Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Recommendation for in ceiling speakers

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  thebigman65 
#1 ·
Hey All, I am doing a small reno on the man cave. Had a bit of a flood and since i had to replace all the flooring and some drywall anyway, I am going to go for it. I will be removing the ceiling, insulating it and adding 2 layers of drywall. The main issue I have right now is that i am changing the orientation of where my TV is and the seating area. under this new layout, the seating will be basically up against a wall, so I cannot have speaker behind me. My thought is to install some in ceiling speaking, over top of the seating area. What speakers would you all recommend? If you don't want to endorse a specific brand, then what should I look for? 6" or 8"?, etc.

TIA!

#2 ·
Forgot to mention that i have all Energy speakers now.....the rear ones are XL 15's bookshelf speakers I think....so maybe a good timber match for those?

#3 ·
Timber matching in these forums gets people excited. You'll have pros and cons galore.

I went with Yamaha NS-IC600WH (4 of them) to add to my AMOS setup. So far, I am really pleased with it. I didn't pay attention to timber as my receiver does the fine tuning. Quite frankly, when we watch a movie in ATMOS, my ears don't hear the mis-match of speakers if there is any to be heard. We have Klipsch for surrounds and center, and Paradigm for the left and right. Cerwin Vega with Panasonic replacement subwoofer inside. Very happy of the setup.

#5 ·
Recommendation for in ceiling speakers
Don't do it. Recessed speakers totally defeat the dual layer of drywall. Low profile wall mounted speakers will work out better.

Timbre matching for surrounds is not as important as the front speakers. However, a severe timbre mismatch should be avoided because it can create issues with sound placement. One way to achieve timbre matching is to look at speaker frequency response graphs. The closer the graphs match, the better the timbre match will be.

#6 ·
I am not too worried about that. i am placing 6" of Roxul safe and sound between the speaker and the floor above and I can add some resilient channel and drywall inside the joist space first. Sound good?

I ended up going with Polk 6" 2 way speaker. if they don't sound good I can always return them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.