Toronto: Wind Mobile coverage & call quality experiences? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-03, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Toronto: Wind Mobile coverage & call quality experiences?

I'd like to hear some general experiences from existing Wind Mobile subscribers regarding network coverage in the GTA (I'm most interested in the west end of Mississauga), including call quality/dropped calls and building penetration i.e. office buildings, basements.

My longtime contract with Rogers is finally expiring, and in exploring what the various (newer) mobile carriers have to offer, Wind appears to have what I'm looking for from a plan and pricing standpoint. However, in doing my diligence in terms of online research, the opinions I've read (in other forums and the Wind community pages) have been quite mixed in terms of network coverage.

I've checked coveragemapper, which looks ok in general, although there seem to be quite a few pockets of dead zones in Mississauga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 12:34 PM

When it works it works well, but I would say that I experience more drops than I prefer. I also find that the signal strength is lower than I would expect when inside buildings, etc. I love the price, but the reliability leaves a little bit wanting. I should note that I have one of their cheapest phones, so it could be that I'm experiencing issues that I would not on a better phone.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 05:04 PM
Veteran

The phone makes a huge difference.
I have (usable) signal with my nexus one, where my (crap) gravity 2 would say no service.

I've generally had a positive experience.
Basements can be bad (depends on distance from tower, and again, phone)
Concrete buildings are killer (again, depends on distance and phone).

I'm impressed with how well the signal travels, despite the (relatively) sparse towers available.
In my house, the nearest tower is 1.6km away. 2nd floor, I get 3-4 bars and 1-2mbps data.
1st floor, 2-3 bars, 1-2mbps
basement, 0-1 (note that an android 0 = still connected and functional), 0.5-1mbps

That's not bad for 1.6km..

<500m from a tower, or really high up (e.g. 10th floor at work, probably 1km to tower) I get a good 3mbps, if not 5.

I haven't had a dropped call since April 2010.
Call quality has been excellent, though it depends on the phone on the other end. (I have some people call me who are using one of the big 3 [I don't know which one, not self censoring ] and every single time it is horrendous and breaking up, regardless of where they are - and it's not my end of the connection, does the same with landline to their cell)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 11:57 AM
Rookie

I work in the west end of Mississauga and I live in Burlington and I have no problem with coverage. The signal strength has always been great and I don't remember the last time I ever had a dropped call. I have the Motorola XT720. If I compare my situation to my brother, he is also on WIND and experienced a lot of dropped calls. He got a better phone and he has had no issues since. As a previous poster mentioned, the phone plays a big part in your reception. If you get a cheap phone then be prepared for dropped calls.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-15, 10:46 PM
Rookie

i've been on WIND for a year, N900. i'm mostly in the SQ1 and airport areas.

i've had issues with the data stick, canceled that and now tether to my phone. problem solved.

i mostly text and use data. the rare times i actually talk to someone, honestly, it's been embarrassing at times.

both my home and office are less than a km away from at least 1 tower, under 2km from 2.

overall though, i'm happy with the service, with the support, and with not paying rogers, telus, or bell.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Great feedback from everyone.

I'm officially contract-free, and Wind is currently tops on my list of providers to switch to. The observations regarding reception quality being dependent on the phone model wasn't something I had considered.

Last edited by Tezster; 2011-05-16 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo; slight edit
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 08:56 AM
Member #1

tezster, I'd also consider Mobilicity. I used it from Burlington to Downtown Toronto and had no problem with reception. I used a Blackberry Bold 9780
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 09:19 AM
Digital Sage

I have the Blackberry 9700 and use it daily from Burlington to Toronto commute. A small dead zone in Mississauga but the rest is fine, including in office towers in downtown T.O.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I haven't made a final decision yet, and Mobilicity is "in the mix" of providers I'm thinking of switching to. However, if the Canadian Cell Tower finder is accurate, their nearest tower is 4km from my home, which worries me. I'm on the extreme western edge of their coverage map (west of Winston Churchill), so their current coverage may not work out for me.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 11:13 AM
Member #1

Just thought I would throw the suggestion out there.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 01:14 PM

My experience with Wind was pretty bad (Somerset, Calgary and downtown Vancouver).

I would take their map and roll back the boundary by 4-5 km.

Telus Optik and Shaw Gateway.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-06-28, 11:43 PM

Hi guys im new to the wind network as well only been a couple of weeks. Im in the brampton/etobicoke area mostly and have to say over all the coverage has been pretty good. Im using the g2x from tmobile on the network and so far no dropped calls. There have been a few spots where i get no signal in certain buildings or areas but usually only infrequently. I am not a big phone user so for me the call quality has been quite good given the limited time ive spent talking. As for data well again its been pretty good this is my first foray into the smartphone market so truly i dont really know the speeds of whats out there but for what i need its been pretty good . using the home wifi also boosts signal for times when you really need that extra oompf.
Cant argue with the pricing though and im sure their network coverage being still a fledgling carrier will only get better. There are instances when my daughters blackberry switched to wind away while in a wind zone and had to pay for that. knowing this i set my phone to roaming off because who wants to pay more for something you have paid for already.
Hope it helps and i will say that for me the wind experience , esp the customer service has been very smooth and uncomplicated
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 06:09 PM
Veteran

Yes, I'd recommend setting your phone to manual network selection and set it to wind home.
Chances are you will not drop out of it except in the odd spot (e.g. inside a concrete building) that the signal can't quite get to.

Often phones will switch to roaming when there is still usable signal, because that's in their programming.
E.g. my phone on manual will work down to 0 bars.
If I had it on automatic, it would have switched when it reached zero bars, despite there being usable signal.

That's an extreme case, though. (My basement)
Normally if you're outside you would never get that low if you're within the known coverage area. Indoors is highly dependent on the structure type and surrounding terrain/buildings
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:12 PM

West Mississauga had really poor Wind coverage; my friend canceled Wind & went with Mobilicity and it is so much better.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 06:48 PM

Once you get west of Mississauga, Wind coverage is generally excellent..

I've primarily used my Wind phone in Burlington, Oakville and Hamilton, and I've yet to have a call dropped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.