Help needed with getting Dolby digital sound out of polk audio iht 6000 surround - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Help needed with getting Dolby digital sound out of polk audio iht 6000 surround

Hello All,

Following is the setup I have and I am unable to get dolby digital sound from my blu-ray player

Sony EX710 LED TV
Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray player
Polk Audio IHT 6000 surround bar
Bell 6131 satellite receiver

same issue also on Sony NX810 3D LED tv with the same setup

I have contacted sony, bell and polk but could not get it resolved and seems like it might not be possible to get dolby digital from a blu-ray unless i replace iht 6000 or get a/v receiver

So I am hoping I am wrong and someone can help me here without me spending any more money and get it working with the exisiting equipment.

Following is the way the devices are connected.

Satellite receiver to tv via HDMI
TV to IHT 6000 via optical (speaker out on tv)
Blu-ray to TV via HDMI

I do get dolby digital from Satellite receiver on HD channels, I assume SD channels can not relay dolby digital?

I am unable to get dolby digital from my blu-ray - on iht6000 receiver the light remains blue which means PCM or analogue source received

I am expecting it to be green as if iht6000 shows steady green it means Dolby digital source received and is being decoded.

I have tried playing with the settings on the tv and the blu-ray player but with no luck.

Anybody has a iht 6000 surroundbar hooked up to their blu-ray player via their tv and able to get dolby digital?

Please share your setup(settings) if got it working or if someone has any other ideas that I can try to get dolby digital sound.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 05:43 PM

From what i could see you should have your optical cable from your sony BR going to the bar ! Did you try that option ???
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

No I have not tried that, that is good point.

I will try it but would I not then loose dolby digitial sound from my satellite receiver? Because there is only one optical out on IHT 6000 and only 1 on audio out option on the tv.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 06:24 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
As discussed in the following FAQ, most TVs will not pass DD5.1 signal out the optical port from incoming sources (read the bolded part). You typically need to connect the device(s) directly to the AVR, or in this case, the sound bar. You say you are getting DD from the Sat, perhaps you've simply got the audio settings in the BD player incorrect - they should be set for bitstream/raw or something similar. Also, the TV may not be capable of handling "audiophile" (HD) audio - make sure you're sending DD5.1 and not uncompressed audio like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA.

With a sound bar, there will typically only be a minor difference anyway. If you don't have two digital inputs, then you may wish to consider an external optical switch, or get an AVR. TVs are typically not designed to be used as "switches", although some can work that way. You could sacrifice DD on one of the devices? The feedback from other people with TVs would be useless unless they have the identical make/model.

FAQ - What's Available in DD5.1 DD5.1 FAQ.

Please see the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-12-15, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question

Having a TOSLINK optical switch is a very good idea.

Would like to know if anyone knows optical switch that comes with a remote (or auto switch) and is not more than $30 as the cheapest one I can find with the remote is around CDN $65
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-12-28, 06:12 AM
Rookie

I have a iht6000 with 2 bell 6131 receivers and a ps3. I am having similar issues...although none of my components dolby sound.

i am looking for an toslink digital optical auto switcher.

Have you decided on one? Which ones are you looking at? Although it is expensive, the following one seems to be a good one for me:

http://www.smarthome.com/777077/Audi...witcher/p.aspx

You mentioned you found one for about 65 cdn...do you have the link? Do you know of any other options?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.