Wind Mobile launches in Edmonton on Feb 25th - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 08:48 PM

Hmm, there's no mention of Ottawa. They said this month so I'm assuing Ottawa Will be online very soon.

Just speculating
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 08:50 PM
Veteran

Ottawa will be soon. They have been blanketing print and radio with ads in the past two weeks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 09:16 PM

I must say, I have noticed that for sure.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 11:22 PM

If anybody cares WIND does have the IC licenses as of April 2010 to start turning on equipment in London, St. Catherines, Barrie & K/W.

The info is from the IC databases.

The IC link is here.. In order to get to the issue dates, you need to download the XML file with the full data.

http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/w...ny_cd=90045300
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 03:20 PM

I can't see how WIND could be a viable option for anyone in Alberta (save for someone like a student who doesn't move around much) at the moment with the current coverage area. The zone doesn't currently cover the entire city and the map goes all over the place, making it seem like you have to carry it around with you to know where you get service and where your roaming. As far as the plans go, they are a nice change to be sure, but really only competetive with the CURRENT plans being offered by the other three. Rogers, in the wake of a recession and at a time of new providers launching, has still been raising prices. For example a year ago you could get a Smartphone with everything included from Rogers for $67.45+tax and for the same thing they now charge $82.58+tax. I can't comment on Telus/Bell since I don't subscribe but I can only assume they have done something similar as most of the plans offered by the big three are very similar.

A question about the roaming (on Rogers)...does AWS only use 1700MHz as a primary band for 3G? I'm just wondering how these phones roam on Rogers network which isn't AWS... I'm assuming the WIND/T-Mobile phones have 1700Mhz and either 850Mhz/1900Mhz available but only for GPRS/EDGE...can someone calrify this for me please? Also will WIND be up to par at 21Mbps anytime soon like the others? Rogers is lagging a bit in this department too outside of the five major cities. Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 04:33 PM

Wind/T-Mobile phones run on AWS for 3G and can also run on GSM/EDGE for 2G, which is how they roam on Rogers. They cannot connect to Rogers' 3G network, just like they can't connect to Bell/Telus' 3G network.

If Wind covers the areas you spend most of your time in then they're viable for you. If you have to roam sometimes then you need to determine of your savings covers that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 10:02 PM

Was at my neighbourhood Blockbuster tonight and there's a WIND booth in the store now. I spoke to the rep briefly about an Ottawa launch and he indicated that it was coming on Tuesday.

I haven't seen any announcements about this yet so it may be a soft launch (?).

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier

Tags
edmonton , wind mobile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.