WIND US Connecting - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-10-08, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

WIND US Connecting

Does anyone know what the data speeds are available while roaming in the USA thru T-Mobile or AT&T (I have the $50 plan). I recently tried to use my iPhone in Niagara Falls NY. The phone indicated I was on T-Mobile's network but regardless where I went I couldn't connect (no bars anywhere). Tech support suggested I disable 3G. Only 2 other options LTE or 2G. Any thoughts on how to connect in the USA?

GEB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-10-08, 10:49 AM

I always use HSPA+ (3G) through T-Mobile. It's possible that LTE would work, but I've never tried. HSPA+ is fast enough on mobile for me.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-10-08, 11:10 AM

Sometimes I require a phone reboot to activate on the USA networks after crossing the border.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-12, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Question UPDATE to Calling from USA

I've talked to WIND tech support. They ran thru a number of checks and eventually suggested that I swap out the SIM card. I still cannot get voice thru T-Mobile. However when I was in Iowa in late October I could use voice on the AT&T network. Today I was in Niagara Falls NY and had T-Mobile 3G data but again no voice. I'm beginning to believe that there is an issue with the phone itself, an iPhone 5S. Interestingly when back in Canada the phone connected to WIND 3G data but no voice until I rebooted the phone. Any thoughts?

GEB
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Angry Further update re calling from USA

Well I finally was told the reason I couldn't make calls over the T-Mobile network. WIND sold me an iPhone 5S that was blacklisted by T-Mobile and its affiliate Metro PCS because the phone was reported as lost or stolen.

WIND is balking at giving me a new phone. Instead WIND plans to talk to T-Mobile to see if it will remove the phone from the blacklist. T-Mobile told me that without a T-Mobile account number or phone number there was nothing they could do. Perhaps WIND will have better luck given its relationship with T-Mobile. I doubt it.

In the meantime I am in possession of property considered lost or stolen! Not a happy situation.

GEB
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
I wonder if that designation actually came from Apple over the kerfuffle of Wind selling used iPhones.

It appears Apple has a problem with the sale of used products.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I think it's only T-Mobile as I was able to call over the AT&T network.

GEB
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-16, 12:41 PM

Roaming with Wind in the USA

Having spent two weeks down in Florida:
* connected with T-Mobile - 3G only (bars 100%) - at Fort Myers airport on landing
* activated hot spot on phone for daily tablet use
* preferred tethering for reliable tablet connection

Findings:
1. No issues with voice or data
2. Webmail (Sympatico) was OK for reading, but dreadful for sending/replying
3. Classic's "Hub" mail client worked well
4. Certain Playbook apps (weather, mail) refused to recognize the tethering connection
5. Various warnings re data usage from the Classic while tethering and hot spotting
6. Warnings from T-Mobile (I think) re hot spotting

Am on Wind's $40 plan, with $15 US data/voice roaming add-on activated for the month.
Cellphone is factory-unlocked Blackberry Classic, with Playbook tablet.

I'll wait to see if there are any surcharges from T-Mobile, but found the $15 add-on met my needs well. No complaints.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 11:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebber View Post
Does anyone know what the data speeds are available while roaming in the USA thru T-Mobile or AT&T (I have the $50 plan). I recently tried to use my iPhone in Niagara Falls NY. The phone indicated I was on T-Mobile's network but regardless where I went I couldn't connect (no bars anywhere). Tech support suggested I disable 3G. Only 2 other options LTE or 2G. Any thoughts on how to connect in the USA?
I use my Blackberry on Wind for weeks at a time while in Florida. T mobile coverage is not the best in the USA but when in well populated areas I usually connect at 3G...The number of bars will vary widely from zero to four. I think that is a problem with T mobile rather than Wind. I can tell you that sometimes the connection flips over to AT&T when T Mobile isn't available.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-11-22, 12:34 AM

Quote:
'll wait to see if there are any surcharges from T-Mobile, but found the $15 add-on met my needs well. No complaints.
No surcharges on billing. Data usage was 1Gb in the two weeks. Very happy with service/cost.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-12-05, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Here's something Wind customers might be interested in:

Some telecom firms ignore wireless rules

Quote:
'No limits: The CCTS received 80 complaints from customers last year about an “unlimited” U.S. roaming plan that proved to be less generous than expected.

Many customers who went regularly to the U.S. found their wireless service suspended suddenly without notice because of excessive usage. Some were even charged fees for going over the limits.

The provider, Wind Mobile, said its fair use policy allowed such actions. But the policy was vague and did not give a clear explanation to customers.

“The provider’s offering of unlimited service did in fact have limits, but they weren’t disclosed. What’s more, the limits fluctuated based on how much usage the network experienced at a given time. It was therefore impossible for customers to know the limit, plan for it and avoid overage charges,” the report said.

The CCTS reached out to the company and got nowhere at first. It took 35 investigations to agree on a resolution: The provider would disclose limits more clearly to customers at the point of sale and at its website, as well as in its fair use policy.'

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 01:11 AM

It's better than nothing but after 1Gig data TMobile starts to throttle your data speeds. I was down there for a month after less than two weeks data for browsing was a waste of time. I had to start up my Verizon hotspot and pay $80 for 10 Gig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.