Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DAB Radio in Canada

89K views 363 replies 58 participants last post by  bentoronto 
#1 ·
On Friday it was not possible to get any DAB station in Toronto except the CBC stations. This continued through the weekend and the last time I checeked this morning. Over the past 5 years there have been temporary disruptions(I assume for maintenence) but nothing to this degree. Does anyone have any information about this, or want to speculate.

#2 ·
DAB back on this morning

bryston said:
On Friday it was not possible to get any DAB station in Toronto except the CBC stations. This continued through the weekend and the last time I checeked this morning. Over the past 5 years there have been temporary disruptions(I assume for maintenence) but nothing to this degree. Does anyone have any information about this, or want to speculate.
The room got to hot and the FM transmitters were having problems with it.
So, to prevent overheating, DAB was shut down.
Glad to see someone noticed.

#4 ·
bryston said:
Thanks Tom, I can enjoy my investment in DAB a little longer(hopefully a lot longer).
But, after realizing what’s going on (so very, very few people actually having DAB capability specially home units) don’t you feel real lonely? :D :D

Believe me I wish it wasn't the case.

#6 ·
bryston said:
Hey, I've had a whole broadcasting system to myself for 5 years...makes me feel rich(although I'm not).
I don't know if this is true, but there was a rumour that in communist Albania for many years the evening news on their TV channel started with "Good evening, Mr. President!". He was the only one in the country with a TV set.
That effectively makes you second in history, which is not that bad either ;)

If there were DAB broadcats in Calgary I probably would have made some investment too. Unfortunately, until recently I didn't even know there were broadcasts in Canada at all. We missed the beginning, at least let us know when it's over :)

#7 · (Edited)
DAB radio vs CBC - Sirius / CRS - XFM sat radio

Except for the mobile differences sat being North Americam wide in it's reception
vs DAB which needs each city to offer channels and diiferent tuners to recieve it .
My question is on the difference in "CD like quality " I know some people have reviwed the sat services and said it is close to CD qulity but does DAB city stations have better dynmaic range and sound quality then the sat services ?

Has anyone got links on relevant technical comparison information ?

I for one would be purchasing based on quality and not quantity of channels available ...

#8 ·
Those who say that CD radio has "CD like quality" are either selling XM or Sirius units, or as so clueless that can't tell AM from FM sound quality. Disregard those comments wherever you see them. The best channels on XM and Sirius are worse than proper FM analog station and sound like total crap compared to CD. DAB just can't be worse than sat.

#10 ·
DAB Levels

bryston said:
Thanks Tom, I can enjoy my investment in DAB a little longer(hopefully a lot longer). Would you happen to know why EZ ROCK 97.3's DAB signal is significantly different(low volume) than the other stations?
I think i've seen it mentioned here somewhere before, but unfortunately, each broadcasters sets thier own levels, audio comprssor etc. Most are still using analog into the DAB encoder.
Hard to find good help these days.....

#12 ·
Thanks for the reply Tom.F.1, feel free to share more "inside" information about DAB while it's still around. In response to rockhard's question on DAB vs. satellite, the only comparison I can make is DAB to Direct tv's music channels(I do not have XM or Sirius). In this situation it's no contest DAB is much better. DAB can sound awesome if the broadcaster makes an effort. Most music stations in Toronto transmit a 224kb/s signal, however a 192kb/s signal can great depending on the processing. The talk stations generally don't need a high bit rate. I've read in Germany they use 256kb/s which is supposed to sound phenomenal. In the summer of 2001 CBC tried a 256 signal here in T.O. but the Arcam reciever I use would'nt accept it do to a protection limit(whatever that is). When I notified the CBC of the problem they were kind enough to lower it to 224(ah, the benefits of being the only listener).

#16 ·
bryston said:
I do not know of any others. One reason I joined this forum was to get feedback from other DAB users but no luck yet.
If you have followed the DAB situation here over the last few years and accessed the official DAB website you would understand why you can't find other users. The whole thing was promoted on the basis of broken promises and I hate to say this but out and out untruths.

For someone like me who desperately wanted to invest in the technology it was an exercise in futility and frustration. Do a search here on the DAB subject and you will see what I mean.

#17 ·
I understand your frustration Khorn. I followed DAB here and in England from the late 90's to the present. One problem here was lack of co-ordination. You can't promote something like this before hardware is available. Also judging by the quality in the early days(and in some cases now), some broadcasters simply did'nt care. I must say though that when the web site was run by Hennesey and Bray they were helpful and responsive when I contacted them.

#18 ·
DAB still going

I've done some service on the DAB transmitters at CN Tower and I know some people who still service them, that's how i knew why they were off last weekend. Sorry, I'm not privy to any insider information. I have heard no plans about scaping it, but i have heard plans for adding more stations. There are licenses out there for some ethnic stations who would really like to be on, but i think expanding was on hold.
I'm a big fan of DAB, but i don't think i'll buy a reciever just now. :(

#21 ·
bryston said:
Thanks for the reply Tom.F.1, feel free to share more "inside" information about DAB while it's still around. In response to rockhard's question on DAB vs. satellite, the only comparison I can make is DAB to Direct tv's music channels(I do not have XM or Sirius). In this situation it's no contest DAB is much better. DAB can sound awesome if the broadcaster makes an effort. Most music stations in Toronto transmit a 224kb/s signal, however a 192kb/s signal can great depending on the processing. The talk stations generally don't need a high bit rate. I've read in Germany they use 256kb/s which is supposed to sound phenomenal. In the summer of 2001 CBC tried a 256 signal here in T.O. but the Arcam reciever I use would'nt accept it do to a protection limit(whatever that is). When I notified the CBC of the problem they were kind enough to lower it to 224(ah, the benefits of being the only listener).
I've read somewhere (I hate remembering info, but without the source) that the commercial Brit stations are cramming as many stations as they can into a limited bandwidth and the audio is noticeably degraded.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. There are DAB broadcasts in most major cities, AFAIK. The answer is probably on the CAB web site somewhere.

edit: Thought I'd check myself...was rather amused to see that Digital Radio Roll-Out Inc. "re-launched" a year ago, but not for marketing purposes. So I guess they meet once a month and talk about those great digital radio signals floating around in the air that absolutely nobody knows about!

Anyway, if you go to http://www.digitalradio.ca, it will forward you to a CAB page that lists DAB broadcasts. Completely unsorted, of course...that would take someone 5 minutes and they are all much too busy for something like that!

#25 ·
JohnnyG said:
edit: Thought I'd check myself...was rather amused to see that Digital Radio Roll-Out Inc. "re-launched" a year ago, but not for marketing purposes. So I guess they meet once a month and talk about those great digital radio signals floating around in the air that absolutely nobody knows about!
Yes, I agree it looks like one of the best kept secrets in Canada ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.