Shaw to buy Wind Mobile for $1.6 billion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
A reciprocal roaming agreement with the other major regional carriers (especially Videotron) would be interesting.
Actually, that's already available:

Canadian carriers using domestic roaming agreements to fill in coverage gaps

According to this, you can roam onto other carriers at no charge. Rogers says no more than 25% of use can be while roaming. On my phone, when I show available networks, I see Rogers, Rogers-EXT and Wind. So, I can roam onto, for example, Wind if I want to use my phone on the subway. This also makes things a lot better for customers on smaller carriers, such as Wind, Videotron, etc..

Quote:
What's this mean for us in Winnipeg? Wind doesn't offer service here
What? No Wind in the Windy city?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 01:13 PM

They apparently have 6 or 7 towers built up here in Winnipeg by one of the cell tower rental companies, but nothing hanging from them.

so they are sort of ready to provide service in a limited way to some parts of Winnipeg once the antenna and equipment huts get installed in the future.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
My understanding at present, being a Wind user, is that when roaming, it's either to Rogers or Telus.

Roaming, I feel is a stop gap measure. Native Wind zones or coverage is more likely to drive new customers.

Maybe, as Shaw rolls out LTE, they might consider re-purposing current equipment in new areas to at least get folks onto the system, and move established areas to LTE.

I would really like to see the eastern provinces, such as Nova Scotia get Wind coverage, and not just roaming coverage.

Just a thought...

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 04:56 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I agree native networks are best, but transparent roaming, which gives a carrier a larger coverage area, will also drive new customers. I want a phone to work where I go. I don't care how it does it, so long as I don't notice any difference. I have long thought that the cell network would have reached lower density areas earlier, had Rogers & Bell co-operated to share networks in those areas. The more area a phone is useful is, the more someone will want one. My first cell phone was an analog one made by Uniden. While it could connect to either Rogers or Bell (no locked phones back then) I would have needed an account on Bell to use it there, in addition to my account with Rogers (Cantel). In the wired world, carriers have often shared facilities for decades. Back in the mid 70s, I was a tech with CN Telecommunications, working throughout Northern Ontario. In some towns, CNT carried Bell in and in others, Bell carried CNT. There were also emergency reroutes over the other carrier. This practice continues today with fibre.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-20, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
They apparently have 6 or 7 towers built up here in Winnipeg by one of the cell tower rental companies, but nothing hanging from them.

so they are sort of ready to provide service in a limited way to some parts of Winnipeg once the antenna and equipment huts get installed in the future.
I don't think they will be providing service on those towers anytime soon, since they just sold their Manitoba and Saskatchewan spectrum.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 06:19 AM
Veteran

I just read the old news about that sale and it indicates it was allowed because Wind has acquired other spectrum through other transfers and doesn't need the AWS so the towers may be populated .
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 09:55 AM

WIND sold its spectrum in Manitoba & Saskatchewan

I've collected the links from the 2 Globe articles I posted previously plus the MTS/WIND joint press release to make things easier to follow.

Rogers-Mobilicity deal shakes up spectrum landscape, rewards Wind - The Globe and Mail

Ottawa approves Wind Mobile spectrum transfers in Manitoba, Saskatchewan - The Globe and Mail

MTS spectrum acquisition to significantly increase wireless speeds and improve the customer experience... -- WINNIPEG AND TORONTO, July 31, 2015

The first article has a handy before/after chart that shows all the spectrum transfers involving Rogers, Mobilicity, Shaw and WIND in June. The chart shows that WIND ended up with six licences in Saskatchewan and five licences in Manitoba, including the AWS-1 spectrum it had won at auction and the former Shaw AWS-1 spectrum that was transferred from Rogers.

The second article says that WIND sold six licences to SaskTel and five licences to MTS in July. Referring to the June transaction, it says:
Quote:
After last month’s transactions, Wind owned 30 megahertz of AWS spectrum (or 15 MHz of “paired” upstream and downstream spectrum) directly next to the 20 MHz owned by MTS while it owned 20 MHz (10 MHz “paired”) next to the 30 MHz SaskTel owns.
The MTS/WIND press release confirms the sale of "15 MHz of paired AWS-1 spectrum," which was all the spectrum that WIND owned in Manitoba. Also from the the press release:
Quote:
"This deal is exciting for WIND customers and for Canadians as we will be able to focus our resources on providing strong competition in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta," said WIND Mobile CEO Alek Krstajic.
AFAIK WIND only owns AWS spectrum. The spectrum transfers in the second article refer to the former Shaw spectrum.

Shaw/WIND would probably be eligible to bid for 600 MHz spectrum in the next auction if they wanted to provide service to MB & SK, but I'm not sure of the practicality of that frequency (handset compatibility, etc.)

