Wind unlimited Canada/USA plan $39/month - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Ive had Wind now for the 1 and 1/2 and its been great... sometimes it drops when way out side their area but other then that its been great... the only thing I would say is a downer is having to deal with their office... thank god most of the kiosk people here in the malls can handle most things cause dealing with their head office makes bell actually look good... lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmarshall View Post
...the only thing I would say is a downer is having to deal with their office...
One could try contacting them via Social Media ( ie: Facebook) or if you want to speak directly, I would suggest selecting 'French' on the telephone prompt. Then asking politely if the rep speaks English.

It appears their French lines as answered in Canada whereas the English lines are most definitely answered off-shore.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-01-09, 11:09 PM

My experience is that the fine print of fair use policy causes you to begin data speed throttling after 1 GB in the month..... after a couple of weeks my phone was useless for any browsing.
I therefore started up my Verizon hotspot............. so I agree with a prior poster that the best thing to if visiting US for several months is to use a pay as you go plan with a US carrier.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-01-09, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

I dunno, I spend all winter in AZ and I have never had an issue. Maybe cause most of the time I am on wifi but I have never had problems with data in the 2 years I've had this plan and spending 4-5 months state side.

Sony 4K 65" TV- Shaw PVR 6412
Sony STRDH540 Receiver - Magnavox NB500MG9 Blu-Ray

Last edited by 57; 2016-01-10 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-01-19, 03:19 PM

Looks like their special continues to the end of Jan. https://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-...tphone-plan-39

Can anyone comment on extra roaming charges within Ontario? We are often 3-4 hours north of Toronto in the summer, and do not want to get hit with extra charges.

300sflyer
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-01-20, 12:44 AM

You should be fine providing your usage is within their 'fair use' terms of service.
I've been very happy with them, but I'm not a heavy user.
Check out their page on Network Coverage.
There is no contract term/obligation other than indirectly if you buy their phone

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-02, 09:47 PM

Well.....After 4 years of promises of increased coverage, higher data speeds and reliability, I have finally bailed on Wind. The roaming fees, even here in Vancouver, were killing me.

The new Public Mobile offering ( running on the Telus - Bell network) was too good to turn down. Unlimited province wide calling, unlimited global texting and 4 Gb a month of LTE data on a much stronger network was the ultimate enticement

Cost? $38 / month with auto prepay via a credit card. (pay every 3 months).

Time will tell....but so far so good.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 10:34 AM

So Wind has updated their US roaming package and the unlimited "with fair use" data has gone:
Quote:
Get 1 GB full-speed data, unlimited text and 2400 minutes of CA/U.S. talk while roaming in the continental U.S., Alaska and Hawaii for only $15/month.
. A CSR told me that additional data is $6/MB.
Their World Traveler ($8/month) rate for USA is better for data at $0.03/MB if you're going to be using a lot of data.
User beware!

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan View Post
Well.....After 4 years of promises of increased coverage, higher data speeds and reliability, I have finally bailed on Wind. The roaming fees, even here in Vancouver, were killing me.

The new Public Mobile offering ( running on the Telus - Bell network) was too good to turn down. Unlimited province wide calling, unlimited global texting and 4 Gb a month of LTE data on a much stronger network was the ultimate enticement

Cost? $38 / month with auto prepay via a credit card. (pay every 3 months).

Time will tell....but so far so good.
The deal you got from Telus... Did you negotiate that, or is it something being offered to everyone? If so, do you have a link?

Thanks!

300sflyer
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-03, 02:22 PM

It is available to anyone, no need to negotiate. I simply went to the publicmobile.ca website, selected my province at the top menu and proceeded from there.

The current promotion is only for the 90 day - Province wide calling - global text - 12 gB selection. Clicking these options generates a large discount resulting in a $120 amount that is payable every 3 months. Register to pay with your credit or debit card and you get an additional $6 discount ( $2 per month )

Invite others to join and that can generate another $1 per referral per month. ( or if you have multiple phones.....start with one and self refer to get the discount..)

Check the site out.....their "community" section has lots of information.

Can take a few days to get your SIM via expresspost, and since this promotion ends on Nov. 20th.....it is best to not delay.

Last edited by magnet; 2016-11-03 at 03:53 PM. Reason: no referrals allowed
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-04, 12:37 PM

Found this on the website. Not good if you make or receive calls outside your own province.

"Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province."

300sflyer
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-04, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sflyer View Post
" A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province."
This is true however the long distance add-on for 200 minutes is only $8 (or 400 min for $15).

These minutes never expire so unless you make a lot of calls while outside your home province, the savings (versus other provider's plans) should more than offset for the odd time one is in this situation.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-10, 02:29 PM

We've switched 2 phones over to Public Mobile 12GB/90 day plans, one from Telus and one from Koodo. The service is great and the savings are, too. Downside is no live customer service, but we haven't had problems. Well worth the $40-$2(for autorenew)-$1(for referral on the second phone)= $37/month and $38/month.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-10, 04:07 PM

Thanks ski-fan for the heads up on this deal with Public Mobile. I got my SIM card yesterday in the mail and will be porting over from WIND after the long weekend.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-11-15, 07:17 PM

US roaming is now available with Public Mobile. Note that they activate the moment you buy them and expire 10 days later.

U.S. Roaming 10 Day Add-Ons
Details
Price
U.S. Talk Only
· Unlimited Canada Wide & U.S. talk
$8
U.S. Text Only*
· Unlimited global text
$8
U.S. Data Only

· 250 MB data
$10
· 500MB data
$15
· 1GB data
$20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle*

· Unlimited global text
· No data

$15
U.S. Talk ,Text, Data Bundle*
· Unlimited global text
· 250MB data
$20
*Picture and video messaging are not available, but coming soon! Please note that you need a U.S. roaming data plan in order to receive picture and video messaging.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.