Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix Issues - Smart TV, PS3 ...

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sybok 
#1 ·
We have had Netflix for several years and never had an issue. About a month ago Netflix on the Sharp Aquos and PS3 both started having issues. It takes a long time to load the episodes or movies and then frequently reloads throughout the viewing of them. For a 22 minute tv episode it can take 35 minutes to watch ... or longer.

We called our internet company, they checked from their end to our house ... we did speed tests and nothing has changed there. We even swapped our our wireless router to a dual band router and put the tv on it's own network ... still having issues.

Has anyone else had issues like this and if so, how did you resolve? At this point we may have to cancel Netflix as it is such a pain to watch.

Thanks!

#4 ·
We had new neighbours move in and am suspecting now (thanks for mentioning it) that their WiFi is overpowering mine. Is there a way I can determine their channel so that I can change mine to try?

Hardwiring is not simple due to the location of the tv. Will look in to that further too.

Thanks!

#8 ·
That's not surprising.

Usually the best channels to choose, to avoid overlap, are often 1, 6 and 11.

Many ones that have pre-sets in, will often be on 6... leaving many people side by side on the same channel :(
At least if they had put it on AUTO, might choose something and avoid the overlap.

#9 ·
Love this discussion. Ever since switching from Rogers to Bell the wifi has been horrible. Part of it is the router is terrible -- very , weak (router is on main floor, left side of the house; desktop is second store bedroom, right side of the house, connection is quite weak). But sometimes, even when I'm on the main floor with my tablet or laptop, it goes beyond terrible. Speeds below 1M (speedtest app) and pings over 1 second. I always wondered if it was something I could change in configuration.

Anyhow, I installed inSSIDer and will keep it running -- next time wifi goes "beyond terrible" I'll see if it can show me something. In the meantime, I have a couple questions:

1. My home wifi network is typically the second strongest, around -53dB, with one of the neighbors coming in at at -52 or slightly better. I'm on channel 11 and theirs is on 6, so I assume that's not a problem. There is another network on 11 but it's around -89dB. That's not enough to cause issues, is it?
2. My HP printer shows up as another network, also on 11, and with a fairly strong signal. This is a printer set up in standalone mode where I can print to it without a controlling PC. Is it actually a separate network, then, an being on the same channel it creates issues? Or is this perfectly normal?

#11 ·
WPR:
1. I echo GZinc's recommendation - seems to be a consensus that Bell's modem's WiFi is not of the greatest
2. Your wifi network's channel 11 is sharing throughput for both the printer and TV (from the sound of it). If your issues are only when printer is functioning, turn it off when not needed.
3. Hard wire is much superior for TV throughput - otherwise see #1

#12 ·
On the HP printer note..

There are a few things for it...

For a regular setup.. there it should connect to your regular wifi.. and not have any broadcast of its own.
You should be able to print wirelessly from anywhere in your house as long as your on your home network.

If its showing up its own SSID.. its for its eprint or another feature, forget the name.. which allows you to connect to ITS wifi to print to it direct.
Which really isn't needed, if you have your own wireless network there.

Disable the feature.. May remove some issues.

#13 ·
Just a quick update on Netflix ... turns out where I live the whole area is having issues, not just me. Something with the fibre optics coming in to the area or with the equipment somewhere. Our internet provider finally admitted that there is something wrong with them - after telling everyone to change routers, hard wire, etc - none of that made any difference.

Still not fixed yet but at least I know it is not with me. Thanks for all the advice - love the support from digital home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.