Wind Mobile falsely advertising cell service areas? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 07:16 AM
Veteran

It could also be the brand of phone the OP is using. I was on Telus and switched to Koodo (same towers). Decided to try a Samsung Galaxy Ace. Reception was horrid.

Switched back to a Blackberry and reception is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
- If your phone doesn't get a WIND signal at all, then it will/should roam onto a Rogers tower.
Wind blocks roaming within their coverage zones.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Do you guys work for Wind Mobile or something
In response to such a rude and ignorant thing to say, I will say that you are an obnoxious, ill-informed and ignorant consumer who is trying to blame Wind for your own inadequacies.

Clearly you did little or no research when you selected Wind hence why your first posts on this forum are a diatribe.

Your rude comments to those of us who are trying to help you now make me hope that your issues don't get resolved because you deserve what you get!

Good Riddance.
capersx2 likes this.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Wind blocks roaming within their coverage zones.
Not here...

Samsung Galaxy S III, on Wind. I've seen the phone roam when visiting an apartment on the 10th floor facing north of our building, and even though the signal meter shows full scale on Wind, it will randomly (from that location) roam... Never at street level though... (High locations distort reception patterns...)

Also, during one of the recent snow storms, I've actually watched the phone (same problem location) drop from Wind to "Wind Away" to "Emergency Calls Only" status... Interesting....

But then, the same location confused an old Rogers Paygo analogue phone too... It "Roamed" from it's local calling area as it latched onto a distant tower...

A side note: I went into the phone config to see if it would identify other carriers, and it showed Wind, and two listings of "Wind Away".... So if I'm guessing correctly, it might not just be Rogers it could roam to...

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Last edited by CamDAB; 2013-03-05 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added side note
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-14, 01:32 AM

I know a few guys who moved from big three cause they were getting ripped off. But coming to wind not only did they want to pay dirt cheap rate they picked up garbage $0 phones from wind running antique Gingerbread operating systems.

Of course your calls are gonna drop. Get a real phone first. I have Nexus 4. Its a true Android phone with latest operating system. Its $ 309 plus tax and shipping.

I never drop any calls. I use TuneIn app to listen to radio when I drive around. Still I get almost 99 % signal which is awesome considering I am driving.

I do not work for wind. I am on $40 plan. Moved from Fido after 8 years of paying mortgage rate. Never been happier.

Don't believe me? Fine go back and make the Big three happy. There are still half a million wind subscribers and we know what is good or not. Maybe You work for Rogers.
creepwalker likes this.

Last edited by 57; 2013-03-14 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Language
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-14, 01:53 PM

Scarborough has some sizeable holes too. Most cell towers in urban areas are not actually towers, but are actually rooftop units on tall buildings. Within city limits it can be very, very difficult to get an actual cell tower built. Nobody wants a cell tower in their neighbourhood, and finding available land that's not too close to houses can be very hard, especially in this ultra connected day where as soon as they find a location, word spreads throughout the area and residents inevitably revolt. Political interests get involved, and it often gets shut down.

In areas like downtown Toronto, where there are a lot of office buildings, apartments, and condos, it can be pretty easy to get "towers" up, because there are more buildings than providers need, and the buildings end up competing for the free money that comes from a carrier renting their rooftop. In suburban areas, if there are few or no tall buildings around, it can be impossible for carriers like Wind to find somewhere suitable that does not already have an exclusive agreement with another carrier.

Bell, Rogers, and Telus face the same issues, but they've been around so long that they've had plenty of time to resolve most of them. For the new carriers, some of these holes can potentially take years to sort out.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-03-14, 05:51 PM

Wind should hire the guy from Verizon "Can you hear me now?" and let him find all the dead places.

Seriously though, Ienvy you guys even with the dead spots cause here in NB, we need Wind as a carrier.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2013-04-29, 04:49 PM

my experiments with WIND are over.

I am not new with cells, had Fido, AT&T Canada, Rogers, Bell - all of them. Signed up for WIND to give 'small guy a chance'. Mistake.
WIND Mobile Canada turned bad really quick. They started good but went downhill immediately. Me, few co-workers and family members signed up for WIND but eventually left it because of poor coverage and even worse customer service. Warning - after you leave WIND they disable online credit card payment for you AND send your balance to the collection agency NEXT DAY AFTER DEW DATE.

CM4228, Panasonic TH-50PX600U, Pioneer DVD-R
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Abysmal service from WINDmobile

I have had abysmal service from WINDmobile. I am in Surrey, within a "Wind Home zone", but have been able to make outgoing calls from my home for only 3 1/2 days out of the 6 weeks I have been a subscriber. My frequent complaints are routinely met with promises their technical people will contact me to resolve the problems. But they have never once got back to me. Not once.

