Global GO and Chromecast - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jase88

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Global GO and Chromecast

Hi all, two weeks ago I decided to go out and buy a Chromecast. I have been getting alot of enjoyment out of it !!!! Today, however I downloaded the Global Go App and discovered that I couldn't cast shows on it to my Chromecast. iThe ONLY thing that has worked for me is using my HDMI cord to view the shows online connected to my tablet. Is there another way for me to play it on my Chromecast? Or is th HDMI option the best one? I have heard that Chromecast works with the CTV Go App.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 03:18 AM

you could try casting the entire screen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 07:23 AM

I encourage you to send an email to Viewer Contact at Global, and request this functionality. Global seems to be responsive to such feedback...and you never know, it might be a simple thing for them to enable.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 02:42 PM

As Mike mentioned, you can try to cast the Global.com web page from Google Chrome on a PC to your Chromecast device. Another option might be if your TV provider has their own app that supports Chromecast.

Supporting Chromecast isn't a trivial task, but I'm sure the company that Global contracts their app development out to knows how to do it, so they might add that feature when they open the app for enhancements.

I can confirm that CTV GO added Chromecast support about a year ago
Bell Media launches "TV Everywhere" live streaming & on demand

Here's a useful link that lists Chromecast-compatible apps:
https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chromecast/apps/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

The thing is, when I go to the Global TV website and try to watch shows from there to cast, it won't let me. It tells me to install the Global Go App which I did already. What apps will work to cast the entire screen before going into a browser? Anyone know? Also I did e-mail Global TV about it. I suppose the HDMI corded port option is still a good one though, even if I have to take out my Chromecast first from the HDTV (But it does display once I do) I have cable on the second HDMI port. Thanks.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-01-30 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: I installed Miracast Shortcut and now I can cast outside of the browser without having to use my HDMI cord. Works with the Global Go app too. Even this screen is currently casted ! I LOVE this.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 08:48 PM

This is from the Chromecast site:

1. Open the Chrome browser on your laptop.
  2. Add the Google Cast extension from the Chrome Web Store.
  3. Visit any website in Chrome.
  4. Click the Cast button in the Chrome browser and select your Chromecast.

If this is what you did, maybe the Global web site isn't compatible for some reason. I don't have a Chromecast, so I can't verify it.

Edit: I see you got it working as I was posting this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 08:58 PM
Veteran

Not all TV Apps will cast. Bell's for example actually displays a message telling you that casting is not allowed either from within the APP or by casting the device screen. I presume there may be some legalities involved.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
This is from the Chromecast site:

1. Open the Chrome browser on your laptop.
    Add the Google Cast extension from the Chrome Web Store.
    Visit any website in Chrome.
    Click the Cast button in the Chrome browser and select your Chromecast.

If this is what you did, maybe the Global web site isn't compatible for some reason. I don't have a Chromecast, so I can't verify it.

Edit: I see you got it working as I was posting this.
Thanks ! I tried that earlier but my Android Tablet wouldn't support it.....and yes, the app I downloaded now Miracast works fine and has solved my issue. I can see all my other apps on my main screen now and open them up while casting !
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
Not all TV Apps will cast. Bell's for example actually displays a message telling you that casting is not allowed either from within the APP or by casting the device screen. I presume there may be some legalities involved.
CTV GO is ok to cast and I don't use HBO GO but thats a premium service so I can see why in that case. I doubt it would be a problem ! I'm moving too tomorrow and have to wait to be installed again on Monday with my services. If I miss my shows on my Rogers Cable in the meantime or they don't show up that day (It has happened to me in the Past) this is a great option with Global Go when I get re-connected.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2016-01-30 at 10:28 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-07-25, 04:11 PM

I have both Chromecast and Global Go on my iPod Touch; not exactly a fan of watching an hour-long TV show on a very small screen. So, I clicked on the "Send Feedback" button on the app and asked if they were thinking of supporting it in the future. Here's the response, FYI.

-----

We appreciate your interest in using Chromecast with our app, currently we do not support Chromecast on our Shaw Go apps. The present design of Chromecast has a feature to buffer the stream and save a portion of the video onto the internal memory of your device. This presently violates our license and DRM as the app cannot be downloaded onto devices, it is available to stream only. In future we may support such a feature, if Chromecast has any updates to disable such a feature we may also be able to support it.

-----

So, it looks like a licencing issue, primarily. I think he meant, instead of saying, "the app cannot be downloaded onto devices" (erm, I downloaded/installed it onto my iPod, no?), something about data not being allowed to be downloaded onto a device. Or something. I dunno.

Anyway, that's your answer.

Oddly, as someone else on these forums has mentioned, the CTV Go app works well with Chromecast. Perhaps they were able to wrangle a different deal.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-07-26, 09:39 AM

I think that they were mistaken in what you were trying to do... or didnt know what a chromecast was :P Probably a 1st level tech with no background.

Maybe the App on one platform vs the other, one works with it vs the other? (android vs iOS).

Generally for CASTING.. weither chromecast or airplay, it IS something that needs to be 'enabled' in the app.. that they can set it up to BLOCK.

I know that SHOMI app did not support airplay or chromecast initially.

Some of it, may have to do with LICENSING too. (at least form some things that i have read).
Many of the content owners, dont want people, who havent paid for the content, to view it.
Having the casting option opens it more up to, you taking your device elsewhere, to let a group who havent paid for it, to watch it.
Though i think many have given up on this.. as just the same you could have them over to YOUR Place, where you did pay for it, etc.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-07-26, 08:57 PM

Buffering occurs on any type of streaming service...it doesn't appear to be a DRM issue for Shomi, Netflix, Crave or other services. Either way, I'm sure it's easy to implement security that would prevent anyone from exploiting the buffered content for piracy.
tux likes this.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-07-27, 11:37 AM
Veteran

I agree. This is just a lame excuse by Global. The Chromecast provides adequate security to satisfy most copyright holders. From my past experiences with Shaw, who owns Global, I suspect they are just too cheap to license and develop the technology needed for using the Chromecast with the Global Go app.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 11:46 AM

I was the original poster to this topic. I couldn't remember the password and e-mail I used with my other account, but anyhow my Apple IPAD Airplay 2 and Iphone work great when I use Airplay to send the Global GO videos to my Apple TV 4. Just thought I'd update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.