HDMI Cable to RCA Cable Conversion? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question HDMI Cable to RCA Cable Conversion?

I'm looking for a HDMI plug on one end and a RCA Cable on the other End(Audio & Video -Red,White,Yellow)I bough one of these "smart boxes' but the tv I want to hook it up to doesn't have HDMI conection.So I need a cable or "conversion box" to do it. Anyone know a make or where to get one?

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 06:57 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Search the web for "HDMI to Composite Converter". Lots available. An adaptor will not work, you need a converter since HDMI is digital and Composite is analogue.

What device do you have that doesn't have a composite (and analogue audio) output? You do realize that composite can only carry SD (480i) signals, not HD.

FAQ - Cables & Connections

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 07:04 PM
Veteran

If the TV with the RCAs is destined for HD/ YPbPr, Newegg, amazon ebay and others sell such a cable...google hdmi to component cable.
But like 57 said, probably gonna need some sort of adapter to convert it to analog / YPbPr. Should be able to find something with some
shopping.

HTML Code:
Please Note: To use this cable, your display  must be a high definition display. The cable doesn't contain the chip to  convert digital signals to analog signals, it only work with devices  that can already convert digital signals to analog signals. 
A converter is needed to be able to use this cable with PS3, Xbox 360 and Sky HD 
 HDMI  to component video, Audio AV Cable. High speed transfer signal.  High-definition sound and clear image. Compatible with TV, DVD,  Computers etc. 
 Perfect for PC, Satellite TV, HDTV, RGB Component YPrPb video and most LCD Projectors 
 Contents
 1 x Gold Plated HDMI to 5 RCA Component AV Cable - 1.5m

SBGH/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question

57 & majortom

Will this box work for what I want to do?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cirago-HD...460#about-item

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 07:19 PM
Veteran

that one looks like it is CVBS output, Composite Video Blanking & Sync.
It will produce a SD picture, no HD.

Most TVs these days have YPbPR (Red, Blue, Green RCA inputs) which will produce an HD Picture. Check if yours does. If so, then that device is probably not what I'd be looking for..

If I wanted an HD picture, I'd be looking for an hdmi to YPbPr converter of some sort.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 07:24 PM
Veteran

For HD, something like this may do it. Says it just passes resolution through,
no scaling.. I have no experience with such a device to say what will best for you though.

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRV.../dp/B00J22LGYG

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question

Its a older Sony VEGA TV SD no HD, so I'm assuming this will work no?

Looked it does have what you said, but have the DVD player pluged into that input. I'm not looking for HD just to get the channels off the box.All I know is it has tv channels, KOBI, You Tube, Netflex and some other stuff I'm not sure what it is. The box says X96.I'm not that knowledge on this kind of stuff. Don't recall what make(server) I payed $25 for the tech to set it up for me. He asked if I had unlimited internet I said no. He said I should getunlimited, if was going to use it a lot other wise I be going over myb 250GB/Month(which previous had before getting unlimited).

Now wether he was joking about going over my 250 GB limited that I don't know only going by what he said.

Last edited by MCIBUS; 2017-04-20 at 07:59 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 08:40 PM
Veteran

If SD then something like you posted should work..
Personally though, I know it's not related to your question, but I would probably be more inclined to spend a few bucks on a 1/2 way decent new TV that either had HDMI already, or at least had yPbPr HD inputs than more gadgets. Should be able to find something...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 09:51 PM
Veteran

I tend to agree. Don't know what size the existing TV is but I see a 24" LCD TV at Mallwart for CAD$148. By the time exchange and shipping are accounted for, that US$50 adapter is going to cost about CAD$100. Never mind that an LCD TV is HD and is going to save on electricity when compared to a CRT.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 08:41 AM

All in all the time/effort for that TV, i agree may not be worth it.

From the sounds of it.. its an Android Box of some form.

Even using the adapter.. you will be downscaling stuff from HD to SD.. with the quality loss, etc.. may be difficult to use the menus, etc.

Then the cost for the adapter, etc.. may be a lesson in frustration.. for not much reward.

(as for the USAGE Thing.. that really comes down to how much you use it. If it was used as your ONLY tv watching source, and watched a lot? Yes, could go over your usage possibly)

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 05:19 PM
Veteran

Computer screens (such as Windows or Android) tend to look very bad on an interlaced TV. There is lots of flicker due to the hard edges on windows, menus, etc. In my experience, a 480i computer display can be almost unusable. 1280x720p is probably the best resolution on a smaller TV screen. 1920x1080p is better on a large screen.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Cool

Well decide too just get a new HDTV.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-24, 08:25 AM

If you dont want to go overboard.. even a simple one can be relatively unexpensive

Was at my local Zhers getting groceries yesterday... they have a Haier, 43" for like $250

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-04-24, 02:05 PM
Veteran

Another thing to note: If your in the market for one of those "Smart Boxes" do some research ahead of time. My Brother in-law bought one which not only had HDMI output, but it also had Composite output for older TV sets. His even supported the PAL system too. But yeah if you did the appropriate research and knew your TV was non HD, when you were shopping for the "Smart" tv box, you would have bought the model which is compatible with your TV set, you would not only save time but save frustration too.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.