Skip The Dishes & Uber Eats Delivery Service? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Exid0r

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-08, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Unhappy Skip The Dishes & Uber Eats Delivery Service?

I was looking at the Web site Skip The Dishes, although the have a wide selection of restaurants to choose from, the menu selections are limited in what you can order from the restraint? Example The Works(Ottawa) has over 20 different types of burgers you can order in the restaurant, but thru Skip The Dishes the order for burgers is limited and if the one you like isn't on the menu your out of luck.

Now the thing is I know its not Skip the Dishes who puts out the menu for different restaurants it's the restaurant themselves, but if these restaurants want people to use Skip the Dishes for ordering food from their establishments then they should offer the entire selection offered in the menu when you go into the resturant?

The thing is a lot of these places don't deliver themselves, but you can order take out and pick it up(some places not all have "pick up orders')IE Mucho Burrito, but if you really like the food and can't drive as an example your SOL.

I'd wish the menu selections from these restaurants on Skip the Dishes where better?

As for Uber Eats, not exactly sure how they have theirs set up?

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 09:45 PM
Rookie

I've used skip the dishes lots. my favorite part is tracking the delivery driver on GPS. That's the future, knowing when your food is about to turn onto your street. With old school delivery you sit there hungry never knowing when your food is coming.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-24, 01:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
I haven't used either of these services, but I'd suspect that as I've found, take-out menus are often a stripped down version of the full menu.

Also, many "dishes" don't survive well in a take out environment. Left sitting, or sitting in an enclosed container will make some meals unpalatable in short order.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Last edited by CamDAB; 2017-11-24 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Grammer

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-25, 09:00 AM

Perfect answer Cameron. Why risk sending out dish's that do not travel well and get a bad response..

I have used a couple of apps in the UK and the ones I used offer about 80 - 90% of the full menu.

One Chinese Take-Away that I used included the printed list of my order but in mandarin(?) along with the prices. These prices were lower than I had paid. The following day I called into the same Take-Away and got a Menu. It too had the lower prices on it.

I contacted the app people (Just Eat) and they asked for proof of my complaint, which I sent. Within 20 minutes I was refunded 3 times the difference of the price plus extra for compensation. Wow, that just blew me away.

So not sure how Skip The Dishes operates but might be worth keeping an eye on pricing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-26, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Depending on the cost of your meal, its anywhere from $10 & up credit towards your next meal.When you order your next meal it auto matically reduces youir cost towards your next meal depend on the cost.

IE if you got $50 dollars credit iand your meal is $30 it deducts $30 and your still left with $20 credit towards your next meal.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-26, 12:27 PM

That sucks. It forces you to use the service again, which is just plain wrong. I got a credit back onto my plastic.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-27, 10:42 AM

I haven't used Skip the Dishes, but they have been handing out gift cards and promo codes like crazy around Hamilton when I've gone shopping or to events there. I don't live in Hamilton, but I'm sure the codes are on various websites to get a good deal to try them.

I find it odd they advertise some restaurants that already have delivery as one of their partners - why would I use Skip the Dishes to order Swiss Chalet when I can just get them to deliver directly?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-27, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
why would I use Skip the Dishes to order Swiss Chalet when I can just get them to deliver directly?
Reason I was told was that not all establishments can take 'plastic' at the door, or even over the phone. So using Skip the Dishes, the customer get to pay by 'plastic' and the restaurant has none of the hassle, well apart from the 2% or whatever.

Could it also increase sales slightly, for the same reason? Not sure.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-27, 01:35 PM

It looks like all the Cara restaurants are part of Skip the Dishes - just got a coupon flyer in the mail from Harvey's advertising them one half a page and that you can now get Harvey's delivered.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-27, 02:00 PM

Restaurants that offer home delivery and also use Skip... they might be hoping that Skip will gain in popularity enough so that they can eliminate the cost of hiring their own delivery employees.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 12:17 PM

In my experience, the delivery fee is higher with Skip The Dishes, compared to the restaurants that also offer their own home delivery.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 09:28 PM
Premium Supporter

I was inside a McDonald's this morning, waiting on my breakfast order, and could not help but notice an UberEATS driver, with her phone out, apparently trying to find an address to make a McDonald's food delivery.

Two McDonald's employees were trying to help her on where she was to go but she seemed to be completely lost. After about five minutes the driver wandered out of the restaurant, seemingly dazed, with a grocery-bag-sized McDonald's order.

A few minutes later the UberEATS driver came back and handed the order to a McDonald's employee who tossed it on a counter and then yelled at someone else at the cash register "They cancelled the order!".

So, that particular UberEats/McDonald's delivery did not go very well.
Inglewood and Allan B like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 11:14 AM

@Exid0r - your story gave me flashbacks!

I spent a year as a teenager delivering pizzas. It was bad enough to be employed by the restaurant offering the delivery service - couldn't imagine being a "private contractor" in between the restaurant and the customer.

Being a delivery driver for either Uber Eats or Skip the Dishes must be a nightmare sometimes - wrong orders, bad food, people ripping you off at the door, drunks, kids pulling pranks, etc.

The worst was delivering to hotels - you never knew if it was some nice business person on a business trip that would be giving you a generous tip and no hassle, or some weirdo fussing to find payment and trying to get you to hang out and participate in activities with them...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-12-09, 09:15 PM
Rookie

I live north of Orillia Ontario and none of these are available up here. One thing I miss about living in Toronto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.