I have had to go as far as 10 city blocks to make any outgoing call whatsoever. And Wind has charged me roaming rates for both outgoing and incoming calls within the so-called Home zone. After I complained of those wrongfully added charges, Wind cancelled them, but then added them back in to the next bill.

Wind has deceived me, and I am very, very disappointed.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-24, 06:39 PM
Rookie

I also have had the royal runaround with Wind...and I do believe that certain brands of phone or OS systems are incompatible with the Wind signal...for example I have an ancient LG P-999 that I can actually use as a phone and a text sender in my home which is smack dab in the middle of the supposed Wind Zone in central Vancouver. On the other hand, my brand new Moto G 2nd Gen is useless as a phone and sends/receives texts intermittently at best and in roaming mode mostly that I have to then call up monthly to have charges reversed - since I haven't been roaming.

In switching from the LG, once I had paid off that phone's Windtab, I 'upgraded' at the salesmen's urging to a Moto G sec gen - I Liked the phone and found its ability to connect to the network a tad diminished from my LG but there were 'sweet spots' in my home I could use it in - so I was fine with that - if it did lose signal it DIDN'T go into roaming - just showed no signal...so fine - I moved the phone to its sweet spot and we were good again.

Then came the Lolli POOP update - or should I say SUCKER update...well wither term applies - my phone is now a brick in my home and also in about an 8 block radius around it as well as various and sundry other areas IN THE WIND ZONE. The phone is constantly stuck in roaming mode. And forget about data - there is nada data anywhere unless you are connected to WIFI.

I bought the phone in Feb 2015 and because it worked fine for the fifteen days window I had to return it, I kept it - I really liked it - BUT then came the Lolli POOP update (May-ish), that you are pretty much forced to get due to constant notifications, (and I've heard even installs itself silently after a while in the middle of the night or something) is I guess NOT Wind's problem according to them - so they are fine with selling phones with OS's that are incompatible with their network... but they don't care. I feel like going into Wind stores and declaring loudly to anyone there "Whatever you do, do not buy a moto g 2nd gen and then update it to lollipop - you will be so SOL!!"

After many attempts with Wind to resolve the fact that the phone they sold me doesn't work - i finally sent the phone for repair through Motorola but the phone came back exactly the same - it is still a brick at my home, around my home and all over the wind zone except for a few sweet spots (one of them at the Wind store of course). I told Motorola that their repair did nothing so they suggested I send it in again! I suggested they replace my six month old phone with another Moto G 2nd Gen with the good old KITKAT OS system installed on it that will not force me to update to Lolli poop and we would be good to go. But no one wants to cop to the fact that the update is crap and is turning phones into bricks - even with the software repaired/reflashed.

I do not understand how the CRTC cant let them any of them get away with this. I now have to buy a new phone (and just hope another model will not be a brick at my home and around it) and keep paying off that Windtab for the moto (maybe I could sell it?) OR pay Wind $200 plus f just to leave them and their yes false advertising and unscrupulous offerings of phones that dont work on their network and cant pick up and hold onto their signal....Either way I am out of pocket through no fault of my own (never mind the countless hours I have spent TRYING to be remedied) WHO IS ACCOUNTABLE for this?? This is fraud I agree.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 02:04 PM

The phone is still compatible with Wind, it just has a weak cellular radio. It's common for smartphones to have weaker radios than older feature phones, and when they updated the phone, it probably came with new firmware for the radio which degraded performance on Wind. Since Wind is such a small carrier, they're not going to get much attention from Motorola for fixes, and the marginal performance loss coupled with the weaker network pushed it over a line for you.

It's unfortunate, but it's not really Wind's fault. And it's certainly not the domain of the CRTC, anymore than it's their concern whether the wifi in the laptops sold at Best Buy performs well, or the stereos they sell get good FM radio signal.
Norman_C likes this.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 04:10 PM
Rookie

It's not really Wind's fault...really?

How can you say this? I don't care how 'small' they are - they are either professional or they're not...either they stand by the products they sell and recommend you buy or... they do not? it would seem not and maybe that is why they remain 'small'.

And I certainly would not call this phone compatible once updated...I guess you would have to actually own the phone to understand how bad it is...

Ok and so, if this is not CRTC domain, who is supposed to regulate the integrity of cell phone providers, then the onus is on the retailer to furnish a product THAT ACTUALLY WORKS with their bandwidth. I am sure that if Best Buy sold me something that didn't work they would take it back and give me something that did.

