Netflix Opts for Blu-Ray High-Def DVDs - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 03:21 PM

Sigh...I'm hopefully James, that you'll come to understand what just about every analyst and HDM fan does. The war needs to end, and every step towards that goal is good news. One less movie to buy, one less place to rent, means HD-DVD is one step closer to going away. Just about eveyone who has voiced an opinion on this agrees it needs to happen and the sooner the better, but we get it...you love the war and think it should continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
Great news? I'm not sure how removing a product line can be considered as good news. I'm sure HD DVD owners will take their rental business elsewhere.
Um, where? Beta Hut?
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:06 PM
Veteran

That's all well and good Boduho, but it would seem that it's being left to the buying public to decide and they haven't quite eliminated HD DVD yet. I'm sure you think they are a bunch of morons, but that doesn't seem to be stopping them so far. Fact is, both formats can live on indefinitely, just like Windows vs. Mac.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

The war has been very good for consumers. If you wish to disagree than make a case.

Analyst, for the most part, are uninformed twits.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:14 PM
Veteran

has been being the most important words. It is better now for it to end IMO.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:21 PM

Quote:
The war has been very good for consumers. If you wish to disagree than make a case.

Im sure a lot of the people being left with truly obsolete hardware would disagree with you. Especially those who bought something besides those $100-150 A2/A3s

THe sooner this war ends, the sooner uniformed consumers stop wasting their money/time on HDDVD movies and hardware. Its an inevitability at this point that HDDVD will disapear.

Best Buy has already announced they want a SINGLE HD format and that they feel BLURAY is that format.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+R...e/3345206.html

Its being reported on Reuters as well

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:26 PM

Quote:
That's all well and good Boduho, but it would seem that it's being left to the buying public to decide and they haven't quite eliminated HD DVD yet
I would whole heartedly disagree with that statement on two fronts. First off, it's not being left up to the buying public as studios and now multiple developers and retailers have decided to discontinue support for HDDVD. The choice is in fact being made at that level and will continue to do so. Secondly, the buying public has for the most part, stopped buying players and software. I believe it was you who stated at the time of WB's move that current owners would continue to buy software and that sales from current studios wouldn't drop. They have of course plummeted. In addition, hardwares sales have now shifted considerably in BD favour as consumers have decided to purchase BD equipment rather than HD-DVD. Sales of both hardware, and software would suggest that buying public has chosen BD.

Quote:

James, the case as been made ad nauseum and doesn't need to be made again. If you feel like you're still right, when the studios, retailers, developers and most consumers tell you're wrong, than feel free to continue your support of the war. My position hasn't changed in the last year or so of posting on the topic and the eventual outcome, and I'm quite comfortable saying my perspective on the outcome has been more accurate than most of the HD-DVD supporters.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:33 PM
Veteran

If left to the public to decide, personal choice or manufacturer preference could cloud things.

For example i'd personally go with HD DVD, not because I'm a Toshiba fan but simply because Sony isn't involved with it.

I am a fan of Panasonic gear and was really PO'd when Panasonic went with BluRay.

On the other hand, I have no intention of getting any of these players until a format is chosen.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:33 PM

I just read the link that Luis posted quoting the president of Best Buy. I guess he must be an uniformed twit as well.

Quote:
Dunn continued, "Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgclarke View Post
If left to the public to decide, personal choice or manufacturer preference could cloud things.

For example i'd personally go with HD DVD, not because I'm a Toshiba fan but simply because Sony isn't involved with it.

I am a fan of Panasonic gear and was really PO'd when Panasonic went with BluRay.

On the other hand, I have no intention of getting any of these players until a format is chosen.
Panasonic IS bluray. Its the media that keep saying bluray is a Sony format (most likely so they can use "betamax" comparisons)

IIRC Panasonic had far more to do with the development of bluray than Sony. They've been with bluray since the start.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 04:46 PM
Veteran

Well, that just blew a big hole in my anti BluRay stance
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 08:14 PM
U

Quote:

It's hard to disagree with you on this James. The war was a good thing but now it's time to let go, it serves no purpose anymore.

Are they "uninformed twits" only when they disagree with you?
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 08:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
It's hard to disagree with you on this James. The war was a good thing but now it's time to let go, it serves no purpose anymore.

Are they "uninformed twits" only when they disagree with you?
Well, I think it's fair to say that it serves a negative purpose.

Of course, that's just my opinion. And yours. And the industry executives over at WB. And the industry executives over at Best Buy. And Woolworths. And Netflix. Did I mention Blockbuster?
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 09:06 PM

I agree U. Was good, now it's tiring and embarrassing.

I don't think the blu camp sees HD DVD as a threat at all now. I don't think we will see anymore perks except more players and movie saturating the market for lower prices.

The head to head stuff appears to be done.

Panasonic Bluray DMPBD30 - Toshiba 52XV540 120Hz LCD HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR605 with 7.1
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-02-11, 09:51 PM
Veteran

I agree the head to head stuff is not on their radar anymore. What they need to do now is convince people that there is one HDM format and why they should pay more for the players and discs over DVD's and make the conversion. That is going to be a lot harder IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.