Newbie needs help with cutting the cord - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-02-21, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Newbie needs help with cutting the cord

Please by gentle as I'm a newbie on here and not very tech savvy...

I'm attempting to cut the cord and set up IPTV at home with PVR capabilities. Is it even possible to record from an IPTV provider? I think I have read that this can be done through Kodi? My goal is to have something high quality, very reliable and make this as user friendly as possible so that my wife will not miss cable AND record shows for her and my kids.

Currently I have an android box (Nvidia shield) and am currently trying out an IPTV provider (Epicstream), but I am willing to try out other IPTV providers if they have a very user friendly interface AND are reliable.

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-02-21, 09:56 PM
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-02-21, 11:34 PM
Some legitimate IPTV providers provide cloud recording or local recording on a proprietary Android box. Not sure how well this works but it will basically work like a cable TV service. Internet service must be purchased from the same company. Some examples of legitimate IPTV providers are VMedia, Zazeen and Netfox. There are new ones being announced or launched occasionally.

If the IPTV service is directly streaming mainstream network or specialty channel shows over your existing internet connection and is provided through a customized Kodi release or a third party Kodi add-on then it could be illegal. Kodi itself is not illegal and there are some legitimate sources of programming through official Kodi add-ons. If a service sounds too good to be true, it's probably illegal. 1100 channels for $15/mo, as in the above mentioned service, is not a realistic price for a legitimate IPTV service.

Another option is OTA TV. Recorded OTA TV can be played back using a good Android streaming box. It usually requires a PC to do the recording. Check out the OTA forum for more information. Some of it can get quite technical though. The Nvidia Shield is a very good box for streaming and should handle just about any content including OTA. Also check out services such as Netflix, CraveTV and Amazon Prime TV. The Nvidia Shield should have apps for those services and others.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-02-22, 02:41 PM
Enter the great Holl_Ands- under normal circumstances. But i can field this one. Look for the FF4 or FF6 antenna- google is your friend. However this is not the forum for this Kodi is an insult to what these engineers do here- correct me if i’m out of bounds stampeder or 300?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-02-22, 02:59 PM
I forgot to mention that OTA TV can be watched live using a network enabled TV tuner, such as the HD Homerun, an OTA antenna and the provided Android app. This should work well with the Nvidia Shield.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-02-22, 03:46 PM
I hopefully can add and/or support the advice given by others.

I cut the cord about 14 months ago and couldn't be happier with that decision.

I have cut my costs by more than 50% and I have lots of quality choice to choose from.

First, I would suggest that an adjustment and attitude change will make the transition easier.

IPTV is a replacement (for now, to cable and satellite services) and it could improve from a content and cost perspective.

I didn't go for it because I felt it wasn't much of an improvement from a satellite service I had.

So, to start, here's what I did .....

Bought 2 over the air antennas (OTA) from Amazon, for about $30.00 each - they are about 12 * 16 inches and as flat as a plastic binder cover. They have a range of 40 miles and can be placed (taped or aimed) at a window. The location will determine the number of channels you can get for FREE. ( I got 13 !)

Next, I discovered that there is an incredible amount of FREE content available on YouTube. That includes concerts and movies and documentaries etc ....

I searched for FREE streaming services and found several that actually offer some movies and some TV shows. The content might be older or dated, but that's where the attitude change has to begin to click in. Forget the 'old' and discover the 'new.

I also have 3 paid subscriptions one for $7.99 (Crave), one for 79.00 / year (Amazon Prime) and an American service I don't want to name, but it is legal and has PVRs (about 40.00 / mnth). All of these options are without a contract - they are month to month and the prices have not changed since I joined any of them.

I bought a 'box' over a year ago and never used it after my first taste of that 'darker side' of viewing. It struck me as a security threat and some of the content was clearly 'pirated' - so much for that .....

Another point I'd like to make is that you can use a laptop / notebook / tablet as a streaming device. With the 'PC' option(s), you can send the screen output to a flat screen TV of your choice by using an HDMI cable.

Anyway, I hope that you see that all newbies had to start somewhere. My last point is that it will be different for 'child' content than you are accustomed to (cartoons ? educational stuff ?), but there's tons of content for kids too !

Search and you will find !

Hopefully, this is helpful. I can tell you one thing - many people I've spoken to have taken the leap and not one regrets it.

Cable and satellite services are dying a predictable death. You will pay too much for these services - time will force them out of business.

Move on now and join the ever growing group of cord cutters. Remember that today's most recent generations have cut the cord - in fact many never went there - they didn't and don't subscribe to the 'old' stuff.

The entire multi media industry is being turned upside down - rapid change is around the corner.

I wish you well .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.