Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Strange Occurrance (Canadian Commercials on US Sites)

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
I find it very strange that I'm seeing Canadian Commercials on US based Streaming services like HULU. Since HULU does not legally offer it's service to Canadians why do they broadcast Canadian commercials?? I'm accessing it through Unblock-US. I'm only guessing that the main portion of the HULU website is seeing a U.S. IP address but the ad-service they use might be seeing a Canadian IP address. Just guessing. I saw on several occasions a commercial for Rogers Cable and EXCEL gum on HULU during the programs i was viewing.

#2 ·
#3 ·
www.unblock-us.com is a Canadian based service that allows Canadians to view programming from popular U.S. based streaming services like HULU, Netflix, Tv.com, as well as programming from Britain and a few other locations. It works really well. It's kind of does what a VPN does. They must have something like it in the U.S. to allow them to view Canadian programming online as well as programming from Britain and other places.

#4 ·
... I'm only guessing that the main portion of the HULU website is seeing a U.S. IP address but the ad-service they use might be seeing a Canadian IP address. Just guessing...
That's it exactly. unblock-us is detecting a select list of sites (in this case hulu) and acting as a proxy for you. For other sites not on the list, it's not and is just providing DNS services. So the hulu site is using advertising from 3rd parties that are not proxied by unblock-us. And hence are serving up geo-located content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.