Move to 4K and 7:1 Now or later - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By reidw

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Move to 4K and 7:1 Now or later

I am just finishing up on the basement reno project. I am comtemplating some upgrades. Should I do them now or wait 6 months and grab new stuff on Black Friday?

The main listening area is 9.5 feet by 14 feet. This backs on to the basement kitchenette which 9.5 feet by 12 feet.

Current equipment is Panasonic 60 inch plasma, Paradigm Monitor 9, CC350, ADP 190. Panasonic Blu-Ray and the NAD T747 receiver. Apple TV 4K has just been purchased.

Is it worth putting in a 7:2 receiver and a 4K OLED set. Main viewing is Netflix, Amazon Prime and Formula 1. Setp is also for listening to CDs.

One day I am gung ho about upgrading and the next day I say it is nor worth it.
Torn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 01:07 PM

I was in the same boat few months ago (Black Friday). Did it. Not worth it (esp audio). 4K content is still well under 10-15% of my viewing (Netflix, Amazon). F1 will not be in 4K this season on TSN. You end up watching things that you would not watch otherwise, just because they are in 4K/HDR. Once again, not worth it at the moment. Keep saving.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Install wiring for the future. That means HDMI 2.1 and at least 9.2 speakers including Amos or whatever. The components can be upgraded later.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 11:35 PM
Veteran

If you're going to include Atmos or DTS:X in your new setup I recommend enough amps. for 4 ATMOS speakers, so 5.1.4 at the least. Two ATMOS speakers at the front especially if they are not ceiling mounted just aren't worth anything.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool Sanity prevails

After looking at the feedback I decided to put the upgrades on hold. Will wait for Black Friday for some deals. Hopefully by then there will be more 4K content to make it more worthwhile. As

I am in the last phase of construction I can't really add in additional wiring for Atmos. It is wired for 7:2 and I will stick with that. No sense going beyond that as it is a small room. Besides the spouse thinks I am creating a Taj Mahal in the basement. A HDMI 2.0 cable was pulled through the wall conduit to support 4k. I can replace it with a 2.1 cable down the road if it is necessary.

Time to start planning for Black Friday. I will finalize my requirements for a 4K TV and receiver and put together a watch list. Maybe a good deal will be in my future.

One of the things about doing a basement reno makes you think about all of my "stuff". Physical media is disappearing now and I am not sure what to do with all of my CDs and Blu-Rays. Put them shelves like a museum or sell them off at fire sale prices.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 09:16 AM
Veteran

One thing to remember...your new OLED TV will upscale your Blu-Ray collection and make them look new again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 11:57 AM
Veteran

@pwatson : Yes, there's always the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to be considered.
Leafs13 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in