Wind Mobile Blackberry Customers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-02-25, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Wind Mobile Blackberry Customers

I am seriously looking at Wind Mobile as an alternative to Telus Mobility in Edmonton.

Believe it or not, I can buy out the remaining 24 mos. on my contract with Telus and switch to Wind, buy the Blackberry Bold outright, and still save money over the long run. Granted it's only a couple hundred bucks over two years, but if Wind Mobile service is that good I might do it just to spite Telus.

So, what I am hoping is that some Blackberry toting Wind Mobile customers can chime in and let me know what they think of the service. Reliability? Data speeds? etc...

I am excited about $35/mo for unlimited data everything with tethering coming soon. Pair that with the "chat" plan for $15 and I have all I really need.

Thoughts?

Can I really expect my bill to be $15 + $35 + taxes every month??? No contracts. No system access fee, no 911, no other cash grabs??? Somebody pinch me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 09:01 AM

I don't think you will find many Wind users in this forum and suggest you search around for forum that specializes in mobile phones (no to mention any competing sites here).

Unless Wind's launch is a lot smoother in Edmonton than it was in Calgary and Toronto (service outages, dropped calls, hot & miss roaming, incorrect invoices, non-responsive customer service and lots of blocked ports for Blackberry users), it would be best to wait 2-3 months before jumping ship from Telus. From what I have heard, Telus is rock solid in every nook, cranny and well-head AB has to offer. Wind will offer service in Calgary and Edmonton only, for the near future, and anywhere else will roam on Rogers. Outside the cities, service will be only as good as Rogers.

That's the price of saving a couple hundred dollars and only you can decide if it's worth it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 11:06 AM

Wind just sweetend the pot for people considering switching.

"WIND will provide you $150 in credit on your account to help offset the “sting”. No questions asked. Just port your number from any of the other operators before the end of March, and we’ll credit your account with $150. It’s that simple."

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/W...tracts-thanks/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 11:30 AM

I would wait a little longer as tethering is still not working with the BB9700 and and for those who are able to tether with other phones there are issues with blocked ports but Wind has promised to review those issues. The plans are excellent and now with $15o credit if you port over, ever better.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Blocked Ports?

The $150 credit makes it even more enticing.

What is this about blocked ports? How can I expect it to affect browsing the web and other internet enabled things that I do on my Blackberry currently? Do these blocked ports affect installation of apps, using internet services, GPS nav or anything like that?

If I can't just move in and expect the same/similar service I am used too, then I may not be able to justify the cost savings, at least not yet.

The bottom line is.. Do they restrict the use of any Blackberry services, with the exception of tethering, in any way?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 01:28 PM

jmlowes,

To summarize, streaming on the BB is functioning yet, you can browse but the BB browser is not very good IMO.
I got the BB9700 when I signed up with Wind, I ended up returning it and got myself a different phone that would work on Wind's network but port blocking is still an issue although they have fixed it for certain apps (ie. fring).

You can get more info on their website or in the Hofo forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.