orientation of soundbar subwoofer - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-03-15, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

orientation of soundbar subwoofer

I have a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer.
I want to put it on it's side on a shelf.
The Samsung rep said I can but I question if they really know. :-)
I don't think is only for very low sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Subwoofers should never be placed on a shelf. They need to be on the floor. Place it so that it is not in a corner. Other than that, there are not a lot of rules unless you are looking for audiophile level perfection. It can be almost anywhere in the room.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-03-16, 09:35 PM
Premium Supporter

If possible, a subwoofer should go where the room dictates it should go. Do a sub crawl to find the two or three locations that offer the best overall output at the main listening position (MLP) and place the sub in the location that works best for you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-04-26, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Try a few different positions to find what sounds best from your seat. A corner position often amplifies the sound quite a bit which is good if you want more output in the room while having less bass noise in other areas of the house where people might be sleeping.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-04-26, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Corner positions for a subwoofer can be problematic and can cause unnatural peaks due to resonances with equidistant walls. It's best to place the sub at different distances from all walls. That includes opposite walls and the ceiling. Peaks cause by resonances can be used to optimize the sound but performing a mathematical analysis may be going overboard. Common sense also says to avoid equal distances from the nearest two walls and avoid equal distances between any wall, ceiling and opposite wall. If possible, avoid a distance from any wall that would reinforce the subs own internal resonance. And place it on the floor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in