Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Opinion: Blu-ray wins, no war

18K views 129 replies 43 participants last post by  Kevin270 
#1 ·
Editorial from Video Business' editor-and-chief and home entertainment editor for Variety.

Blu-ray wins, no war

Even top studio executives at the nearly lame-duck HD DVD camp are quietly conceding the victory to Blu-ray.
Gary

#127 ·
MonoPrice duty

The duty charged will be payable by you when you receive your merchandise. (either at your door or most likely at your local Post Office)

That is if there is any duty due. My first order came duty owing at the Post Office.

The second order came (bless them) with a funky customs declaration that showed a value of $17. Actual value @ $150 U.S. (did I say bless them?)

Also: first order- 2 weeks to deliver (!??!).......second order-super pronto fast, 3 days !

I suppose, LOW declared value = NO duty owing = fast delivery.

#128 ·
Blu-ray wins, no war

The opinion of this fellow Hettrick from the link in post #1 sounds an awful lot like gossip to me.
Isn't Variety a Hollywood rag a la "I don't care what they write about me as long as they spell my name right." ?

I find the comments in this forum to be better informed than this man's opinion.

For what little it's worth, I think HD DVD will prevail in the short term simply because consumers will find it easier to identify with the name.

#129 ·
timbo said:
The opinion of this fellow Hettrick from the link in post #1 sounds an awful lot like gossip to me.
Isn't Variety a Hollywood rag a la "I don't care what they write about me as long as they spell my name right." ?

I find the comments in this forum to be better informed than this man's opinion.

For what little it's worth, I think HD DVD will prevail in the short term simply because consumers will find it easier to identify with the name.
... and with the price for the player!

#130 ·
Keep in mind that due to the "Free Trade Agreement", there is no duty to be charged on electronics or electronic equipment that was manufactured in the US. If the cables were manufactured elsewhere, then yes there would be duty. Often times the Custom's department will just slap duty on everything, include stuff that is supposed to be excluded, so watch out for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.