Wind Mobile falsely advertising cell service areas? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Wind Mobile falsely advertising cell service areas?

Wind Mobile is deceiving new and existing customers by falsely advertising areas of cellular service, and provide poor quality customer service. We have gone back and forth with Wind Mobile about cellular coverage not working for our phone at our house as well as my father's work place in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (both of these areas show full coverage on Wind Mobile coverage Maps).

We have followed all instructions from resetting the phone, calling customer service, and contacting CCTS. It's been over a month and we have not had a reasonable resolution in this matter. We have been getting a run around and feel Wind Mobile is following unethical and unfair business practices.

Wind Mobile is not returning our hardware nor allowing us to exchange it for a phone that may work. They should update their service coverage maps to reflect the actual service coverage, and also refund all their existing customers costs of their hardware and subscriptions who are also victims of false advertising. They should also re-visit their customer service policies, processes, and get new agents that can communicate in English more than just two or three sentences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Cell coverage is never perfect. I'm on Rogers and live a couple of blocks from one of their sites, yet I have a poor signal at one end of my condo. I doubt you'll find any company that guarantees complete coverage in their areas.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 01:07 PM

The nature of cellular networks is that they can't guarantee good signals, even within their coverage maps. They also can't possibly actually know what coverage will be like inside every building without going in them all themselves. I'm sure it says as much right in the terms and conditions you agreed to, just like every other wireless carrier.

Did you use the phone past the warranty coverage? If you don't have signal, a new phone isn't going to help. You'll have to either live with it, or pay for the phone and port to another carrier.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The phone is only 2 months old, it's not just bad reception but calls are being dropped, or calls cannot be made even when the phone shows some reception via few bars. We have other cellphones from Rogers and they work perfectly fine in the same spots.

The same thing is happening in other locations within the city of Mississauga in urban areas so no this is not a matter of the occasional poor signal in one place like other cellphones do. The customer service at Wind is beyond horrible, I have spoken to dozens of representatives and they cannot understand more than few sentences so they are of no help either. As a last resort I did send the phone in for repair so let's see when it comes back.

So far in my opinion Wind Mobile is a waste of money and from my experience will recommend anyone not to get it.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
^^^ I have an interesting question....

When I got my Samsung Galaxy S3 at Wind, it was mentioned that when I roam away from a Wind zone, Rogers is one of the "Wind Away" carriers that it will roam to.

Now, you say Rogers is fine from your location.

Did (prior to your sending in your phone for service) your phone just drop Wind or did it drop and roam to a "Wind Away" carrier?

It almost appears (my guess) is the phone could have been both defective as well as improperly set up...

My experience oddly has been the reverse... Which I wasn't expecting... That coverage on Wind in our area has been more solid than Rogers... And we can see the building from our place that has Rogers towers on it... Go figure...

It must be kept in mind that Rogers, Bell etc have had a gigantic head start in time getting established, whereas the newer entrants have to find places for towers / sites for their infrastructure. No small feat.

Haven't run into any major technical issues, but any questions I've had have been dealt with without any communication problems to date.

Well, Bell internet... That's another story well documented here, and that's another thread... :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Last edited by CamDAB; 2013-03-04 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fixed grammer...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The same thing is happening in other locations within the city of Mississauga
Wind definitely does not have the coverage that Bell or Rogers has but your experience would suggest that your phone is set up incorrectly or you have a defective phone. (and yes, Windmobile has terrible customer service!)

Having said all that I use my phone in a lot of different places in Mississauga and seldom have reception issues.

My advice: Take the phone to the store you purchased it from and have them take a look at your setup.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have ruled out the possibility the phone is incorrectly setup as we have gone to the Wind Store at Erin Mills numerous times where they checked settings, done a reset, and some other things while at the store.

Our phone does not work even at places where Rogers works so not having enough towers or not is irrelevant for the discussion of this issue. Even if one says in defense that Wind Mobile did not have a head start compared to Bell or Rogers that still does not change the fact there is no reception in places where Wind Mobile advertised there will be coverage.

I am not saying the cellphone does not work at all, it works in several locations like if I am out at a Tim Hortons or on my driveway but the phone works poorly or does not work at all if I am inside the main floor area of our Erin Mills home (not even the basement). Also if it does work in our house calls are getting dropped.

Let's see once the phone comes back but I do know one thing for sure that is you get what you pay for with Wind Mobile. It's not a phone I would recommend people who might have an emergency like older folks, or people that travel outside the main part of major cities and combining it with the fact their customer service is 1/10 it makes Wind Mobile a ripoff. Unfortunately I am stuck with Wind because of the phone but anyone who hasn't gotten Wind I would strongly encourage them to go with another service provider to avoid hassles, service/hardware issues, and to deal with poor quality customer service. I have come across many people who feel the same way and wish I had done the research up front.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 07:04 PM
Veteran

I had the same issues with Bell, in and around my house the reception was terrible to non-existent but if you walked round the corner it was fine. Cell phone coverage maps are no guarantee of cell coverage regardless of carrier.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan View Post
Our phone does not work even at places where Rogers works so not having enough towers or not is irrelevant for the discussion of this issue. Even if one says in defense that Wind Mobile did not have a head start compared to Bell or Rogers that still does not change the fact there is no reception in places where Wind Mobile advertised there will be coverage.
That is simply the nature of wireless networks. They can't guarantee you'll have good signal in your house. Rogers, Bell, and Telus have the advantage of years of infrastructure buildup and the use of lower frequency spectrums which have better building penetration, but even they have some network holes within advertised coverage areas.

