Wind unlimited Canada/USA plan $39/month - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Wind unlimited Canada/USA plan $39/month

Wind Mobile is now offering (until May 31) an unlimited talk, text, and data plan for Canada AND the USA for $39/month.

As a snowbird staying 4-6 months at a time in the USA, this is what I have been waiting for. No more having to have two phones; one for each country.

I am going to Wind today to pick out a phone and sign up for this plan. I have 15 days to try it out and return it if I don't like the service.

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to use Wind Mobile down in the USA and does it work ok?

Sony 4K 65" TV- Shaw PVR 6412
Sony STRDH540 Receiver - Magnavox NB500MG9 Blu-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-06-16, 08:18 AM

Did you get the plan? How was/is it?

I'm thinking about switching over to Wind and that plan.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-06-16, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I did get that plan and I bought the Samsung Note 3.

Everything is working great. Everywhere I have gone so far I have been withing the WIND network and everything works fine. Voice calls are good and connecting to data when needed is at 4G speed and works fine.

I am anxious to see how it works when I get down into the USA.

I see on the website they are still offering the $39 a month plan that I got; it says it ends soon. If you want it you better grab it, it is a great deal especially if you travel to the USA a lot.

The only thing to consider is being outside of the WIND network. Check the coverage for your area. Once you are outside of the WIND zone in Canada you will pay for calls and data.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 06:13 PM

Made a trip to NJ. Had my Nexus 5 all ready set up as roaming ON for data and voice. Landed at Newark Airport. Automatically got connected to T-Mobile. No problem at all.

My phone is capable of LTE. But I don't have a LTE chip because Wind only has 3G. So I never experienced 4G.

Did not have any problem with roaming. I recommend it. BTW....everything is Unlimited.
Seriously how do you beat that?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear spacyfoil! Thanks for the post. I get 4G with my Note 3 so I hope I can achieve 4G down in the states.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-16, 10:56 PM

Lack of roaming in Canada is why I had to leave Wind, there were other reasons, but this was the main one

Their US option is great, but the drive from the Canadian city, to the US boarder, is what kills the plan.

Cheaper to pay the US roaming on a national carrier here, than pay the Canadian roaming on Wind, for me anyways.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 01:25 PM

Winds is lowering their Canadian Talk, Text and Data roaming rates this coming week. Apparently they have a new roaming agreement with RoBelUs.

Since this site gets all excited if one posts a link to a competitive forum, a simple search using a famous search engine, will reveal further details.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 02:34 PM
Rookie

I wish WIND would come to St. John's. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 06:21 PM

Will never happen Thor.

Regional Providers with deeper pockets will always outbid Wind for spectrum.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 09:08 PM

Wind was able to purchase spectrum in the 2008 AWS auction for all regions of Canada except Quebec.

'New Wireless Entrants' FAQ

Perhaps Wind will find it practical to deploy more of that spectrum if they can get a better Canadian roaming agreement and tower-sharing arrangements.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2014-08-18, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the info Dr. Dave. I knew about Quebec.

I thought there were other regions(Provinces) where Wind didn't win spectrum.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 02:53 PM
Rookie

wind mobile

Hi Hugh, how has your wind $39 plan work. We are thinking the same as you about Phx area and wondering how you have made out.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 11:02 PM

My wife has this plan as she is in the USA, quite often her phone and data works better down south than it does here in Canada. Although the data, internet gives you a Canadian IP address even when connected to T-Mobile's network. IP Address is based in Ontario even when you're in Oregon. The internet on her phone is used quite a bit and she's never had any extra charges from Wind.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-04-01, 01:12 PM
Veteran

On the topic of these "unlimited" plans, I see a recent advertisement from Wind: Apparently I can "Use Apps from Fort Mac to Medicine Hat". This implies that they can cover your data usage between those two points, but when I look at their coverage map, they only cover major cities.

My question: are there any Wind plans which would provide data at a rate much better than $0.05 a megabyte when you're not in a Wind "home zone"? I see this is possible in the USA with a $15 add on (Unlimited US Roaming Add-on).

What about Canada?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-04-01, 02:03 PM

Nothing as yet for unlimited roaming in Canada.

However the roaming rates they do charge are among the lowest in Canada...$0.15 for voice ( including the long distance cost if appropriate), $0.05 per outgoing text (incoming is free) and $0.05 per mb of data.

What I really like is the ability to roam on either Telus or Rogers ( ATT & T-Mobile in the US)...between them, I now have excellent coverage here in BC and the US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.