Shaw to buy Wind Mobile for $1.6 billion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 01:51 PM

TC is right. Rogers is partnering with MTS in Manitoba and uses the MTS network.

I don't know if Shaw would have to set up an MVNO in Manitoba and Saskatchewan since they don't have a network there. I don't think the regular roaming rules would apply. Another question - would the Rogers/MTS contract allow Rogers to set up an MVNO for Shaw using the MTS network?

BTW the deal is scheduled to close in Shaw's fiscal Q3, which ends May 31, 2016.

Also, Shaw is selling their Global TV and specialty channels to Corus, which will allow them to pay for WIND - see this thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...haw-media.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 02:51 AM
tux

I have no idea. I thought that Shaw sold their Manitoba spectrum to Rogers, which means Rogers should have some Manitoba spectrum?

And anyway, while the HSPA+ coverage maps are identical for both Rogers & MTS, the Rogers LTE coverage map has a lot more dots than the corresponding MTS map, so maybe Rogers & MTS are only sharing HSPA+ towers.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 04:28 PM

@tux Shaw sold all their spectrum to Rogers, who then swapped the Manitoba spectrum (and more) to Wind. See post 13 of this thread for the before and after charts of all the AWS spectrum.

Here's a link that describes the 2009 MTS/Rogers HSPA agreement. It looks like it includes the whole network, not just the towers, but I'm sure there's a thick contract that covers every detail, including resale.

MTS will launch HSPA+ network March 31 to 97% of Manitobans

You're right that Rogers still has their old network in Manitoba. I wasn't thinking about that when I made my last post.

post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-02-20, 01:29 AM

It's a done deal. Everything has been approved and closing date is March 1.

Shaw Confirms Closing Date for WIND Acquisition
Quote:
Calgary, Alberta (February 19, 2016) - Shaw Communications Inc. confirms that completion of its previously announced acquisition of 100% of Mid-Bowline Group Corp. and its wholly-owned subsidiary, WIND Mobile Corp. ("WIND"), for an enterprise value of approximately $1.6 billion has been scheduled for March 1, 2016. Conditions to the transaction relating to the Competition Bureau and the Ministry of Innovation, Science & Economic Development (formerly Industry Canada) and approval by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice have been satisfied. As reported previously, Shaw has secured fully committed financing for the transaction. The parties are proceeding in the ordinary course to closing.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Now that Wind is officially part of Shaw will this forum be shut down since there really aren't any alternatives left?
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 03:56 PM

For now, it will remain here. If Wind rebrands, we may rethink that.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Perhaps I'm missing something, but they're still an alternative to Bell/Rogers/Telus. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they were renamed.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-06, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
I'm wondering of rebranding Wind would actually cause some backlash especially if the Shaw name is used.

Those who are not fully familiar with the Shaw / Wind transaction history but know enough of the big three (Bell/Rogers/Telus) and their past behavioral patterns might generate some bad press due to a lack of knowledge by lumping Shaw in the big three.

As to this forum, there still is the budding cell players who do not have their own network, and although litigation abounds, they're attempting to penetrate the marketplace, thus I think it's premature to axe this forum at this time.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-06, 10:43 AM

This forum still has some usefulness for minor players like Speakout, etc. that don't have their own forum, even if Wind is moved to a Shaw forum.

If you look at the investor PDF on page 1 of this thread, Shaw plans to heavily promote its wireless offerings in the West, with Shaw Go Wi-Fi, bundling, integrating wireless & TV like Bell does, etc. If they keep the WIND brand, they may downplay the Shaw connection in the East, since there aren't many synergies, unless they want to bundle with Shaw Direct Satellite TV.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-03-06 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Corrected Speakeasy = Speakout
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-06, 02:54 PM
Veteran

Speakeasy = Speakout? Just to clarify?
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-03-06, 03:04 PM

Dr. Dave is having prohibition flashbacks .
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-09-26, 09:05 PM

So here we are almost October 2016.Where's the new bundle plans??Anything changed?Wind looks to have same coverage and plans so far out west.Anything in the wind?LoL
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-09-26, 09:19 PM

Shaw had made comments along the lines of them wanting to wait until the network was improved before they put their name on it. I'd expect it'll be a while before you see bundles or anything.
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-09-27, 09:26 AM

LTE is coming to Wind beginning later this year, likely starting with Vancouver and Toronto, with a full network-wide roll-out next year. The LTE roll-out also brings new HSPA equipment which should help strengthen that network too. Unfortunately, until phones with band 66 support become wide-spread, the LTE network will be very limited.

I expect a Shaw Wireless rebrand along with integration of the Shaw WiFi network out west next year, but that's pure speculation.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-10-01, 07:35 PM
DHC Veteran

The LTE roll-out has already begun with Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary done. We're just waiting here in Southern Ontario for the start. There's been no word on when they will beginning the upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.