Chromecast and NHL GameCentre Live - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-01-26, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Chromecast and NHL GameCentre Live

I am a subscriber to Rogers NHL GameCentre Live. I usually watch the games on my PC or sometimes on my iPhone 6. All are fine with those.

I recently bought Chromecast and I wanted to use it to cast the games from the devices to my TV. Strange thing. Last night I cast the game using my iPhone. I started before the game started so it went into pre-game waiting screen. 5 minutes after the scheduled start, still waiting screen. So I checked using my PC, turned out the game had started on-time. I stopped the cast from my iPhone, and my iPhone immediately showed the game in progress.

So what happened? Why did the cast turn into the waiting screen when I used my iPhone? Is it an incompatibility issue between iOS device and Chromecast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-01-26, 04:27 PM

My guess is that it started from the very beginning of their stream, not from the point where it's live like it should have. As to why? No idea.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 10:09 AM

Could be the app specific itself.

Not all apps are 'castable' or Airplay-able itself.

I know this came up with Shomi early on.. you could watch on the phone itself.. but you could not cast or airplay the content to an airplay device like an apple TV.
This was later changed with the Shomi app.. works now.

(weither this part is true or not.. I have read some things that this was designed around licensing.. as when you pay for X service, you pay for YOU to watch it. With something like airplay.. you could then cast it anywhere.. in an environment where there are 1000's of people who have not paid for it..
Again, weither this is right no not.. is beyond me)

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 11:14 PM
Veteran

But GCL is a Chromecast app unlike for example Bell TV's. I think the bug is in Chromecast itself. For some reason it can seem to freeze on the device to which you are casting even though the program is running normally on the casting device. I've had this happen a good number of times. The only solution I've found is to shut down the Chromecast and then restart it again. It also seems to help if you clear the cache on your casting device before starting Chromecast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.