Videotron launching new mobile phone network - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Videotron launching new mobile phone network

Residents of Quebec will have a another mobile phone provider in the next 12 to 18 months after Videotron, a division of Quebecor, announced today that it will launch a mobile phone network in that province to compete with Bell, Rogers and Telus Mobility.

Well the announcement is official now. Videotron will service Quebec and Ottawa area. Despite buying spectrum in the Toronto area, no decisions have been made.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 07:00 PM

I wonder if existing Videotron wireless customers will be able to seamlessly transfer over to the new network? They are now a mobile virtual network operator using Rogers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 01:31 AM
Veteran

I think Videotron is going faster then ruling in the matter. The frequencies that the CRTC intend to allocate for such wireless phones will more likely be heavily debated as they are widely utilised in the corporate sector of audio-visual fields for the use of wireless microphones and much more. The new ruling on white spaces would be of great disturbance. In the states, shure has assembled a coalition to protect the frequencies used in the field. I can't find the CDN one at this point but I'll get the link from work and post sometime tomorrow.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061013-7979.html

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../10/13/1731225

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/PressR...ess_DCMeetings

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 07:05 AM
Veteran

What will matter to me the most are: how competitive will the rates be when compared with the rest of the world, and can I simply order a SIM card for my unlocked phone. I'm no longer interested in contracts or crippled phones.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Videotron was very competitive in landline telephony and I expect them to push the envelope in Mobile phones. I don't expect big discounts but they hinted that they would drop some of the annoying fees such as System access fees.

With a $554 million bill for the spectrum, (more than the cost of the network build), its unlikely you will get super cheap fees.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 04:28 PM

Question

In the announcement it said that the videotron mobile service would be offered in eastern Ontario (OTTAWA). Does that mean that Videotron won the licences for Ottawa, and that Globalive (YAK) did not?

Was really hoping for Globalive (YAK) to offer their new service in Ottawa.

Thanks for any info on this.

Allan

1 9865PVR, 1 4642HD, Epson 8700UB, 86" screen, Denon 3802 Receiver 7.1 Energy + dual firing rears. Harmony 880
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 11:20 AM

I'm sure there will be deals annouced with Yak to become a national providor.

Tags
bell mobility , mobile phone network , quebecor , rogers wireless , telus mobility , videotron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.