What are you watching via streaming? (and discussion of said titles) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-08-28, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

What are you watching via streaming? (and discussion of said titles)

We've got a thread for movies viewed on Blu-ray and one for flicks on DVD, so maybe it's time for a thread specifically for movies viewed via streaming (iTunes, Netflix, etc.).

The thread should work the same way as the other two threads, the only difference being that a contributor should indicate which service s/he used to obtain the movie being reviewed.

(Optionally, a contributor could include additional info. such as whether the movie was streamed in SD or HD, 720p or 1080p, etc., if/as applicable.)

If the mods think this thread makes sense, please make it a "sticky" (like the other two threads).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-08-29, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Okay, we watch a lot of streamed shows. Here's a few that are recommended:

Netflix Series: Happy Valley, The Fall, Call the Midwife, Low Winter Sun, Louie the Series, Hell on Wheels, The Glades, Longmire, Orange is the New Black, Top Gear. House of Cards, HOC BBC

Netflix Movies: Bond Movies, Croupier, Homefront, Redwood Highway, Hunt for Red October, Berlin Job

Vudu Movies: Need for Speed , Philomena, Wolf of Wallstreet, Captain Phillips, The Butler, Heaven is for Real, Lone Survivor.

Some of these the wife chose but I still enjoyed them. Theres a lot more that don't come to mind. at this time The problem with Netflix is finding out what to watch. A lot of the Brit series have turned out to be great.

WRT PQ, there have been no problems.....very happy here. The Need for Speed PQ was exceptional. WRT AQ, there is either 5.1 or pro logic, again no problems. There will be the odd older selection that is 2 channel stereo.

cheers....
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-08-29, 07:59 PM
Veteran

Ever since I got unlimited internet and turned the Netflix PQ up to max, the video quality has been excellent (should be said that both my smart TV and PS3 (two two main methods of watching Netflix) are wired into the router. However upstairs I use my Android tablet and a ChromeCast dongle -- even with the Bell wifi router being downstairs the PQ is good enough that I've never noticed any issues.

As to what we watch, quite a few UK crime dramas (Luther, Life on Mars, The Fall, Broadchurch, The Escape Artist and, likely, a few I've forgotten); House of Cards; Arrested Development (the reason I got Netflix in the first place). My kids consume large quantities, too (I don' think they'll ever be able to watch regular weekly TV). Even though I have all Lost seasons on BD they've watched it now on Netflix; same with Firefly (although that one's on DVD).

The interesting thing about our Netflix watching habits is that we hardly ever watch movies (and have access to both Canadian and US content).

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 02:55 AM
Veteran

No Cameras Allowed - A sort of real-life Almost Famous, about a USC film student who sneaks his way into music festivals, befriends Mumford & Sons, gets a commission from HBO to shoot the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona where he gets hoofed in the head, catches a ride from a Welsh trucker who looks like Sean Connery and takes 14 of his closest friends on a cross-country road trip in an RV.
Oh yeah, it's a documentary.
A fun little romp about the importance of always carrying yourself like you belong.
iTunes via Apple TV, PQ was a mixed bag due to the source material.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-09-16, 05:18 PM
Rookie

I never would have guessed, but the Bettie Page documentary on Netflix was awesome! She had a pretty interesting life story, and while I knew she was famous, I didn't really get why, or how famous she was. I highly recommend it.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 04:09 PM
Veteran

The Honourable Woman

Just an excellent series well worth watching. It takes place in the UK and Middle East and involves the Israeli/Palestine conflict. Its exciting and really clever/involved. You do need to pay attention.

I watched it on Vudu but its available for free on the CBC starting next week.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 06:36 PM

The Honourable Woman: Agreed - total blast. Kept me on the edge of my seat through the twists and turns.
Watched it on BBC iPlayer Download - to get 28 days' playback.
(Unfortunately, didn't twig there were eight episodes - only downloaded available seven - so am waiting for CBC to catch up).

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 08:17 PM
Veteran

You're going to wait two months for episode 8

I noticed that the CBC has allocated one hour for each of the episodes. The running time on what I watched was 58 minutes. I wonder whats going to happen?

Last edited by otown47; 2014-09-27 at 08:34 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-09-29, 03:33 PM

I suspect the usual pair of CBC scissors will be wielded to fit in commercials at inappropriate places in the script, having seen some of their past butchery (remember Dr Who?).

Delightful to watch it on BBC - just didn't realize there was one more episode to grab off their website, as it hadn't been broadcast yet.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-10-04, 08:46 PM

Since buying Apple TV. Like watching,podcasts IPad Today with Leo Laporte, Get Connected, and Meet The Cast. ( Interviewing casts from Downton Abbey).

What we do in life echoes in eternity.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-11-02, 01:17 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Begin Again - John Carney musical follow-up to Once has a much bigger budget, slicker look and top-line cast including Keira Knightly, Mark Ruffalo and Catherine Keener. But he's still got a keen ear for music and a strong sense of storytelling and relationships in this rousing fable of a songwriter spurned by her musician boyfriend as he hits the bigtime, only to connect with disenchanted music executive eager to find a new star while staying true to his roots as a musician's musician.
Fine performances, good chemistry between the leads and a musical tour of New York City make for an enjoyable way to spend 100 minutes.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 2014-12-14, 02:25 AM
Veteran

The F... Word - Daniel Radcliff and Zooey Kazan meet at a party and hit it off. But Zooey already has a boyfriend. So the two agree to become friends. Although it's quite apparent there's a mutual attraction between them.
This is a slight, charming rom-com with some engaging characters. A pleasant evening of entertainment. And, as a bonus, the film is unabashedly set in Toronto.
andyk likes this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-01-24, 02:27 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Love is Strange - After nearly 40 years together, Alfred Molina and John Lightgow decide to make their union official. But their marriage brings an unintended consequence that tests their relationships with friends and family.
A tender, bittersweet little film about commitment and adversity with quiet, gentle performances by the two leads.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-03-07, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Lucy - A reluctant drug mule gets an accidental overdose of a synthetic drug that gives her increasingly extraordinary powers but will eventually kill her...but only if the mobster who thinks she stole his product doesn't kill her first.

Comments: The movie started off well and was entertaining for a while, then seemed to lose focus, got wildly improbable and "metaphysical" and ended with a "meh".

(The movie was a 720p HD download off iTunes. For some reason, the 5.1 track wasn't part of the download - I've sent an inquiry e-mail to iTunes Support about this - so I made do with the stereo track which was surprisingly good and which NEO:6 matrixed nicely into 5.1.)
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

John Wick - Former elite assassin John Wick has a nice car and a cute dog his deceased wife gave him as a parting gift. The foolish and impetuous son of a Russian mobster steals John Wick's car and kills his dog. As a result, very many people die.

Comments: The story is simple and the violence is plentiful. But it was entertaining.

(The movie was a 720p HD download off iTunes. No 5.1 track with this one, either. iTunes doesn't have an explanation. I'll start a separate "please help" thread to see if anyone might know what's going on.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.