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-12-23 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Changed: WIND only owns AWS spectrum
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
According to this, you can roam onto other carriers at no charge.
No, what that says is that Rogers has signed a (presumably reciprocal) roaming agreement with Bell, Telus, and Videotron. Their agreement with Wind is not reciprocal; it charges Wind wholesale rates and allows Wind customers onto Rogers' network but not vice versa (so you cannot use Wind's subway coverage as a Rogers customer).

Reciprocal roaming agreements have always been possible, but they have to make sense for both parties. I believe MTS/Rogers and Sasktel/Bell have long had reciprocal roaming agreements of some sort because there were benefits for both parties. What's the benefit to Rogers (or Bell or Telus) of a reciprocal roaming agreement with Wind?

That said, there is a potential benefit for both parties in agreements between Wind and Videotron, Eastlink, MTS, and Sasktel. They can offer roaming for their customers and charge each other rates well below the CRTC mandatory wholesale rates.

Wind was unable to do so as an independent company. For whatever reason, they didn't have the ability to come to terms they liked. However, Shaw could change the equation. In Quebec and the maritime provinces, Shaw would likely be better positioned to convince Videotron/Eastlink that they have no interest in expanding into their territory. MTS/Sasktel might be a little trickier, as they compete directly with them for wireline services, but if the terms are enticing enough, they may still be able to work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAB View Post
Maybe, as Shaw rolls out LTE, they might consider re-purposing current equipment in new areas to at least get folks onto the system, and move established areas to LTE.
The existing equipment is still needed to provide HSPA service. Wind cannot simply dismantle the HSPA network immediately as most of their customers will not have AWS-3 compatible LTE phones when that network launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAB View Post
I would really like to see the eastern provinces, such as Nova Scotia get Wind coverage, and not just roaming coverage.
I'm fairly confident that Eastlink launching service marked the death knell for any ambitions Wind had in the maritimes. If they expanded there, they would be actively competing with Bell, Rogers, Telus, and Eastlink for a small, low-density population. It would make far, far more sense for them to expand coverage around their existing coverage areas, like Victoria, BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
AFAIK WIND only owns AWS-1 spectrum. The spectrum transfers in the second article refer to the former Shaw spectrum.
They also own AWS-3, but I believe only in the Ontario, BC, and Alberta.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-12-22 at 04:30 PM. Reason: grammar
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 03:22 PM

I wonder if that means that SBA communications will be looking to sell the towers or lease space to other providers in Manitoba as it must be costing them something to have these towers without Wind as a customer if they don't have spectrum to use in Winnipeg.(There are 13 towers showing on the SBA map in total but some look to be in service with other providers with room for collocation)
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
They also own AWS-3, but I believe only in the Ontario, BC, and Alberta.
Thanks for correcting my dumb mistake. I went through my post just before I submitted it and changed all the AWS to AWS-1. Obviously that last line should have just said "AWS."

You're right that they were only eligible to bid in the AWS-3 auction in areas where they already had operations. I guess the feds wanted to discourage spectrum squatters.
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 12:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
If Shaw spends the money to upgrade the Wind network to be comparable to the higher priced competition, it would be reasonable to raise the price somewhat. Right now they've got a $35 package that provides more than the "big 3" carriers provide at $65. I imagine they could move up to ~$49 with LTE and more coverage and that would still be very attractive.
As a Wind customer, in Southern Ontario, I will follow their pricing closely. I assume most Wind customers that are not potential Shaw cable customers will do the same. If they raise prices too much to close the gap with the Big 3, they risk attrition. They can not offer the same options, where they do not have cable or wire laid.
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 09:20 AM

I see that the current plans have reduced the service credit (applied against extras) for BYOD from $10 to $5.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-15, 06:08 PM
tux

I was at Portage Place this week, and I asked the Shaw reps there that, given their recent purchase of Wind, whether they are planning to bring Shaw Mobility to Winnipeg. They informed me that they are, in fact, planning to launch mobile phone service in Winnipeg, and that it is expect to launch late this year (2016).

I know that everything that Shaw says should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm really interested to see what their product will look like, and how competitive it will be compared to the other carriers. I am guessing that Shaw Mobility will be using Rogers spectrum in the area, because I can't see them riding off the MTS or Telus networks.
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-15, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
As a Wind customer, in Southern Ontario, I will follow their pricing closely. I assume most Wind customers that are not potential Shaw cable customers will do the same. If they raise prices too much to close the gap with the Big 3, they risk attrition. They can not offer the same options, where they do not have cable or wire laid.
They do have Shaw Direct available as an option for bundling in most of Canada as well, though I have no idea if they'll use it.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 12:47 PM

The sale doesn't even close until later this year, and Shaw/Wind doesn't own spectrum in Manitoba. Later this year seems extremely aggressive.

Does Rogers still have a network in Manitoba? I thought they were partnering with MTS to avoid building it themselves.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.