty with an 8 bay antenna, 10 ft of coax, and a splitter all within the interior of my apt. I can't imagine what some of you are up against. And soon the weather will become a greater factor in the mix.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.