Amazon Prime Video is coming to Canada. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-17, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Amazon Prime Video is coming to Canada.

This December Amazon Prime may be coming to Canada.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...to-canada.html
YvonG4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-17, 07:29 PM

Great article. I wonder how full their library will be since RoBelUs outbids for content. I get US Prime via VPN, some very good programs there.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-18, 02:23 AM

@nerakmacd Amazon wasn't bidding for Canadian rights to content. In fact, Amazon Studios was selling Canadian rights for Transparent to shomi and Bosch to CraveTV.

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-18, 11:44 AM

Amazon set to stream new Jeremy Clarkson show in Canada - Business - CBC News
Quote:
When asked for confirmation that a rollout of video streaming is imminent, a spokesman with Amazon was coy. "We are excited to announce that The Grand Tour will be able to be streamed from over 200 countries and territories around the world in December," Kaan Yalkin said.
When asked to elaborate as to whether that means a full Prime video launch is coming, Yalkin dodged the question.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/11/am...lia-right-now/

Australian residents have been able to sign up to the U.S. site for $US10.99 per month using an Australian address and credit card. However, here is Amazon's official response:
Quote:
Amazon has finally weighed in on this, saying that Amazon Prime has not launched in Australia: "We have not launched Amazon Prime in Australia. The service some Australians have signed-up for is the US or UK Prime Membership, which provides free, fast shipping within the US or UK, as well as access to some Amazon Originals, such as The Grand Tour, where we have the global rights." Fact remains that you can still watch it right now, though.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 01:17 PM

I saw this on Twitter today:
Quote:
I am pretty sure Amazon Prime Video is actually already here in Canada - using Chrome browser it worked for me this weekend $AMZN

... if you are a prime member like me, just go and start watching an Amazon movie/tv show - it will stream
https://twitter.com/NewtonGroupSM/st...411968?lang=en
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It is available the same way as Hulu. You need VPN or proxy to watch Amazon Prime Video in Canada.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 06:58 PM

@bev fan I got the impression that Amazon Prime Video in Canada works without any trickery, although the selection might be different.

As I was writing this, I started poking around Amazon.com and found this official comment:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94A5GQ/
Quote:
The Grand Tour is Going Global
For our global fans who cannot wait for The Grand Tour's official worldwide launch in December, you can subscribe to our US Prime Membership to start streaming weekly episodes of The Grand Tour today.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 08:51 PM
Premium Supporter

There is an article today on the subject from mobilesyrup:

You can now stream Amazon Prime Video original content in Canada

Quote:
Despite the lack of an official announcement from Amazon, it looks like Amazon Prime Video originals are now available to stream in Canada, at least some of them.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

@Dr.Dave
I have just tried Amazon Prime Video and only few shows are available in Canada now under Watch Abroad section including The Grand Tour.
I have tried using VPN but it does not work with Amazon Prime.
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-22, 09:30 AM

My guess is that anything that Amazon has Canadian rights to stream will work here in Canada. However, an interface only showing content eligible to be watched in Canada (including content not available in the US) won't appear until the official launch.

It may just be a coincidence, but it seems like one heck of a coincidence that Amazon Prime Video is expected to go live in Canada in December, and Shomi is going dark as of November 30...

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-22, 10:01 AM

Rumours about Amazon Video coming to Canada have been around for several months. I suspect the execs at shomi knew that Amazon was coming to Canada, since reports are that Amazon has been withholding international rights to the more recent programs that they are producing themselves and are also acquiring rights from the Hollywood studios.

The Rogers board came to the conclusion that shomi could never turn a profit while competing against Netflix, Amazon and CraveTV. I think the exact timing is a bit of a coincidence, but I believe the fact that Amazon Video was coming to Canada forced Rogers to evaluate their prospects for the service. Shaw had already written off their entire investment and probably were no longer interested in being a partner since they had sold all their media assets to Corus (which didn't want shomi.)
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-29, 09:54 AM

In an article from the 29th Nov, Bell mentioned in front of the CRTC that Amazon Prime would be rolling out in Canada on Dec. 1st. They mentioned it while complaining (as usual) that Amazon would not be subject to the same regulatory requirements as local providers! (They also moaned about Netflix at the same time).

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/29/be...1st-in-canada/

Vizio P55-C1, Pioneer VSX-1130K, Oppo BDP 103
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-29, 02:04 PM

I saw that article as well. I guess we'll know more in a few days.

These days I take everything I see on mobilesyrup with a grain of salt. The quality of that site has gone way downhill since Daniel Bader left.
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-29, 04:42 PM

Here's another article that quotes Bell Media for the Dec. 1 start date as well as other sources:

Amazon Prime Video service may launch in Canada in just two days - Article - BNN
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 2016-11-29, 05:35 PM

Also Amazon Video Will launch App as Well

M.Lausmann

Last edited by 57; 2016-11-29 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.