Wind Mobile setting up shop in 16 Blockbuster locations - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 12:46 PM
Veteran

So that's what Blockbuster is going to morph into.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL 9400 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One S
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 12:46 PM

Finally, a reason to step inside a Blockbuster again.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I wouldn't call this the best business move.
I haven't been to a blockbuster in years. Nowadays online rentals are more convenient. Or if it's an older movie, the library loans out all kinds of dvd's...

Anyways, I guess it reduces their overhead drastically. Then if (when?) blockbuster dies, they'll probably just take over the stores.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Actually, I think this is pretty smart. A lot of people still go through Blockbuster on a given week so Globalive now has 150 square feet of retail space in 16 high traffic locations without any competitors.

In addition, as a budget brand looking for a more middle of the road demographic, the Blockbuster demo is probably pretty good.

Ideally, Wind needs to get distribution in Wal-Mart where you are likely to find price conscious consumers looking for basic wireless packages.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 01:51 PM

I agree with Hugh: it's a smart move. The choice of B-Buster locations is shrewd, at least in Oakville. There are several B-B stores in our city, but the WIND kiosk will be in the store directly across from Sheridan College. That demographic is the one WIND is hoping to reach.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 09:32 AM
Veteran

I also think this is a great idea, but they only have 3 BBV locations in Calgary. None of which is very close to me. I am guessing in the coming months they will setup kiosks in more BBV locations.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I have a feeling that Wind is working hard to get in a lot of locations but logistically, it must be a massive endeavour. So many people to train, the cost of all the support material etc.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 10:23 AM
Veteran

I noticed on Wind's job section, that there are a lot of job postings for part time retail positions for different areas of Calgary. These probably correspond to different BBV locations. My guess anyway
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't call this the best business move.
I haven't been to a blockbuster in years. Nowadays online rentals are more convenient. Or if it's an older movie, the library loans out all kinds of dvd's...

Anyways, I guess it reduces their overhead drastically. Then if (when?) blockbuster dies, they'll probably just take over the stores.
It's a business move by Blockbuster to get some revenue out of its store leases and maybe get some customers through the door. As for video rentals, that business is just slightly hotter than selling 8-track tapes and WIND will be left scrambling for locations as the buster goes bust and landlords lock the doors.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 12:05 PM
Veteran

We're getting a bit OT here but after several years of watching PVR'd movies only, I've been frequenting my local Calgary area Blockbusters quite a bit and everything I've been there they've been absolutely packed. Once I counted a 45 person line up to get to the registers. Most new releases are completely out.

So they must be loosing on low margins and not the volume.

Now, for Wind's sake, you have lots of people just standing in line there for 5-10 minutes so putting a Wind Mobile brochure in their face might make sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.