HDMI Though AVR Messed Up after Telus Install - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down HDMI Though AVR Messed Up after Telus Install

I have all my devices connected through my AR via HDMI. And then AR to TV. I just switched out a shaw box for telus box. Now things aren't working the same functionally as before. Why would this be? All the installer did was switch the HDMI cable from the shaw box to telus. And now it seems the inputs are wrong. I quite confused. Unless he connected a different HDMI cable I might have had . I guess I'll check.

And now the Telus remote seems to be messing around with input and or audio.

Before I had my receiver set to TV input. All I had to do was switch devices on. And it fed thru receiver. Now I have to fiddle around with different remotes.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:34 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. Well, check to see if the HDMI cables are connected correctly to each device and input/output.

2. The Telus remote probably needs to be programmed to properly control the various devices, the way the previous Shaw remote was. You'll need to get the programming instructions for that remote to set it up properly.

3. It sounds like you have other equipment. You should likely consider purchasing a programmable remote like a Harmony to control everything with one remote. The Harmony 650 can usually be purchased for about $50 when it's on sale.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:40 AM
s40

Is your optic remote set to Optic (Mode button on top left )? If it is set to tv then you control the tv except for the volume, which is set to the AVR so when you turn up your volume on the remote, it turns up the receiver not the tv (the installer set my remote to do that, but you can change that). My remote shuts off the tv and the Optic box, but you have to push the mode button at the top until it flashes receiver, then hit power again, it then turns off the receiver. I found with my older receiver it blocked the box from updating, so I had to use the arc input on the tv and feed everything to the tv and then to the receiver. My original box didn't do that but when I replaced my optic box with a newer model, the newer model blocked the optic box. There is a newer box than mine now and I don't know which box you have. My box is the 7150.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I actually bought a harmony remote one? I've never used it. Still in the box. I know it's my own fault. It's too bad the installer left so quick as I was having issues and on the phone with telus rep. I know the installer did something with the remote for sure.

If I have my devices going thru my AR then outputted to TV with HDMI.

But I'll check to see what's happening. Been a long day.

Thanks 57

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:43 AM
Veteran

It could also be that things like HDMI input auto-switch and CEC are not working correctly because the Telus box output is always on and does not adhere to industry standards. Most BDU boxes are totally messed up in that regard.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Hmm s40, my box is an IPV6015. I told the tech I feed everything through the AR. Thus volume is controlled via AR remote.

As far as the Telus remote goes I have hit both buttons. :/. Top left is "TV" and top right is " optik"

If I want my AR to control volume which do I push?

Thanks

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Delbert , hmmmm

It's really messy. Things are turning off sometimes turn the box on, other times turns the tv off etc. Never had an issue with shaw. And all that's been done is switching HDMI cable from shaw to Telus.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Ugh so I programmed the remote to turn on/off the telus box and my TV. But then it shuts my AR off

I still see video but no audio.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 11:09 AM
Veteran

CEC can be used to turn devices on and off as well as set inputs. It often goes by other names but it's an industry standard. (Knowing the make and model of TV and AVR would clarify that.) In simple terms, you can turn devices on/off with CEC or by using the power button. Using both will produce unpredictable results. The new Telus remote could be the the issue. Another possibility is that a change in CEC compatibility between the Shaw and Telus boxes is causing the issue.

In an ideal world, turning on a source, such as the Telus box would cause CEC to turn the other required devices on and set all the correct inputs. There would be no need to press any other buttons. Some device remotes are programmed to automatically send power codes to the other devices in the system. The Telus remote (or other universal remote being used) may be programmed that way. That will cause unpredictable results if CEC is also enabled. If so, the answer may be to turn off the automatic power commands to other devices on the Telus remote. The method for doing this should be in the remote manual. Also make sure that the remote device codes for AVR, TV, etc are correct.

Use either CEC or power commands from the remote but not both. If the recommendation above does not work, some further investigation is necessary. I would disable automatic the sending of on/off codes to other components when a device is turned on. (This is done by programming the remotes.) Then, disable CEC on all devices. Check to see how the system works. It should be necessary to manually power devices on and off plus set the correct inputs. No devices should "magically" turn on or off or change input without direct control by it's own remote or the programed button on the master remote.

The next step would be to enable CEC on the TV and A/V receiver. Then turn on CEC for each device individually and test to see if this works correctly. Note which devices work correctly. If everything works properly you are all set. If not, a workaround or other fix might be needed. Activity based remotes (such as Harmony) are a good fix for systems where CEC or a standard universal remote do not work well.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-18, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Sounds confusing but I'll try to follow these steps. What if I use a different Telus remote? My remote from the previous PVR? I'm not too technical. Remote or New PVR never came with manual. It should be online somewhere.

So frustrated. I wish the installer didn't run off so quickly. He really didn't explain anything. Or if I had questions and wait until everything was correct.

Thanks again.

PS make of TV is Panasonic TC-P58VT25

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 01:13 AM
s40

You probably have a different remote from me. My Telus remote at the top has a power button on the right and a mode button on the left with three led's in the middle which are labelled optic, tv, and aux. I have to push the mode button to go through the three modes. I turn on the tv and the box (when pointed at them both) after the optic light flashed when going through the modes, then press the power button, then I have to hit the mode button twice to get to aux which turns on the avr. When running the remote you should have the remote in the optic setting. The volume buttons are set to turn the avr up and down on all the settings, but not the tv volume (it was programmed by the telus installer to do that). If you don't have the aux on your remote then yours is different than mine and I can't help you. I seem to remember there was a discussion of the different remotes and how they work on the Telus section of this site. They said there the remotes before mine would turn all three things on when hitting the power button, but mine wouldn't turn on the avr without going to the aux setting and turning on the power there. The other thing to consider, if you get one of the devices out of sync you might try turning it on or off with it's own remote to see if they are now in sync if the optic remote will turn on all your devices at the same time. The remote has to point at all devices as if one of them is off to one side the remote wont see it and wont work on it. We should probably be discussing this in the remote section of Telus on this board.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok I'll go over to that thread and reply.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 04:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stationg View Post
Ugh so I programmed the remote to turn on/off the telus box and my TV. But then it shuts my AR off

I still see video but no audio.
So if it shuts the AR off you still see video but no audio?? Then he routed the hdmi from set top box to tv???
My sister-in-law went through a new box install with Telus and they screwed up what I had set up for her. All he had to do was plug the new box in and the hdmi onto the new box but no he really did a number.

For info I just had Shaw replace my gateway for a newer model and add 3 new portals replacing 2 and the guy did not leave until all was proven to work the way it used to, including formatting an external drive. I call that service.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 09:49 AM
Veteran

Quote:
They said there the remotes before mine would turn all three things on when hitting the power button, but mine wouldn't turn on the avr without going to the aux setting and turning on the power there.
That behavior can usually be programmed to be on or off. If both CEC and the remote tries to turn devices on or off it will set up a classic conflict scenario with unpredictable results.

Quote:
so I programmed the remote to turn on/off the telus box and my TV. But then it shuts my AR off
It's probably turning the AVR on and off as well. The AVR power state is out of sync with the other devices. The solution is to turn the AVR on by itself when this happens. Then power for all devices should be in sync. In this case, where power for all devices is being controlled by the remote, HDMI CEC should be turned off on all devices.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Hmm what I do now and I think works. I turn on the TV/Telus box with the remote. Wait a few seconds and use my Pioneer remote to turn the AR on.

I still think something isn't right. I'll call Telus and have them walk me thru it. To get things right.

At least now it seems somewhat manageable for the time being.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.