Citytv & Rogers OMNI DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
We can ask them nicely to be good corporate citizens and to serve the interests of their OTA viewership.
Which is what I have done. My contact at Rogers has been very supportive and was not aware of this problem. They are looking into the situation and he will let me know what their plans are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 08:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
You're a good man, Roger.

Actually as I think of this more, it is probably in Omni's (and City's to some extent) best interest to use the virtual channels.

- Every other channel in the GTA will use their familiar channel numbers.
- Some people will hit "57" or "69" instinctively if they've been analog viewers for a while and get frustrated
- Some people will hit "51" and Ion Television will appear (if it gets scanned in first)

Any one of these could lead to people calling into Omni reporting "reception issues", creating a big headache for people answer the phones at Omni.

As already mentioned in this thread, different tuners handle the "collision" differently and I'm sure Omni doesn't want to keep a list of what devices do what.

A-D DB4e, CM 7778 9521, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #183 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 12:04 AM

Answer to TV Lurker

I will have to dig out where I got this info. But I know it's there in the ton of documents we regulary get at the office from IC and the CRTC.

But one thing for sure, the only thing that IC and the FCC only regulates between the two countries is the physical frequencies according to the treaty they have agreed in the past. All the rest is up to respective authorities to deal with.

One thing I'm sure of is that all DTV stations must have their virtural channel ID approved by the FCC in the US and I sure that it is the same with us too.

I will look throughly in these documents, but as crazy as it look's, these regulations were established about 12 years ago when the ATSC standard was designed.
post #184 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 07:36 AM
Veteran

Nothwithstanding what you may find in the ATSC documents, no one in Canada regulates any part of the PSIP stream other than the TSID.
For example, ATSC has a mandatory specification for the tolerance of the system clock, but no one in Canada enforces it.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2011-06-23 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote.
post #185 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 12:35 AM

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. The info I refer to is inside the TVCT table included in the MPEG tables of the TS stream of any ATSC station. All info in this table refers to the tv set for displaying purposes like the virtual channel, program name, etc.

I agree with you that not everything included in this table is regulated, but some are inforced by authorities, the MPEG service number and TSID (this info is not displayed, but essential to any TV set in the digital management of the program), the station name and the virtual channel are mandatory.

All other info in this table is not inforced in Canada unlike the USA. This is one of the reason why there is not many TV sets sold in Canada that includes tv guides displays. Manufacturers are not crazy, they knew that the could save on that stuff for Canadian TV and they did. Shame on them. At least, most of the TV stations are including the program name and description because some sets can at least display this info live.

Nice evening
post #186 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 01:13 AM
HWP

RFMAN,

Does this mean OTAers are likely to get a better TV for OTA purposes (PSIP, show info) if we drive to USA and pick up our TV there?

Would an identical model in each country differ in terms of progamming guides?

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
post #187 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 07:55 AM

I doubt Omni,Rogers will have channel remapping going come September.It took years for them to set the clock right.

CM 4248 at Buffalo,XG43 at Toronto,M4 at Buffalo,CH 11 yagi at Ham.

Last edited by rob50312; 2011-06-24 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spell
post #188 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
To be fair to Rogers, it only took about 1.5 months after I told them about the problem with their clock to get a permanent solution. The key is talking to the right person and I have obviously found him.

As for the guide data, as I said in post #98, it requires a bigger automation project and will take time. I suspect they are focusing on getting through the digital transition before looking at this one.
post #189 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMAN View Post
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. The info I refer to is inside the TVCT table included in the MPEG tables of the TS stream of any ATSC station. All info in this table refers to the tv set for displaying purposes like the virtual channel, program name, etc.

I agree with you that not everything included in this table is regulated, but some are inforced by authorities, the MPEG service number and TSID (this info is not displayed, but essential to any TV set in the digital management of the program), the station name and the virtual channel are mandatory.

All other info in this table is not inforced in Canada unlike the USA. This is one of the reason why there is not many TV sets sold in Canada that includes tv guides displays. Manufacturers are not crazy, they knew that the could save on that stuff for Canadian TV and they did. Shame on them. At least, most of the TV stations are including the program name and description because some sets can at least display this info live.

Nice evening
My point was that the only agency that has "adopted" the ATSC spec in Canada is IC, and they are not interested in enforcing any mandatory part of the spec other than TSID. This is only done reluctantly, as part of their RF planning responsibility. TSIDs in the states were allocated origianlly not by the FCC, but by the "Maximum Television" roganization. Not sure who does it now.

There are mandatory parts of ATSC/65 that refer to the minimum number of valid EIT entries presented, for example, or the accuracy of the system time data. These items are not enforced in Canada, unlike in the States.
post #190 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

OMNI Calgary - August 12 Transition announced

OTA Station Status: Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta
post #191 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 01:20 PM

Past few days I've been annoyed with CityTV 17.1 in Ottawa being 10 minutes off (behind) with it's PSIP time information. I realize I could turn off my TV's auto-time update feature, but I have it connected to a power bar so it's very convenient. It's messing with timed events, I almost feel like mapping CityTV out.

Would be great if Rogers took PSIP data seriously (including title and program guide data!). I'm sure they would prefer we all subscribe to cable instead of servicing OTA properly; but seems to me their advertisers pay for content and would rather be seen as broadly as possible.
post #192 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Fota, I will pass this on to my contact at Rogers. I have found him to be very responsive and takes OTA very seriously.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #193 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I heard back from him and apparently the virtual channel number will be the same as the physical channel number for all three stations post transition. I alerted him to the problem with WPXJ and he said he will look further into it (I don't think they quite understood the situation the first time around).
I forgot to reply with an update on this. My contact said according to Industry Canada and one of his consultants, this shouldn't be a problem. I explained the situation observed by Steve Smart, and he said that while he understands his concern he has nothing else to offer as a specific solution at this time. As a result you will have to wait and see what happens and if you are negatively affected, complain at that time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
post #194 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 05:38 PM

See ya told you Rogers will not have channel remapping going come Aug 31st.It will be their channel that wont come in if your tuner cant handle 2 51-1 channels.Before Rogers got involved with City ,they had guide data and everything on city-dt.

CM 4248 at Buffalo,XG43 at Toronto,M4 at Buffalo,CH 11 yagi at Ham.
post #195 of 310 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Fota, I will pass this on to my contact at Rogers.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Edit: looks like it's fixed today! Happy.

Last edited by Fota; 2011-07-25 at 06:39 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.