We're mostly spoiled in Canada, especially in urban areas, because Rogers, Bell, and Telus have pretty outstanding wireless networks in terms of both coverage and speed, compared to the rest of the world. It's not always that way.

Quote:
I do know one thing for sure that is you get what you pay for with Wind Mobile.
Yup, there is a reason why it is cheaper. Same goes for Mobilicity and Public Mobile, there are tradeoffs.

Quote:
It's not a phone I would recommend people who might have an emergency like older folks, or people that travel outside the main part of major cities
If you dial 911 when you have no signal the phone will connect to any available wireless network (including Rogers). When you leave Wind's urban coverage you roam on Rogers.

Quote:
I have come across many people who feel the same way and wish I had done the research up front.
Always do the research on wireless carriers. They are not all the same. Always test the network in your home and places you visit regularly to make sure you will have coverage where you need it, before the return period expires.

Unfortunately, I would be stunned if repairing the phone made a difference. You happen to be in a weak zone for coverage. It's bad luck, but it happens to all wireless carriers.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Do you guys work for Wind Mobile or something because clearly you are turning my service/hardware issue with Wind Mobile into a regular issue that happens with every cell provider but that clearly is not the case here.

I have had many cellphones from all major cell providers over the past 15 years from Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Fido and I am well aware of spotty situations vs Wind Mobile's service/coverage.

Having said that Wind Mobile coverage/reception is worse than normal cellular service providers and that is a fact (not something that is common with major service providers). As for their customer service its not bad, it's more like poor.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 09:06 PM

I don't work for Wind, and as far as I know nobody else here does either.

As I said, in cities in Canada the networks from Bell, Rogers, and Telus are all outstanding. That's a big part of why you'll pay literally twice as much per month. In many rural areas, Bell, Rogers, and Telus have similar coverage holes to Wind, but in urban areas they are all mostly outstanding.

Wind has the disadvantage of a high frequency spectrum and only a couple of years to build their network. Mobilicity and Public Mobile have similar issues. Fido, before they were bought by Rogers years ago, also had similar network problems.

This isn't meant as a defence of Wind, it's a statement of fact. For the most part, Wind's network isn't as strong as Rogers, and won't be any time soon. Unfortunately, you seem to live in an area with weaker coverage. As I said, that is the nature of wireless service; they cannot guarantee coverage in any single place. Presumably, Wind techs have never been in your house, so they can't know exactly what coverage will be like in your home.

As for their customer service, it is definitely not very good. I'd recommend trying to request French support. The French techs all speak English as well, and they're located in Canada and, in my experience, are far more competent. If the problem is just that signal in your house is weak, they won't be able to help you though.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I live in an urban area, my phone settings have been verified but despite that the signal for my Wind phone is really weak (more than just being spotty) and calls are dropped where other cell networks work just fine (this I have noticed in several urban areas in Mississauga as well).

In my opinion, Wind is not worth getting and if anyone reads this I hope you do your research and save yourself the trouble from making the mistake of becoming a Wind customer. You should also go read the BBB complaints for Wind Mobile, my ratings for Wind Mobile:

Customer service: 1/10
Plan costs: 8/10
Cellular service/coverage: 4/10
Recommend others: NO
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Do you guys work for Wind Mobile or something
Other than doing some work for them through my employer, before they started up, no I don't work for them. However, I have been using cell phones for years, both Rogers (personal & work phones) & Telus (work) and have always found there were dead spots. As I mentioned earlier, I cannot reliably use my cell phone at one end of my condo, due to poor signal there.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 12:13 AM
Veteran

A few points:

- If your phone doesn't get a WIND signal at all, then it will/should roam onto a Rogers tower. The problem with this is that the phone will hang onto any WIND signal that is there....even if it's very low. Only if the signal is gone completely will the phone roam onto Rogers.

- Rogers/Telus/Bell use a combination of 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies, while WIND uses the 1700MHz band. The lower the frequency, the better the signal can penetrate inside buildings.

- Bell/Telus/Rogers have more towers than WIND does. As others have said, they've had many years to build up their infrastructure compared to WIND. Also, the comment above regarding frequencies applies here as well.

Take note we're in agreement with you about the limited reception of WIND...but no carrier provides 100% accurate coverage maps (mostly because there are so many variables when it comes to wireless signals that it would be extremely difficult - if not impossible - to do so)

I had the same experiences with Mobilicity here, and there was nothing I could do but keep my Bell line. For some people the limited coverage works, but for others (like us) that just isn't the case.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 12:52 AM
Veteran

When I was on Bell I had horrendous signal issues in North Vancouver and down town, it was so bad I bought out both contacts 18 months early. As had been stated cell phone coverage maps are no guarantee of coverage. If the service is so bad buy out your contract, Rogers gave me $700 in line credit to get my business.

Tags
bad customer service , poor signal , scam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.