Another major reason why Blu-ray is suffering - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Another major reason why Blu-ray is suffering

From a Sony Canada press release issued today
Quote:
Sony of Canada Ltd. today unveiled the VAIO NW notebook-- a new line of PCs that provide a powerful high-definition experience priced at $899.99 for the standard model and $1,199.99 equipped with Blu-ray Disc technology.
Two notes:
  • How does the $899 NW notebook provide "a powerful high-definition experience" when it has no Blu-ray optical drive.
  • $300 extra for the version with a BR optical drive?

From what I read, the only difference is the BR drive. As long as Sony is charging a $300 premium who is going to buy a BR equipped laptop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 12:11 PM

Wow, when I ordered my new laptop from dell in January, it was 150 option for bluray. I opted for it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 12:24 PM

Greetings

Lots of mkv and mp4 and other HD files out there that don't need a BD player for HD playback.

(Many are rips of BDs ... oh the irony)

regards

Michael @ TLVExperience
ISF/THX Video Systems Instructor

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Lots of mkv and mp4 and other HD files out there that don't need a BD player for HD playback.

(Many are rips of BDs ... oh the irony)
My tongues was a bit in my cheek when I asked the question (hence why I quoted the Sony line)

The truth is that for the general public, HD will be Blu-ray so saying both models "provide a powerful high-definition experience" is silly. If they had said "upgrade to BR disc for a powerful high-definition experience" then it would have been a bit more on target.

What really surprises me is a $300 upcharge for BR? Sony (and other laptop providers) needs to bring that difference down to $50 or so if they want the install base to grow significantly.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 01:19 PM
Veteran

I agree the add-on price for Blu-Ray seems out of whack. As far as the HD comment goes, they could also be referring to HD video from one of their fancy camcorders!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 02:45 PM
U

Hmm...

Quote:
Sony have announced a new VAIO laptop, the NW-series, packing a 15.5-inch WXGA XBRITE display, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 processor and an optional Blu-ray drive. The Sony VAIO NW is also being priced competitively: the standard model is $800, while adding Blu-ray to that is just $80 more.
Source...

Americans get BD for $80 but Canadians have to shell out $300? Something's wrong here.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 04:45 PM

No, nothing is wrong. Canadian marketers do this all the time. Well knows that Canadians accept higher prices that those down south. Dont buy, they will change. Cross boaders shop. Im in Vegas next week, and not just for hte gambling.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 10:18 PM

my dell inspiron 1526 came with a BD player and its was only $795 all in
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-25, 02:48 AM

LOL oh one has to love Sony...well I have a panel that plays a number of .avi MP4 vro/vob/MPG2 files etc. I download what I want to watch or rip them. I will not pay the crazy prices from Sony....better yet I think other manufacturers will simply do as was suggested by others, a $50.00 hit I would definitely do.

I feel the USB/playback is here and will only get better and better!!!......

Blu-ray is going to die a slow death!!!!LOL
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-25, 09:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
[*]How does the $899 NW notebook provide "a powerful high-definition experience" when it has no Blu-ray optical drive.
You can rip the BD or HD-DVD movies and play them on the laptop. That is what I do with my ASUS 17" laptop, and it works real fine!

Also, mkv files are hidef, and they can be played using DivX or CCCP, but I think this was already mentioned....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-25, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

rfielder, discussed already, see post #3 and #4.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-06-27, 12:02 PM

Ok, lets use some honesty here. Nothing Sony makes is ever priced realistically. You are usually paying for name. If your moniker can demand a high price, you try and get that price.

Personally, I have always found Sony computers to be wayyyy overpriced for what they are. Since most of the parts are not made by them, I find it even more laughable that they charge, at one time, obnoxious.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Received an email from Sony yesterday. First time I have ever seen Sony Canada send out a follow-up to a press release announcing new pricing.

Quote:
Please note that the pricing for the VAIO« NW series notebook has been revised to $899.99 for the standard model and $1,099.99 for the model equipped with Blu-ray Disc™ technology.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 01:36 PM

heh a little better I guess. Should toss in a movie or two to make it a sale.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 07:06 PM
U

I got the same e-mail... I wonder if many people e-mailed them to let them know Canucks were getting shafted. In any case, it's better but $200 is still quite a bit more than $80, even considering the exchange rates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.