Gas Fireplace Problems - Won't Light or Stay Lit - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 02:39 PM
Veteran

that should do it, the big challenge is getting the pilot assembly apart..

compressed air will do wonders

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 06:56 PM
Rookie

TGK26 - thank you so SO MUCH! It's fixed!

Instead of trying to get the pilot out, I decided to cheat: I loosened the nut on the other end of the gas line tubing that connects to the valve. Once off, I put the little straw from the compressed air in the end of it, and blew back out towards the pilot. About 4 or 5 sprays, reassembled it and just like that, the pilot flame was blue and strong. It's been running for an hour now.

Just in time for the snowstorm!

I and my family are indebted, thank you!!!
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 07:19 PM
Veteran

great to hear,,,,, just one last step though.... Mix up some soapy water and with a brush, brush that brass connection entering the gas vavle safety first!

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 10:23 AM
Rookie

I hate to bring up old threads but I am experiencing problems with my piolt light as well. When I hold the knob in I get a stong blue flame....hold it for at least 2 mins and it is glowing a bright stong red but as soon as I let go it goes out....thoughts?

Thanks,
Dennis
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 04:04 PM
Rookie

Pilot/main goes out after 10 minutes

Hi,

Sorry for bringing this post to life again. My problem is a little different as I have no problem making the pilot stay lit. But unfortunately the fireplace turns itself off after about 10-20 minutes, pilot and all. I have measured the voltage and with the pilot ON it sits around 40mV and while the fireplace is on, the voltage is around 110mV. Thoughts?
post #51 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 10:22 PM
Veteran

im not sure of your readings or where your taking them from. But a few things to check are draft. is it drafting properly, i unit that has venting issue can trip flue spill switch after some time running. Voltage drop is another thing. IF you have loose connections in the circuit or a poor switch you can have power drop out. Does yours have a power pile or thermocouple or both? Does it have a mercury switch(these go bad all the time and will drop a pilot out)

Tuff to give much more without a make and model number. But bottom line is you should have a licensed gas fitter in to diagnose the issue.

post #52 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 10:39 PM
Rookie

Thanks for responding.

I'm measuring the voltage where the two leads from the thermocouple/power pile are connected to the valve/regulator. But the voltage changed the last time I turned the fireplace on to about 200mV during instead of the earlier 110mV! I wonder if my thermocouple/power pile has had it.
I checked the vent but it doesn't seem to be blocked. I have a wall switch as on/off and I checked if this could be the problem as somebody earlier had stated, but both the main burner (and the pilot) went off after being on for about 10 minutes even though I shorted the leads and bypassed the switch.

No Mercury switch.

I'll probably call a service guy/girl tomorrow, but was just curious if there was something that I might have been able to do before paying for some expert help.

Thanks for a good forum.

Model: Econo Plus 36DV Serial # 9307126
post #53 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 10:44 PM
Veteran

you could try cleaning the pilot to boost the voltage. You have a powerpile system(and open test would give you 500-750mv)(open test is no load just pos and neg wire)

If there is no thermocouple as well(coper line screwing into the gas vavle) you probably have an older model.

With a power pile only system every connection is a potential voltage drop, I have seen system where i have removed as many as 6 un-nessary connections in the wiring... Anyway a dirty pilot will reduce the power output of the power pile. So that would be step one. A new powerpile would be the next step if its not putting out what its rated for.

post #54 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 11:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks,

I'm looking at the schematics on the starting instructions and it looks like I have a Power Pile but no thermocouple. The unit is about 18 years old. The pilot is very strong and I have cleaned the power pile from soot (?). Can I still buy these power piles and can I make the change myself? If it's the valve I don't want to mess with it.

How do I perform an open test? Do I hold a lighter to the power pile while measuring the voltage?

Edit: I just tested the two leads while the pilot was on and I'm getting just under 400mV.
post #55 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 11:05 PM
Veteran

disconnect the power pile from the vavle, connect your voltmeter to each power lead. light the pilot and hold thepilot button in for about a minute or two till you get your max reading..

Yes you can still buy powerpiles. Local HVAC wholesalers have them. Some are easy to change some are a SOB!

post #56 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 11:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks again. I got 580mV.

I don't know if it means anything, but after hooking it up again and measuring the voltage while the main burner is actually on, the voltage drops to about 110mV. Is this still enough to keep it going or has it dropped too much?

Edit: After about 10 minutes the voltage dropped to 95mV and the whole thing shut off. I re-lit the fireplace right away and the voltage stabilized at about 117mV for about 20 minutes, but when it dropped to 102mV the main and pilot both shut off. It looks like the voltage is dropping throughout the time the fireplace is lit. Is this normal or can it be the power pile? I don't know if a power pile just goes dead, or if it actually gets weaker and weaker. I can't see anything that would make me believe there is a short somewhere "draining" the voltage. Any last thoughts before I call the gas guys?

Par

Last edited by parnoren; 2010-11-08 at 12:05 AM.
post #57 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 02:15 PM
Rookie

Update:
I changed the Power Pile and I'm crossing my fingers. The voltage while running is now around 300mV which is much higher then before. It's been 30 minutes and the fireplace is still on. Thank you so much for helping me save some money while learning a lot about power piles etc.

Last question: I removed some orange silicon where the leads go through the fire box in the bottom of the fireplace. Is this a special silicon for fireplaces or can I use any type? Do I need it so CO doesn't leak into the room?
post #58 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Sounds good closed reading of around half the open reading is good. The previous reading was to low.

High temp rtv silicone should be used to prevent pilot flame distortion or spillage into room

post #59 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 02:41 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for all the help!
post #60 of 94 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 03:53 PM

my daughter was having the shut down after a bit of time with hers in the place she just bought. The manual pointed to the high limit switch due to poor draft. I checked it out sat. and she had good draft so I checked the limit switch. I pulled wires off and checked that it was closed. What I found was the plastic like insulated part was loose in the metal housing and it would drop down. When it did the connector tabs could touch the metal frame and I expect grounded out the circuit so the valve solenoids would loose the current. I just jammed it up for then and it ran all day and i was there today and the pilot was still on. I was there to babysit the house while her new furnace was being installed. I noticed on the old one it had a similar switch to the fireplace but the installer didn't think it would be the same part so I didn't pull it off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.