Wind Mobile is a go! - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 01:37 PM
Member #1

This thread is discussing Wind Mobile in Canada. Please lets stick to it. Discussions of rates in other countries have taken place in other threads so you may wish to search there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
I think by next summer, they should be in most of the major cities in Canada. Somewhere on Wind's site they mention about 5 cities that will be operational in a few months, can't find it right now though.
The link for coverage is finally working for me now

It appears that Vancouver, Ottawa and Edmonton are the planned expansion HOME zones for 2010. I would imagine by the summer of 2011 they'll be all over.

Last edited by hugh; 2009-12-16 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Removed link. Most windmobile links are dead or not working
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 03:16 PM

Replace my Home Landline

While the focus has been on renewed competition in the mobile market, it seems to me that these plans could also replace home landlines.

Telus

$48 / month
200 included minutes within Canada and to the U.S., 4˘ calling to Canada, the U.S. and 50 international destinations

$65 / month
Unlimited Calling within Canda and to the U.S., 1000 minutes to 50 international destinations

post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 09:57 PM
Veteran

I wonder if Wind (GlobalLive) who also runs Yak will team up with MTS/Allstream for a nationwide network as I believe Yak uses Allstream like Primus to have 4th national carrier rather than regional.
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 08:35 AM

When Globalive starts up an actual prepaid service, it will most likely be Yak (I think)

djino
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It appears that Vancouver, Ottawa and Edmonton are the planned expansion HOME zones for 2010. I would imagine by the summer of 2011 they'll be all over.
In a recent interview, Wind's Anthony Lacavera said Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver should launch sometime in Q1. Southwestern Ontario should be up this year too.
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 11:34 AM

Number Porting Update

According to a WIND manager at the Oakville kiosk who I spoke with today (Saturday), number porting is still not available and there is no information on when it will be. Technical glitches are the source of the problem. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.
post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 04:35 PM

No WIND in Winnipeg this year?
post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 12:45 PM
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
And that's a good thing. The CRTC doesn't serve Canadians, it serves the established Canadian telecom industry. Kudos to a government with the courage to dismantle that nightmare.
I think you need to get your facts straight... The CRTC has been a thorn in the sides of Bell/Telus for a long time. I'm sure they would love to see the CRTC go away and we the customers would suffer the consequences. I can think of a few things Bell/Telus would immediately start doing like more Internet throttling, selective crippling of certain Internet sites/applications, stop serving rural communities, stop selling their DSL lines at wholesale and/or significantly hike the prices etc...

Pick you poison I guess... The CRTC sure isn't perfect but it's doing a decent job protecting Canadians IMO. Like anything in life it's a balancing act. If you want to trade this for a pro "Big Business" government calling the shots it's up to you...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.