Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

SHOMI streaming service (shut down Nov. 30, 2016)

40K views 141 replies 46 participants last post by  Exid0r 
#1 ·
Please use this thread to discuss the shomi streaming service, which is now available to all Canadians. The previous thread in the TV Providers forum discussing the initial "beta" launch to Rogers and Shaw customers is now closed to new comments, but is still available for viewing.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-...ers-shaw-launching-shomi-streaming-video.html

shomi is equally owned by Rogers and Shaw and is available through those companies or directly from shomi.

Useful Links:
shomi web site: shomi | A New Kind of Video Streaming Service
Rogers shomi support: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/search?scope=support&term=shomi
Shaw shomi support: https://community.shaw.ca/community/shomi

#2 ·
It's kind of insane to me that Shomi doesn't advertise what content they have, nor do they announce new content. I started a trial only because I saw stuff on their Apple TV app that does show their content (probably because Apple makes them) that wasn't there the last time I checked. Content is their big differentiator. They should be screaming it everywhere.

#7 ·
I tried to sign up for the now 2 month free trial, but their POS website wouldn't take my credit card. Called customer service and they said to call the credit card company. There is nothing wrong with the card, I use it online all the time.in fact I could see on online banking where they went and did the 1 cent transaction to verify it is a good card.
Thought after if this is a sign of their tech support I might be better off without it.Maybe put that money towards a VPN.

Bob

#8 ·
There are plenty of websites that will tell you what content is available on Netflix. For example, this one shows you what's on Netflix (Canada vs USA):

Complete Alphabetical List: A - K Sun, Jan 17, 2016

Really, what you want is a website that indexes all of the content from the various providers, so if you search for a show it'll tell you where it's available online. That would be quite helpful.

#10 ·
Just Watch is, in theory, the perfect solution. In practice, I find it isn't completely accurate. For example, it says the Martian is available on iTunes and PlayStation, but I know it's available on Google Play, and other things are listed as available on Google Play.

If I can't rely on it to be accurate, I won't use it.

#12 ·
shomi Signs Comprehensive Deal with Corus Entertainment for Slate of Nickelodeon Series

The deal includes more than 700 half-hour episodes for 21 hit series – including six that stream exclusively on shomi.

New and exclusive to shomi are Nick series Penguins of Madagascar; Rabbids Invasion; Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn; and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (turtle power!). The deal also includes the exclusive streaming rights to Avatar: The Last Airbender and shomi's #1 kids' show, Bubble Guppies.

More must-see and new to shomi titles include Dora & Friends; Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness; Monsters vs. Aliens; Ren & Stimpy; Sam & Cat; Sanjay and Craig;and Victorious. Plus hit Nick favourites Dora the Explorer; Go, Diego, Go!; The Fairly OddParents; Fanboy & Chum Chum; Team Umizoomi; SpongeBob SquarePants; and iCarly continues to stream on shomi.

With more than 7,200 episodes and 200 movies for kids, shomi is the only Canadian-owned streaming service featuring kids and family content. Stream safely with shomi's parental features by creating kid's profiles that only allow for G and PG-rated content to be viewed. Now available to all Canadians, families can enjoy shomi online, on select tablets, mobile devices, set top boxes (on Rogers Channel 300 or through the Shaw On Demand menu), Xbox 360, Apple TV, and Chromecast. And until January 31st, when signing up at shomi.com, members enjoy shomi's regular one month free trial, plus a second month as shomi's gift to new customers.

#15 ·
Experience a New Way to Play with shomi. Now Available on PlayStation 4

Grab the popcorn and the controller, shomi is now available on the PlayStation 4 (PS4) system. The PS4 system streams from the shomi app, meaning members will get the full shomi experience, in HD quality, on their TV screen.

How does it work? First, secure your activation code through the shomi app on the PS4 system. Then head to shomi.com/activate, select PS4, and log in. Once you enter your activation code you'll be ready to start streaming on your PS4 system. Members can access all that shomi has to offer, including the full functionality of the shomi online experience such as easily resuming from where you left off, adding titles to your shomi Later list, curated shomi Collections for all ages, and up to six profiles per account. Just log on and play!

shomi is available to all Canadians! Entertainment lovers can enjoy shomi online, on select tablets, mobile devices, and on set top boxes (on Rogers Channel 300 or through the Shaw On Demand menu).

#16 ·
Shomi's additions for February 2016:

Feb. 3

"Australia"
"Unstoppable"

Feb. 5

"The Blues Brothers"
"Fried Green Tomatoes"
"Galaxy Quest"
"The Great Outdoors"
"Jaws"
"The Jerk"
"Mozart in the Jungle" (season 2)
"Repo Man"
"Scent of a Woman"
"Uncle Buck"
"Xena Warrior Princess" (season 1-6)

Feb. 7

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (season 1-2)

Feb. 12

"Always"
"America's Next Top Model" (season 22)
"Baby Daddy" (season 4)
"The Burbs"
"Coal Miner's Daughter"
"Comfort and Joy"
"Definitely. Maybe."
"Dragon: Bruce Lee Story"
"Going Berserk"
"Monty Python's Meaning of Life"
"Somewhere in Time"
"They Live"
"Tremors"
"Van Helsing"

Feb. 15

"Gladiator"
"Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!" (season 1-2)

Feb. 19

"Brewster's Millions"
"Death Becomes Her"
"Howard the Duck"
"Junior"
"Kindergarten Cop"
"King of the Hill"
"Mad Dog and Glory"
"Mad Dogs" (season 1)
"The Money Pit"
"Monsters VS. Aliens" (season 1)
"Nine Months"
"Parenthood"
"Road to Perdition"
"Twins"
"Two and a Half Men" (season 6-11)

Feb. 26

"The Americans" (season 3)
"Archer" (season 3)
"Cape Fear" (1991)
"Cat People"
"Cool as Ice"
"Empire State"
"Into the Night"
"Out of Africa"
"Pure Luck"
"There Will Be Blood"
"Too Wong Foo, Thanks…"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.