If you stream and are into Sci-Fi/Superheroes, be prepared to pay. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-09, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-09, 09:25 PM
Veteran

Well, luckily we won't have to worry about the Disney/Netflix deal at least for now. With regards to the DC movies, let's wait for more than one decent movie from that universe (Wonder Woman)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-10, 11:50 AM
Veteran

Another scenario is that Disney won't launch in Canada and Netflix will retain the Canadian rights. Disney content could also go to another service such as CraveTV.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-10, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Most likely Disney will want to have their service available in Canada. Nobody knows for sure now.
To me it looks that there will be more and more streaming services with less content and high prices. Very bad news for customers who are being gauged by Tv service providers and will have to pay a lot more to access streaming content outside of tv subscription.
To me if Netflix will lose Marvel content, it will become useless service and not worth $12 a month.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-11, 12:00 PM
Veteran

I also suspect that specialized studio services such as Disney will eventually go worldwide with their content. The proliferation of these types of services will definitely take value away from more generalized services such a Netflix and disproportionately drive up consumer costs. What will happen to the Disney Channel Canada when a Disney owned streaming service goes live here? Will Canadian BDU subscribers get stuck paying for another zombie channel?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-11, 07:16 PM

Anybody with half a brain could have seen this coming a mile away.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 11:25 AM
Veteran

First the good news...

Star Wars and Iron Man may not disappear from Netflix in 2019 after all

Then more good news... or is it?
The no-sports streaming bundle is coming soon from Viacom, Discovery, and others
Since this new service includes AMC, it could mean that AMC (and other) programming disappears from Netflix. At US$20/mo it won't be cheap and availability in Canada is unknown.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-13, 10:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan
To me if Netflix will lose Marvel content, it will become useless service and not worth $12 a month.
If Netflix @ $12/month isn't worth it, that's setting your value requirements so high, no other service would be "worth it" either.

Can you point out any non-free video service that is "worth it"? Certainly no Canadian BDU would quality.

I wonder how many commercial free 4K channels I can get from a Canadian BDU for $14/month.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 05:59 AM
Veteran

Crave Tv would certainly qualify and it would carry new Star Trek show as well, for less than what Netflix charges.
When Netflix loses all Marvel content I most certainly will look into getting Disney service instead of Netflix.
One thing is for sure that I will not be subscribing to all the streaming services at the same time.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-09-14 at 01:49 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 11:13 AM

The consumer response to fragmentation will likely be service rotation, subscribing to a service that carries content they are interested in for a month or two at a time, then moving on to the next. Only those who insist on watching everything immediately upon release would need to maintain multiple simultaneous subscriptions, and those people may find that a traditional cable package offers better value.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Service rotation is a good option. However, I see services moving to counteract such measures by consumers. Just as BDUs implemented fees for account suspension and reactivation, OTT services will likely do the same. Bleeding loyal customers is a tradition in mature industries as they attempt to maintain increases revenues and profits.

I cautiously like the move to offering OTT bundles that are cheaper as a whole. OTT could end up like traditional TV services where individual channels are much more expensive than they cost in a package. The only questions are as to how bundles will be assembled and who will offer them. If it ends up with OTT channels only being available in bundles and not individually as they are now, we'll be no better off than with BDUs.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 02:37 PM

I could see free trials being eliminated and the price month to month subscriptions may go up with discounts offered for long term contracts ( $15-20/month or $120/year instead of $10/month), but I don't see how anyone would benefit from more middlemen squeezing their way into the market.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan
One thing is for sure that I will not be subscribing to all the streaming services at the same time.
Shocking! From what you've said in earlier posts, I thought your position that if you don't have cable you must subscribe to every last one.
emmy1500 likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-15, 03:03 PM
Veteran

Fragmentation is about to get worse.

Apple Sets Aside '$1 Billion War Chest' for Hollywood Programming

In order to keep its market position, Netflix is also reported to be investing $6 billion in new, original programming. Other OTT services are also reported to be spending large amounts for original content.

That is putting pressure on traditional broadcasters and even movie studios as many don't have the money to compete for talent or produce the large projects being made by OTT services. (HBO is now an OTT service in addition to being a traditional broadcaster.) In future, OTT services may be the only way to see superheroes and other high quality programming since they are the only ones producing it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2017-09-16, 05:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
In order to keep its market position, Netflix is also reported to be investing $6 billion in new, original programming. Other OTT services are also reported to be spending large amounts for original content.
This is a good thing.

Compare TV today to TV ~10-15 years ago. Frankly, there was very little superhero content to be had. We had the occasional Marvel movie, and "Heroes" on NBC.

TV shows have improved dramatically in both quality and quantity. The fact that companies like Apple, Netflix, and Amazon are all investing lots of money into creating content means that TV viewers have plenty of choice of high quality scripted TV content. Ten years ago, traditional TV networks were scaling back their high quality content production in favor of "reality TV" - stuff like The Bachelor and The Apprentice.

Pros:
1 - Much more high quality content available to consumers. I don't have even close to enough time to watch all the great content that I want to watch.
2 - Many more opportunities for content creators to "get funded". More jobs for actors, more jobs for writers, etc.
3 - The Internet provides all this entertainment for very little money (compared to cable), and lets you only buy the content/services you want. This was something that BDUs said was impossible to do (for years!), although it seems easily done by OTT providers. Funny how that works.
4 - You can enjoy this content without buying expensive, proprietary hardware from a BDU. In many cases, you can enjoy it "on the go" because companies like Netflix are providing a legal way to cache this content on your device. In the past, if you wanted to watch your recorded content on a trip, you had to break some laws.

To put points 3 & 4 in perspective, Netflix costs $14/month for their premium plan which provides 4K content. My local Cable TV provider (Shaw) wants $15/month to rent their BlueSky TV box, plus $5/month for each "portal" client device. Worse still, the BlueSky TV hardware doesn't even support 4K video resolution! And that's just hardware rental. You still need to pay for cable channels above and beyond that.

Cons:
- Disruption of traditional networks will mean that people will lose jobs, and business models will be destroyed.

To be fair to Shaw, I should mention: if you sign a 2-year contract and have their highest tier Internet service (150mbps), then Shaw discounts the BlueSky box from $15/month to $5/month. Portals still seem to cost $5/month each according to their contract. If you really want the "4 concurrent streams" experience that you get from Netflix's premium plan, you would need a BlueSky box + 4 portals, which would be a $25/month fee in the 2-year contract scenario.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.