Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

no center channel with some broadcasts

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
While exploring my options from suggestions in another recent thread, I have noticed something else I was never aware of: I am not receiving center channel audio from a dozen cable channels even though all speakers are active on the display of my AVR. Is this normal or do I have another puzzle to sort out?
Thanks again for any replies!

#3 ·
As stated above, most of the SD channels are DD2.0 and you'll need to invoke one of the surround modes (like DPLII). I assume you've probably already done that. Some of the HD channels (CBC, CBC affiliates) broadcast in DD5.1, however, they only send audio out the LF & RF channels for programming that originated in DD2.0 and there's nothing to do about this situation really - similar to the MCPCM issue on your PC discussed earlier. So, it's "normal", nothing you're doing wrong. See the following FAQ, Note 1:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

Edit - There may be other channels that send out "improperly encoded DD5.1" (as I call it), but CBC is the one I know best. When CBC is airing a programme that originated in DD5.1, then you'll get dialogue out the centre channel as well as surround sound out the backs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.