Shaw to buy Wind Mobile for $1.6 billion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

From the Globe and Mail:
Shaw buying Wind Mobile for $1.6-billion - The Globe and Mail
It's just a flash now ... looks like there will be more later.

And here's a story from Global News.
Shaw Communications buying upstart WIND Mobile in $1.6B deal | Globalnews.ca
(Shaw owns Global, by the way.)

Courtesy of forum member @Jetranger , here's a news release from Shaw:
Shaw - Shaw Communications Inc. to acquire WIND Mobile Corp. ? Shaw Newsroom

Last edited by downbeat; 2015-12-17 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Alright! I am a Wind customer and a Shaw customer. As I've watched the telecom 'miseries' over the last number of years it became clearer to me that Wind would need to be taken over by someone with deeper pockets if we were to truly have 4 wireless companies. At the same time, Telus was slowly eating Shaw's lunch in the TV offering because of their robust wireless business. To the point that rumours were starting to hit the street that Rogers might take Shaw out. Purchasing Wind is a strategic move that will allow Shaw to better compete with Telus and put to rest any chance of Rogers buying them.

I look forward to see what interesting bundles Shaw might come up with now.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 07:10 PM

Quote:
...put to rest any chance of Rogers buying them.
The Shaw family has voting control of the company, so they won't sell unless they want to, regardless of what the public shareholders want.

Shaw has really had a hard time making up their mind about wireless. First they cancelled the wireless rollout mid-stream in 2011. Then they finalized the sale of all their spectrum to Rogers earlier this year. Now they buy Wind???

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-12-16 at 08:59 PM.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 07:16 PM
Veteran

So, it looks like Shaw is back in the cell game. Didn't they buy some spectrum a few years ago?

Lessee now...
Wind is being bought by Shaw, Rogers gets Mobilicity and Telus bought Public Mobile a while ago. It sure looks like the government's plan to increase competition has worked!
ta-kid likes this.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 08:01 PM

Well, Shaw wasn't previously in the game, so to that extent, it has. It seems likely that Wind will remain an independent network.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 08:38 PM

How interesting . After seemingly getting out of wireless they are back in . They have a chance to invest and do something interesting such as combining with shaw go wifi and other goodies but we'll have to wait and see if anything actually gets done .
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 10:29 PM

How quickly we forget....
When Shaw got into the cable game here in Ontario and Atlantic years ago, they told everyone they had a 5 year plan.
Then after sitting on their hands for 5 years they packed up everything they could move back west, and and sold the systems off to Rogers.
I see the same old game in play.

ISF level2 Calibrator, HT Technical Planner, Owner Video Management Services
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 11:33 PM

Shaw is probably wishing they had kept the spectrum now, idiots. I guess they'll buy some in the next auction.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 12:46 AM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
The purchase buys back spectrum Shaw previously had and sold to Rogers(I think) and probably at a ridiculously lower price. This whole thing smells really fishy to me. I'm guessing there are tax loopholes that benefit all parties as it has so many hands in it.

See this article from earlier this year: Wind Mobile moves to a position of strength after Rogers-Mobilicity deal | MobileSyrup.com

and this one: http://whatsyourtech.ca/2015/07/06/r...ely-a-win-win/

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 12:48 AM

Shaw's spectrum sale was a three-way deal between them, Wind, and Rogers. Wind is actually in a better spot than before that deal happened. Rogers basically wanted more GTA spectrum, so that's what they got in the deal. Wind got more for the rest of the country from both Shaw and Rogers.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 08:09 AM

Like most current WIND customers, I am curious to see if Shaw will grandfather my "unlimited data/texting/cross-Canada/US" plan and what packages they come up with for current Shaw subscribers.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 09:13 AM

Many are saying that by Shaw buying Wind an eventual Rogers-Shaw hookup is off the table. I wonder if Shaw and Eastlink would ever consider merging. It would certainly give Shaw a more national presence. The Wind and Eastlink spectrum are adajacent or overlapping. Wonder if there will be any other moves once this Shaw-Wind combination is completed.

LOSat
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 09:28 AM

Chronology of Shaw's wireless investments

2008 - Shaw paid $190 million for wireless spectrum

2011 - Shaw announces it is abandoning their wireless rollout. They spent $180-million on wireless infrastructure, only about $50-million of which can be salvaged for WiFi hotspots. (I haven't checked how much was actually written off.) At the time they said: “For the next ten years we’re going to spend over a billion dollars building this network, but it’s never going to be over. You’re never finished building that network.”

January 15, 2013 - Rogers paid Shaw $50 million for the option to buy spectrum.

June 24, 2015 - Rogers paid $100-million to complete the option to purchase spectrum from Shaw.

This article has an interactive chart showing the spectrum transfers between Shaw, Rogers, Wind and Mobilicity.

Rogers-Mobilicity deal shakes up spectrum landscape, rewards Wind - The Globe and Mail

In their investor presentation PDF Shaw says they would have spent $2 billion on building out Alberta & B.C. (counting operational losses.)

The Wind rollout of LTE will continue ($250 million contract with Nokia.)
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 11:59 AM
Zod

Shaw's open wi-fi network is so good, I get a better signal from ShawOpen in my house than I do cell phone coverage... lol.

I really do hope this is Shaw genuinly wanting to enter the cell phone business. If this is them doing a rogers a favour and squatting on spectrum Roger's couldn't buy, then it's going to be bad.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 12:25 PM

I may be naive but i don't think Shaw is doing this deal for Rogers benefit . Seems like a pretty smart play to me .They got Rogers to pay them for spectrum then picked up a wireless carrier with more spectrum and a chance to be a real player in mobile .Whether they can deliver on that promise remains to be seen . Does anyone know if Wind management is creative enough to step up if shaw truly does back them with the resources ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.