Netflix and terrorism blamed for London Tube ridership decline - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-17, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Netflix and terrorism blamed for London Tube ridership decline

Check this out:

Netflix and terrorism blamed for London Tube ridership decline - Rail - Metro Magazine

Come on London Transit. Putting the blame on someone else, when maybe its yourselves and your service that ridership is dropping?Don't believe it for a second.

Articular courtesy of Metro-For Transit & Motor Coach Business.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-18, 10:24 AM

So this year it is terrorism and Netflix, last year they blamed Uber/Ride Sharing and "Digital Commuting"/Working from Home.

If governments want more people to take public transit, get cars off the road, etc. make all public transit FREE. For all the money spent on junk link Presto cards and other payment systems, maintenance on payment systems, gates, etc. on buses/trains/subways, and transfer costs for riders from region to region or system to system, the savings of eliminating fares would offset the costs of the systems/people to collect them.

Just imagine in an area like the GTA where you could use GO Transit, TTC, Regional Transit, PU Express, and other government funded transit for free - it would change the game and would be a large incentive to get cars off the road.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-18, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Do you want to pay more taxes to help cover the costs of maintenance?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-18, 03:04 PM

I would just like to see a study how much money these various transit payment systems make, and the cost of running them. If 50% of every transit dollar is going to just payment systems, kiosks, ticketing employees, gates, security etc. that isn't needed if the fares were free, it may be a discussion. At this point the numbers are hidden as operating costs.

There is a lot of costs/maintenance in the payment systems alone - and a lot of subsidies go to transit as fares don't cover costs.

An example of a free system I use is in downtown Buffalo, NY - the Metrorail is free for me to use from downtown to Buffalo Sabres games - I can park away from the arena, get a free ride to just outside the arena. If I had to pay a small fare ($2 or $3 per person with me) it wouldn't be worth it and we would park elsewhere, eat elsewhere, etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-18, 03:32 PM

Those numbers are not hidden, they're publicly available. It varies from agency to agency, but I'm not aware of any where those costs exceed 5% of the agency's costs. The vast, vast majority of operating costs are operations staff (operators, cleaners, transit control, etc), maintenance, and fuel (diesel or electricity).

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-20, 12:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Do you want to pay more taxes to help cover the costs of maintenance?
What might make sense is to tax the roads, parking and infrastructure required to support cars in dense urban areas served by public transit. That way, the people who cause traffic problems help finance the cure. Some cities have gone so far as to ban cars in dense urban areas. London, England is one example. That's why many people must take "the tube." In other cities, such as New York, it's just too costly to own cars so most people live within walking distance to work or use public transport. The problem then becomes one of keeping public transport maintained as there are limited alternatives.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-01-20, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I can't comment on all Transit agencies, but in most cases Publicly owned transit systems are funded 4 ways-Federal(gas taxes or transit funding),State/Province(same as feds),City taxes & fares.

To run the TTC its over a billion dollars a year.

The issue with offering "free Transit" won't work as:

1)you'll always have those that will never take Public Transit
2) the cost factor for tax/gas fund will go up greatly to pay for the loss of fares.

The issue with the Presto cards(in Ontario run by Metro Link )is that if you don't use their system the province won't give you any portion of the Provincial Gas Tax(another Liberal "Buddies aka Metro Link)

What you have to realize is running a Municipal Transit system is not cheap. As an example the TTC's Novabuses 60 foot artics cost over $650,000/unit. Go's Alexander Dennis E500's(Double Decker's) cost well over $750,000/unit, OC Tranpo's NFI D60LFR(artics)cost over $750,000/unit. So that's just for buses and if you operate a multi transit system(IE subway,Streetcars,Buses-TTC,Buses & Trains-GO Transit,Buses,Diesel Trains-O Train & LRT(2018)-OC Transpo your cost are even higher.

Getting back to the original post, yes Public Transit has competition -IE Car sharing,Uber,Taxi's etc, but to blame it on Terrorism & Netflix come on.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.