OTA Station Status: Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham WA - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Uh oh...

I just had a look at the contour map on the Channel 34 document and it is supposed to actually aim towards Port Townsend and Anacortes, about 160 degrees from Vancouver. At an ERP of 12kW I doubt we'd get anything strong in most parts of the Lower Mainland.

I don't think a contour map is available for Channel 24 yet.

Venture Technologies has been keeping us in suspense for a few years already with their various LP applications, so I'm also taking all this pretty casually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I just had a look at the contour map on the Channel 34 document and it is supposed to actually aim towards Port Townsend and Anacortes
You're right. I saw a power of 1.00 at 0 degrees. I missed the 162 degree rotation on the antenna.
post #153 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 03:27 AM

KVOS going spanish?

There is a deal in place that could possibly see KVOS-12 become a spanish station. Check out the article here: http://www.thebellinghambusinessjour...2007/kvos.php#
post #154 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 11:48 AM

It doesn't seem to make sense for KVOS to go Spanish - a good portion of their advertising dollars come from Canada, wouldn't they loose that?

Any idea what physical channel Global will be broadcasting digital on?
post #155 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 11:57 AM

kvos dtv

I could see it working if they did multiple language broadcasts then it wouldd not cut off all the english only viewers?
post #156 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 04:41 PM

KVOS Going Spanish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelleman View Post
There is a deal in place that could possibly see KVOS-12 become a spanish station. Check out the article here: http://www.thebellinghambusinessjour...2007/kvos.php#
I think a Spanish station will do better than what they have been doing.

They are a part of the Seattle DMA according to wikipedia:

Quote:
According to the FCC, Bellingham is part of the Seattle market, and therefore is KVOS is officially a Seattle market station. However, while some viewers in the Seattle area are able to receive the station over the air, syndex rules have forced the station off the cable lineup in Seattle itself.
By going Spanish they should be able to go back on Seattle cable and satellite. Right now they are part of the Vancouver marked for syndicated / non-network programming. They cannot be on Seattle cable because another station has the rights to programs such as Seinfeld and whatever else they carry. If they switch I think the FCC will require ĎMandatory Must Carryí of their signal in Seattle. I canít see the Canadian cable operators dropping the channel. Therefore they will get access to both markets!

Seattle has two Spanish stations now (KUNS Univision and KHCV Azteca America on a part time basis / full time basis on digital sub-channel). A third Spanish station may overcrowd the market. The 2000 US census had 321,000 persons who speak Spanish in Washington State Ė majority probably in Seattle or with access to Seattle TV (I canít determine if this is total Spanish speakers or the total who speak Spanish at home.) I assume that this is a growing market in Seattle.

The 2006 census shows 58000 Spanish speakers in Vancouver and another 8000 in Victoria. I have noticed a sizable increase of Spanish speakers around town over the last number of years. The Canadian audience would be a bonus.

I donít think that they are profitable right now playing seventh fiddle in the Vancouver English TV market. The new owners probably see the need to be included in the Seattle market. They probably would do worse in Seattle than Vancouver as an English station (there are at least nine English non-religious / non-shopping channels) so they probably decided for an alternate language. The Mandarin (?) station (KBCB) didnít work out in Seattle. What else could they try? Looking at the US census I see no other language besides Spanish that would have to market and growth potential to try. Telemundo is probably looking for a Seattle affiliate anyways.

If they arenít going HD maybe they can put something interesting on their sub-channels too!
post #157 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 09:19 PM

KVOS The Mandarin (?) station (KBCB) didnít work out in Seattle

The reason I was told from KBCB for the dropping of the Mandarin multicultural programming was as of the actions of the CRTC complaining infringement on the multicultural staions on cable here in BC.

That p....d me off as they had really good variety awh now I can order a great collection of top end ?
post #158 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-08, 01:19 AM

KCPQ

I see they now are having a sub now. 18.1 and 18.2
post #159 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-08, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Is KCPQ-DT's second sub-channel carrying anything yet?
post #160 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-08, 01:42 PM
DHC Supporter

KCPQ-DT 13.02 carries weather similar to KING 5.02.
It's 'Q13 Fox First Forecast Channel', powered by Accu Weather.
post #161 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-10, 03:36 PM

KCPQ 18.2

I did have a few momnets of the KCPQ sub come a few mins ago.
It is basicly three seperate windows one weather info a larger for what I saw was cooking something and the bottom of that A little more weather stuff and a ticker type of information line.
post #162 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-17, 06:14 PM

Smile skip now happening

I was able to get KCPQ 18.1 qnd KCPQ 18.2 and the forecast is for this skip to become more intense today and even more so tomorrow a great time to fine tune antennas
post #163 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 04:50 PM

Yes, I noticed last night and today that KUNS 51 analog was coming in much clearer than normal so figured something was definitely going on. Haven't had much luck locking any SeaTac digitals as of yet , but today am getting KING 5 5.1 and 5.2 in at 4/10 bars. Seems nice and solid, no dropouts or pixellation.. wow.
post #164 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 05:11 PM

Kcpq Dt 18.2

Well it also has regular programs too as I saw degrassi on it at 2pm today.
480i mind you but at this time not all weather

I have emailed the station to ask if there is some kind of program list for the 18.2
and as usual I will post any relies as the come to me

Last edited by danbcman; 2008-02-18 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Add further info
post #165 of 797 (permalink) Old 2008-02-19, 03:45 PM

KCPQ 18.2

Here is the reply from KCPQ....
Quote:
Hi Dan,

The full screen programming is on everyday same time as it fulfills our
E/I commitment. Other than that it is a 24/7 weather advisory channel
with traffic & News tickers. Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.