Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Best Android phone on Alternate Carriers?

7K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on what the best Android Phone that can be used on an Alternate Carrier is today?

Google Nexus S or something else?

#5 ·
I am thinking of getting a T-Mobile LG Optimus T and unlock it to use with Mobi or Wind. I am interested in hearing owner review on Wind or Mobi network.

This is an entry level Android 2.2 phone. I got a LG Optimus One from Koodo 3 weeks ago. Unlocked it and can be use with the big 3. But the Optimus T uses Wind and Mobi frequencies.

My kid is using it outside North America to call home using netTalk over WiFi without any long distance charge. My caller display a area code 305 Miami when my kid called.

#6 ·
I'm looking beyond entry level and I want a device that can run the latest OS.

#8 ·
The Nexus S is the best Android phone on any carrier. Powerful hardware is of little use when you're using old software. Either way the hardware will be dated in a few months, and I've found the performance improvements from one device to another tend to be negated by the performance improvements each major Android release brings.

Not to mention the concerns about security issues not being promptly fixed, or that the next Android release (Ice Cream Sandwich) may bring major improvements and new features, and the Optimus 2X may never see it.

#9 ·
TorontoColin, anything on the horizon worth waiting for?

I'm thinking of porting over the next time someone has a special promo.

#10 ·
There are rumours of a new Nexus device in the fall to coincide with the launch of Ice Cream Sandwich. It might be worth waiting for if you get into late August/early September anyway.

However, while it seems very likely, there are no guarantees it will come with the AWS band, and it likely won't come to Canada until February, so you'll have to drive to the US to get it.

Traditionally, Google has had a partner release a flagship device with a major new Android release (HTC G1 for 1.5, Motorola Droid for 2.0, and Motorola Xoom for 3.0), so we may see a partner device with Ice Cream Sandwich and then a Nexus device a couple of months later. That said, they launched Gingerbread exclusively on the Nexus S, so maybe that's the direction they'll go with Ice Cream Sandwich too.

The only thing I'm really confident about is that if something comes up, you'll have to get it in the US. I'd suggest you plan to go with the Nexus S for now, if you get the deal you want. When you're ready to pull the trigger, check back and see if there's any more substantiated rumours of imminent devices.

#11 ·
Nexus S.
1) stock android from Google = fastest security and feature updates
(and less bloat - android as it's supposed to be)
2) Decent hardware, includes NFC + FFC

That being said, there is the rumour of the next in the Nexus line coming up ("Nexus Prime"?).
I'd wait to see how that pans out.
Wouldn't want to buy the NS only to have NP be released the next month and make your NS seem inferior :p

#12 ·
The only issue I take with the "wait for Nexus Prime" advice is that the Nexus S was talked about in Q4 2010 and reviewed by tech sites in December 2010.

If you wanted to buy one in Canada, they weren't available until April 2011. That's 5 months.

With that kind of time-to-market track record, I'd suggest not worrying about the Nexus Prime if you want to get your hands on a phone before Christmas.

If it were me I'd get a Nexus S because I prefer "software purity" over incremental hardware improvements. I want stock Android and timely updates from Google. A dual-core processor just doesn't mean much to me if it's running Android 2.2.

#14 ·
I was in Best Buy today asking if they sold Nexus S unlocked. The guy said the Nexus S was unlocked for every provider.

Koodo is currently selling it for $425. Can you purchase it at Best Buy and then use it on Mobilicity or Wind (who are selling it for $499) provided you buy a SIM card from one of the carriers?

#20 ·
Try asking around at the licensed (non-corporate) Mobilicity dealers in your area. They will often have the high-end handsets at bargain rate prices. A friend of mine was able to find the Nexus S at $450 from one dealer in his area the week it launched, and I've heard stories of some selling it for even less.

#21 ·
For comparison, I went for a cheap, functional Android. I picked up an LG Optimus One from Koodo back in April...after taking into account the gift card I got, but also paying off the Koodo Tab, the thing cost me $100 (I'm sure it would be less now)...I got it unlocked and inserted a PC (Presidents Choice) Mobile SIM card...while their phone calls are pricey at 20c/min, what I really wanted it for was the data which is $10/month for 100MB or $25/month for 500MB.

I've bought two non-contract cell phones this year...both are now unlocked and I can't imagine being locked in by the big boys again!

#23 ·
I myself have an Optimus T from T-Mobile unlocked to use on Mobilicity. The stock ROM for the phone is ok on Froyo (2.2), but if you root it and install Gingerbread (2.3) on it, it makes the phone fly. I'm using the Cyanogen custom rom for the phone.

For $250 to buy it, ship it, and unlock it. it is definitely worth the money. No problems with it.

#24 ·
We got my son an HTC Panache on Mobilicity. He loves it.

I can't really compare since I haven't had a lot of experience with Android Phones but it seems like a great phone when I've used it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.