How to Obtain Hulu Plus Subscription - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-17, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

How to Obtain Hulu Plus Subscription

I am looking for help on how to obtain a Hulu Plus subscription in Canada, I am up to speed on accessing Hulu/Netflix through a VPN, however I can't get a clear answer on how to get a Hulu Plus account setu due to the requirement to have a US Credit Card.

Can anyone please help, what is the current work around for a Canadian to get a Hulu Plus account.

Many thank,

Detox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 01:33 AM

post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I've heard of this method but apparently it no longer works. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 02:40 PM

TD and BMO (perhaps others) have U.S. credit cards. I know it works with amazon . com for those purchases that need U.S. only.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 04:34 PM

I just use a prepaid mastercard that I get from Walmart in the US. For my address, I use my US PO Box.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 11:02 PM

SuperGenius

I was in Florida last week and wanted to use the prepaid card, however, they wanted the billing address of the card. Did you use an address you knew in the state ?
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 01:23 AM

*IF* (cough cough) I'd have to use a US address, I'd use an address of a US Post Office.

Cheers, K
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 11:03 AM

The address you setup for the prepaid card doesn't matter, just pick a US Post Office as Kraven said. Nothing will be sent there.
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 01:53 PM

I knew I should have picked up one while I was there...Thanks.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 01:46 PM

Detox, these cards work and can be bought online or at local corner stores etc.

http://www.prepaidgiftcardstore.com/Default.aspx

Once you get a visa like this in place what you can do for the next time you need to reload is get a usa-based friend buy a virtual hulu gift card for you and you can pay them.
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 08:38 AM
Rookie

I haven't tried this yet, but I have bought the prepaid visa... But these instructions seem perfect!!

http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/prepaid-visa
post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 06:27 PM

Thumbs up

I use entropay for vudu and my u.s. Netflix account. Doesn't work with iTunes but might work with hulu.
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 11:03 AM

Walmart prepaid visa not working

I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and I purchased a Walmart prepaid Visa card. I set it up with a US address and then registered a Hulu Plus account with it. The first week of Hulu is free so there was no charge applied to the card when I registered.

Once the free week was over, Hulu tried to charge the card and failed. I tried several times, re-entered all my info and made sure it matched the registered address for my prepaid Visa but the payment just wouldn't go through. Is there a trick to this or do I just have to buy a different card?

FYI I'm using unblock-us and so during the card setup and Hulu registration I would have appeared to be inside the US. I was able to access Hulu Plus during the free period so it would seem that everything was working properly.
post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1 View Post
I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and I purchased a Walmart prepaid Visa card. I set it up with a US address and then registered a Hulu Plus account with it. The first week of Hulu is free so there was no charge applied to the card when I registered.

Once the free week was over, Hulu tried to charge the card and failed. I tried several times, re-entered all my info and made sure it matched the registered address for my prepaid Visa but the payment just wouldn't go through. Is there a trick to this or do I just have to buy a different card?

FYI I'm using unblock-us and so during the card setup and Hulu registration I would have appeared to be inside the US. I was able to access Hulu Plus during the free period so it would seem that everything was working properly.
I had this problem as well - gift cards can not be setup for the recurring payments that Hulu requires it seems; at least mine could not. I solved this by purchasing a card online from buyfrompowerseller.com - this card was accepted by Hulu - I then used the gift card to purchase a gift subscription to myself. You can keep renewing via gift subscriptions as long as you don't let your account laps.
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 09:28 AM

My Hulu account is reactivated. I purchased a gift card from buyfrompowerseller.com but it wouldn't work as Hulu had put my account on hold because of the billing problem, so I tried the method suggested on unblock-us for signing up for a US Netflix account (ie. translating your postal code to a zip) using my Canadian Visa card. This worked for me. I then applied my gift cards to the account. In the unblock-us q&a section it appears that a lot of people are no longer able to use prepaid cards on Hulu, including the Citizen's Bank Visa that they recommend on the site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.