You say "this MARGINAL loss has pushed it over the line for you". Ha ha! the phone is not a phone MOST of the time - it is not MARGINAL - as I mentioned the phone is a brick re calling, receiving and texting almost all of the time and in MANY MANY areas of the wind zone - and right in the middle of the wind zone - I am not in the suburbs or on the fringes...my phone is in roaming mode at least 60 - 70 percent of the time...I have to call customer service monthly and re-explain over and over, never mind the LONG wait times to actually talk to someone, to have all text roaming charges reversed. Don't have to have call roaming charges reversed because I CAN'T MAKE CALLS. Every month I have to do this...(I think I had ONE phone call on my usage record last month...did I mention I cant make calls?)

And with it being in roaming mode so much of the time I miss a lot of important texts workwise and personal - I get 'parts' of convos - which lead to many misunderstandings that I cannot even resolve by calling cause the PHONE DOESNT WORK.

Just so you know, I have been with Wind since the beginning and have always thought it was good value and was ok with the outages from time to time here and there...I could always find a sweet spot and the phone did not go into roaming and get stuck there. I got data and I could text and make calls at least 90 percent of the time and that was ok with me.

But this phone? I am sure Wind knows this phone is useless yet they keep selling it - and they won't take it back - this is where I have a problem. If they expect to be taken seriously and GROW as a company they have to stand by their product or just keep getting flogged in forums like these ...which I am sure steer people clear away from their service. Customer service is customer service - end of story. They have to walk their talk and they do not.
Angelfish and d0X like this.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 07:40 PM

You regulate this by taking your business to a company that fits your needs. Its nothing to do with the phone. Wind just has a subpar network, but in exchange your bill is half of what people pay to the incumbents. You pick your poison.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-25, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat59 View Post
How can you say this? I don't care how 'small' they are - they are either professional or they're not...either they stand by the products they sell and recommend you buy or... they do not? it would seem not and maybe that is why they remain 'small'.
Here's how this goes: Motorola releases the update, which degrades cellular radio performance on Wind's network. A manager or executive in Wind's handset acquisitions department calls up their rep at Motorola and tells them about this. That person promises to bring it to the engineering department. The ticket is prioritized near the bottom, because tickets from carriers like Verizon and AT&T and Vodafone, who generate 100 times more revenue for Motorola, are much more important to them. Wind is extremely lucky if their ticket is seen by an engineer before Motorola drops support for the phone in a year or two.

That sucks, but there isn't really anything they can do about it.

Quote:
And I certainly would not call this phone compatible once updated...I guess you would have to actually own the phone to understand how bad it is...
The fact that the radio performance is poor doesn't make it not compatible, any more than your wireless router would be considered not compatible with wifi if it just had really weak range.

Quote:
Ok and so, if this is not CRTC domain, who is supposed to regulate the integrity of cell phone providers, then the onus is on the retailer to furnish a product THAT ACTUALLY WORKS with their bandwidth. I am sure that if Best Buy sold me something that didn't work they would take it back and give me something that did.
As @yyzlhr said, you can take your business elsewhere. Or you can pursue this with Motorola yourself. If Best Buy sold you something that didn't work, I'm sure they would take it back. But if they sold you something that did work until a manufacturer software update months later made it less effective, I can guarantee you they would do nothing for you.

Quote:
You say "this MARGINAL loss has pushed it over the line for you". Ha ha! the phone is not a phone MOST of the time - it is not MARGINAL
Think of the connection between your phone and a cellular network like a seam. With Wind's weaker network, that seam was severely frayed. When you switched from your LG to the Moto, it was hanging by a thread - hence the need for "sweet spots". And the marginal drop in performance with the Lollipop update was enough to break that seam entirely. It only takes a 5% drop in performance to make a huge difference for you, but that's still a marginal decline.

Quote:
But this phone? I am sure Wind knows this phone is useless yet they keep selling it - and they won't take it back - this is where I have a problem. If they expect to be taken seriously and GROW as a company they have to stand by their product or just keep getting flogged in forums like these ...which I am sure steer people clear away from their service. Customer service is customer service - end of story. They have to walk their talk and they do not.
It had been more than three months. No carrier will take back a device after that much time, regardless of the reason. Even the best electronics return policies are only 90 days.

Anyway, you asked who is accountable and the answer is Motorola. Wind didn't produce this update, and while their network is weak, it didn't get any weaker. They didn't do anything here - Motorola did.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-08-26, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
In this case I suspect both Wind and Motorola didn't properly vet the Google Lollipop (v5.x.x) update relative to that phone model.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Tags
bad customer service , poor signal , scam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.