Wind Coverage in London Ontario? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-05-30, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Wind Coverage in London Ontario?

Thinking about moving my son's plan from Rogers to Wind Unlimited (only 1 day left!). He is a university student at Western, in London Ontario, and we live in Oakville. I would be grateful for comments on Wind coverage quality in London. I know many people on Wind in Oakville, and they say its fine. Many thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-05-30, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Apparently this forum needs to sign up more members from London! Anyone?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-05-30, 11:24 PM

Google Wind coverage in London.

Not much discussion on this forum about any wireless provider. Try dslreports. You can ask there. There is a section where they have a lot of reviews.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-05-31, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I've already done that and found some older comments but nothing too recent. Anyway, I pulled the trigger today for my son and my wife. First time we haven't been on Rogers. Hope we don't regret the move.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-01, 04:16 PM
Veteran

London coverage should be fine. I don't have Wind but they have lots of towers in the city. Issues may arise when leaving London or any other city Wind serves. They have third party agreements but no towers outside the cities. Don't know how that's handled but Wind states that coverage may be uncertain outside their main coverage areas.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-01, 04:53 PM

Outside of Wind's coverage, you roam on Rogers and pay per use at the rates on the website.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-01, 06:48 PM

johnnyboy
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I've already done that and found some older comments but nothing too recent. Anyway, I pulled the trigger today for my son and my wife. First time we haven't been on Rogers. Hope we don't regret the move.
Please let us know how Wind is in London. Hope it is good.Just wished I had them in my area but Videotron bought all the spectrum.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-01, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Found the "away" (roaming???) rates in the fine print. These charges will apply outside of Wind's coverage areas.
Quote:
You are charged low flat pay per use rates while in AWAY coverage. Our current rates are $0.20/min, $0.15/text and $1/MB. Your rates are good across Canada and the US
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Rogue, happy to post about service in London, but not until September, as my son is back in Oakville for the summer. Switched my son and my wife (paid a Rogers break fee for my wife, and still very worth it!), on Friday and so far no hint of difference in their service. They both use Nexus 4's so no missing LTE. Can't wait for my first bill!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 04:10 PM

I didn't understand your post if you put them on Wind or not.

The reason I ask is because it's good to get reviews from different people from different areas. I read where people bash Wind and other love it. I beleive if one lives and works in a zone and if the reception is OK then the savings could be enormous!! As for LTE, I'm on Koodo and chose a pgone without it. My reasining was for what I use like emails and browsing oir watching a Youtube video HSPA+ is good for that. Also LTE drains the battery faster.

I don't have Wind here because Videotron bought all the spectrum. I wouldn't mind paying Wind prices even if there was a deadzone here and there. Heck I got dead zones with Videotron and it's more expensive than Wind.

So I'm hoping that Wind does well and that Videotron does not expand because they are like the Big 3.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes I did switch my son to Wind, but he is living in Oakville right now until September, when he will move back to London for the school year. When he is back in London and has experienced Wind service there, I will post a review for London.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-02, 10:25 PM

Ok I understand now. You switched both to Wind and so far on your wife's phone in Oakville reception has been good.

Concerning your son, you will know in September how the reception is in London.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-05, 03:05 PM

My daughter (also a Western student) has a Windmobile plan. She hasn't had any issues with coverage within city limits. However, large swaths of 401 between London and Toronto don't have coverage. She did say that reception inside buildings is much poorer than VirginMobile (which she had before). I'm guessing it is because of the frequency band. Inside some classrooms, sometimes there is no signal at all. However, that might be a good thing
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-06, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the observations academic. We'll see how it goes in September. I'm not a fan of them being on the phone in class either!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2014-06-08, 04:34 PM

I was seriously considering turning in my Bell cell phone and going with Wind. However I reside outside of London and coverage is poor outside of London city limits. If your son only uses his phone inside the city, he will be fine. Otherwise stick with the big dogs if coverage is a concern.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.