Wind Mobile is a go! - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 09:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp View Post
they just don't have the products customers want as far as I am concerned. Maybe they just don't want to compete with Rogers.
And how do you know they don't have the products customers want? Have you taken a survey of all wireless customers to find out what they want? I am guessing you are referring to the fact that the iPhone will not work on their network, well that is hardly Wind's fault. The iPhone will not work on the spectrum Wind purchased. There are rumours that T-Mobile in the US will be getting the iPhone in the future. This would mean that Apple will build an iPhone that works on the same frequency that Wind runs on. I find it quite funny how people are quick to blame Wind on things totally out of their hands. The most irritating complaints of Wind have to do with the iPhone and no service in Quebec, both of which are not Winds fault.

Clement overturning the CRTC decision, IMHO, is the best news I have heard in a very long time. I am looking forward to when Wind launches. I will probably give Rogers my 30 day cancellation notice this week sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 09:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
I am looking forward to when Wind launches. I will probably give Rogers my 30 day cancellation notice this week sometime.
Hmmm...that would be a good thread in itself....Retention offers from the the Big Three when confronted with a defection to Wind. If they are sweeter than that we have observed in the past, then that would help prove the Big Three's oligopoly.
post #78 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Read in the paper that they will have plans "starting as low as $30/month". Explain to me how this is competition?
That all depends on what you get for your $30/month.

post #79 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 11:05 AM
Veteran

And how many hidden fees are buried in the fine print (if any).
post #80 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 11:26 AM
Rookie

In short, WIND's offering:
Chat: $15 per month
Unlimited WIND to WIND calling (Canada wide)
Unlimited incoming text
100 province-wide voice minutes
50 text messages

Always Talk: $35 per month
Unlimited WIND to WIND calling (Canada wide)
Unlimited province-wide calling
Unlimited incoming text
50 outgoing text messages

Always Shout: $45 per month
Unlimited Canada-wide calling
Unlimited incoming /outgoing text messages
Voicemail

Data Plans

Infinite Mobile: $35 per month (used with any voice plan)
Unlimited internet for phones (tethering too)

Infinite Laptop: $45 per month
Unlimited internet for USB data sticks

Possibly there will be a web on your phone only type data plan for $10/mn.

BlackBerry data plans
Social BlackBerry: $10 per month
Unlimited instant messaging, Facebook and MySpace.

Infinite BlackBerry: $35 per month (used with any voice plan)
Unlimited internet for BlackBerry

Addons:
Voice: 10c Per Minute with the $15 plan
SMS: 10c each
MMS: 20c each
Voicemail: $5

Long Distance:
$20 for unlimited North America
Original thread: http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...5&page=1&pp=15
post #81 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 02:51 PM

"Retention offers from the the Big Three when confronted with a defection to Wind. If they are sweeter than that we have observed in the past, then that would help prove the Big Three's oligopoly"

Just as a matter of principle, I will not now give my business to the big 3. I intend to support one of the upstarts.
post #82 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 04:02 PM
Member #1

Canada’s biggest telecommunications union plans to ask a federal judge to reverse the government’s decision to let Globalive Communications Corp. compete in the country’s wireless phone market.

“This decision is illegal,” Dave Coles, president of the Communications Energy and Paperworkers’ union, said in a phone interview. “There’s no sense in appealing to cabinet.”
post #83 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 04:22 PM
Q
Veteran

Is it just me or 50 outgoing messages not enough for two basic plans? I would have liked to see unlimited text included as well. You have to go to the $45 plan which is now at same rate I get with Rogers.
post #84 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 04:53 PM
Veteran

Hahaha, it's so funny to see an union doing the dirty work for their employer. It proves that this move really hurt both the monopolists and the organized crime structures called unions.
Once again kudos to the government.
post #85 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Canada’s biggest telecommunications union plans to ask a federal judge to reverse the government’s decision to let Globalive Communications Corp. compete in the country’s wireless phone market.

“This decision is illegal,” Dave Coles, president of the Communications Energy and Paperworkers’ union, said in a phone interview. “There’s no sense in appealing to cabinet.”
I have two letters to describe my thoughts on this matter.

BS.
post #86 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Sigh. I worked for Rogers. I'm an engineer (in communications, no less).

I'm SO glad WIND is launching on Wednesday at 10:30am EST. Last summer, when the spectrum auction was going on, my workplace was filled with all this propaganda.

The incumbents have rested on their laurels, constantly gouging consumers. System Access Fees? They used to CLAIM it was IMPOSED by the government until they were sued and changed the wording.

e911 technology is developed by Canadians, but yet we don't actually have this technology in our cellphones. It's just sad.

WIND has a national network (minus Quebec because they lost the auction) and roaming agreements all across North America.

[The money spent on the Quebec licenses was also ridiculous -- exceeding hte $400M+ that WIND spent for ALL the rest of Canada. That's how much $ the incumbents, in this case Quebecor, have to throw around.]

Finally, we will have plans like the U.S. where long distance has not existed for years.

Those complaining about the lack of an iPhone? Umm... the radio inside the iPhone doesn't support the frequencies. Educate yourself just a little before going off on something out of WIND's control. They have confirmed they will have BlackBerries too.

CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...ice-plans.html

Taken at last week's MobileMondayToronto:

post #87 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 07:22 PM

Quote:

The decision by Cabinet isn't illegal - it may be wrong - but illegal isn't the right word from what I can read in the legislation. The most I suspect a court would do is force the gov't to send the matter back to the CRTC, which Cabinet would do along with some guidelines about what constitutes foreign control (guidelines which the legislation enables the gov't to impose on the CRTC). The end result being the same decision we have now.

I suspected that some entity would appeal the Cabinet decision to Federal Court but I wonder what their actual argument will be since the clause in question is rather vague and subjective to begin with?
post #88 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:

...and nobody cares what another union "brother" thinks. The general public has such a vulgar bile taste their mouths from unions and their propaganda BS that this clown will quickly fade from the stage.
post #89 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 12:15 AM

I'm doing an MBA right now and one of the first lessons you learn in strategy class deals with how incumbents operate. In order to preserve their position they try to raise the barriers of entry into the market:

1. Quebecor buying up all the Quebec spectrum.
2. Lobbying the CRTC/government to restrict entry.

It's textbook strategy by bell/rogers/telus. Hopefully globalive can come up with some kind of new service that the other three can't easily adopt.
post #90 of 114 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 12:26 AM
Veteran

I say hit 'em square in the jewels with features that cost next-to-nothing but are popular and have obscene margins:

Unlimited Text included
In-Country LD included
Caller ID included
Low-cost US roaming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.