Shaw to buy Wind Mobile for $1.6 billion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 02:05 PM
Veteran

This transaction is being well received by Bay Street analysts and the market(so far).

Shaw?s Wind Mobile purchase scores with Bay Street analysts - The Globe and Mail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

@LONSat : I was imaging something along the same lines as you … except I was thinking of some kind of strategic partnership between Shaw and Videotron. Now, if we throw EastLink into that mix, too … (Wild speculation, of course!)
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 05:41 PM

Shaw acquiring Wind Mobile

I would have posted this in the Shaw Communications main page, but because there is no way to start a thread there and there is as yet no sub-forum for Shaw mobile telephone service, I thought I'd post here.

As most here will almost certainly know, Shaw is about to buy Wind Mobile. Coincidentally, after doing a fair bit of research, my wife and I became Wind Mobile subscribers only two months ago. We have what I think is a very nicely-priced phone/data plan, and we'd like that price/plan to continue as-is or, hopefully, drop in price. My question is simple. What is the likelihood that, after the takeover, Shaw will raise the cost of our plan, if our plan even still continues to exist?

Thanks.

Last edited by 57; 2015-12-17 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 05:51 PM

After Alexander Pope

hope springs eternal in the mobile space

data never rests but always seeks a place

the network playful not confined to home

juggles and expatiates wherever we roam
ebusinesstutor likes this.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 06:16 PM

Hard to say what will happen but i believe the ceo of Shaw said something to the effect that they plan to continue Wind as a value play so you're most likely fine for a while .After the LTE network gets into place you might see some rising in cost . Are you a shaw cable subscriber ? I would imagine there might be some good combined deals coming there down the pike (better to be coming down than hoisted on it )As for a drop in price i would refer you to the ultimate arbiter on that point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 06:52 PM

Thanks for moving my post to this more appropriate thread and providing the "Impossible Dream" link. I did not realize that Peter could sing so well.

My wife and I are already Shaw "triple play" subscribers. (You can read about our most recent, rather frustrating "experience" with Shaw here:
Copyright notice / false accusation )

Hopefully there will be a an attractive package price that gives us what we've got now from two providers for the same or less cost. Time will tell, but I have a rather uneasy feeling about the result of the take-over.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 07:32 PM
Zod

I would imagine the prices increase if Shaw decides to expand the infrastructure. Part of the issue with Wind was it's revenue was so low it made it really hard to expand the network. It means there are many places without coverage, and some places that do have average coverage at best.

If Shaw's decides to use the Wind network as a starting point, but invest a bunch of $$'s to make the network competitive with the other two national networks (Telus/Bell and Rogers) then that would probably translate into more expensive bills.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 09:19 PM

Interesting timing .Wind just recently obtained $425 miliion in financing for the lte network and then less than a week later Shaw buys Wind. You are right that shaw will also have to invest in infrastructure beyond the speed of the network itself but i wonder if they will concentrate mainly on where their cable/internet networks are located ?
Wind Mobile Corp secures up to $425 million in financing to build LTE network | Financial Post
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 10:12 PM

I would imagine that we'll see rates stay flat until the LTE rollout. Then they'll likely charge a premium for LTE access.

A reciprocal roaming agreement with the other major regional carriers (especially Videotron) would be interesting. There's a lot of potential for deals with Videotron here, as they're currently squatting on some 700 spectrum where Wind operates that is extremely attractive for an LTE rollout, and I'd imagine that Shaw entrenching itself as a real player would kibosh any thoughts of Videotron's of expansion to Ontario/Alberta/BC.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 01:26 AM
tux

What's this mean for us in Winnipeg? Wind doesn't offer service here, will Shaw?
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 10:06 AM
Veteran

Question

Is this deal good for the consumer? Maybe yes? Maybe No?

If your in a Shaw area and wind is available then perhaps it might? be a good deal depending on what type of 'Bundle" offers you.

The thing is yet here's another example of a corporate giant taken over a smaller competitor, hence less competition?

Competition is only good if in this case Wireless is available across the country and not just in certain locations.Wind is only available in certain provinces.

I hope the CRTC dis-allows this.The CRTC was the one that wanted more competition, but some tells me their going to approve this, hence its just words and a show the CRTC is putting on.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 11:19 AM
Veteran

On another note, Rogers, Bell and Telus Stock dropped like a stone on the announcement.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 12:14 PM

^^ Shaw's stock dropped like a giant boulder
Quote:
What's this mean for us in Winnipeg? Wind doesn't offer service here, will Shaw?
In July 2015, Wind sold the spectrum it got in the giant Shaw/Rogers/Wind/Mobilicity swap to MTS and Sasktel to get enough money to move ahead with their LTE rollout.

Source: Ottawa approves Wind Mobile spectrum transfers in Manitoba, Saskatchewan - The Globe and Mail

I think Shaw will focus on expanding in mid-sized cities in B.C. and Alberta. According to the Wind CEO, who will run Shaw's wireless division, they could provide wireless service in cities like Victoria where Shaw does business, which wouldn't make sense as a standalone company, but would make sense as part of a bundled offering.

Wind's CEO also talked about partnering with Sasktel, MTS, Videotron and Eastlink to provide a "national" competitor to the big three.

Quote:
The thing is yet here's another example of a corporate giant taken over a smaller competitor, hence less competition?
Since Shaw isn't a wireless carrier, there will be the same amount of competition. The difference is that Wind will be a stronger competitor as part of Shaw than it would be as a standalone company. As a standalone company, Wind would always struggle financially. When the deal closes in Q3 2016, Shaw will be able to refinance Wind's high-interest debt at standard corporate rates based on Shaw's much better credit rating.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 02:29 PM

Well it didn't take too long for Shaw to back off on keeping Wind as a value play .Probably as has already been noted until the LTE network is in place .http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...ireless-telus/ Too bad , Shaw has a chance to do something different here but old habits die hard and Shaw is no John McClane or even a Craig McCaw.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 05:56 PM
Veteran

If Shaw spends the money to upgrade the Wind network to be comparable to the higher priced competition, it would be reasonable to raise the price somewhat. Right now they've got a $35 package that provides more than the "big 3" carriers provide at $65. I imagine they could move up to ~$49 with LTE and more coverage and that would still be very attractive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.