Getting rid of The Box. Any Hulu/YoutubeTV/SlingTV-like service available in CA? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Getting rid of The Box. Any Hulu/YoutubeTV/SlingTV-like service available in CA?

Hi

I know that south of the border, they got online TV subscription service like , Hulu+Live TV, Playstation Vue, or Sling TV and i'm wondering if we are lucking enough to have such service in Canada where i could subscribe to a couple of canadian channel and watch them without having to acquire their box but choosing my own (AppleTV, AndroidTv, Chromecast...) .

Anyone knows of such service available here in Canada ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 06:29 PM
Veteran

There isn't anything comparable to Hulu or Sling. Some channels stream shows on their web sites. A few don't require a BDU subscription but many do. For regular network shows, OTA is the best bet but that depends on location. CraveTV has some shows a few days after they are aired but it's not as comprehensive as Hulu.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 06:38 PM
Veteran

So far the only streaming subscriptions with live news and some content are CBC TV and CBS all access. I currently have both of them as a free trial and am pretty happy with them but CBS still has some glitches once in a while. Bell has not allowed yet it’s News or sports stations to be available via streaming and no subscription to tv service.
Rogers has Sportsnet available for streaming with no subscription to tv service.
Having pretty good OTA reception and CBC streaming I am getting very close to cutting the cord. Most likely after the World Cup I will do it.

Last edited by 57; 2018-05-14 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 04:45 PM

Here's one option, but you need Bell Fibe Internet and it's only available in Ontario and Quebec. It works with Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick (Basic Edition) and Google certified Android TV (Sony Android TVs, NVIDIA SHIELD TV and Xiaomi Mi Box.)

See thread: Bell Fibe Alt TV streaming service

Check the Bell web site for current channel prices.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-15, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-05-16, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Might as well include other IPTV services such as Zazeen, Vmedia and Netfox. The only one I've heard good things about is Netfox. Their TV options are comparable but they have cheaper internet options and are available almost anywhere that high speed fibre, DSL2 or cable internet are available.

Alt TV is Bell's answer to IPTV services that have sprung up and appears to offer little extra in features or value. After looking at Bell's offering, it becomes evident that it's not going to save anyone much money over a regular BDU. IPTV services are highly regulated by the CRTC and are differentiated mainly by price, quality of service, quality of hardware and availability. They often lack some important features such as PVR recording and the ability to watch on more than one device simultaneously.

Tags
online tv provider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in