Trickle Charger Advice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-10, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Trickle Charger Advice

I am considering purchasing a trickle charger for my car battery.

My car sits in the garage most of the time and I'd like to keep the battery fully charged by plugging it into a house outlet.
(I'm not referring to a standalone charger that boosts your battery if it dies, or a charger for which you are swapping two batteries in and out of the car. I'd like to actually have it connected to the car battery all the time the car is not in use.)

Any recommendations? Would popping into the local Canadian Tire store hook me up with a decent device? Are they all about the same?

All advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 12:30 AM
Veteran

It sounds like what you want is the "Battery Tender Junior, 0.75A Maintainer" from Canadian Tire. It seems a bit overpriced for what it is. There may be similar items available elsewhere for a better price.

Another option would be to get a regular battery charger that has an automatic maintenance mode. A charger that has an quick and easy connect/disconnect feature might be a good idea if the car needs to be used on short notice or the battery is difficult to access.
The_Penguin likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 03:46 AM
Veteran

Deltran Battery Tender JR pops up in many review articles...although it isn't the least expensive:
https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000CITK8S
Frequently Asked Questions - Products | Deltran Battery Tender

BatteryMinder also pops up in several reviews....note that for about the same price, they add the useful "DeSULFATOR" function to significantly extend battery lifetime:
BatteryMINDer - Wholesale and Retail
For some reason, the prices become crazy expensive on amazon.ca, so check other sources....or a trip across the Border....

Other, lower cost alternatives are found via links on this webpage:
https://www.amazon.ca/MOTOPOWER-Auto.../dp/B071G68GTD
https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-BM1S-B.../dp/B06XXG4YT2
https://www.amazon.ca/Morange-MBC010.../dp/B010NRKERI
https://www.amazon.ca/MOTOPOWER-Auto.../dp/B072JZFY2N

Battery-Web.com - Battery Charger/Maintainer, Which is the best? [COMPARISONS]

FYI: I decided the fol. lightweight although somewhat larger Multi-Purpose Box best fit my needs, which I "hide" under my car's nearly closed hood when I need a recharge [parked overnight just outside the Garage Door]. Includes CHARGER-->TRICKLE with Full Protection, VOLT METER, DeSULFATOR and FAST JUMP features:
https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-BC15BS.../dp/B01BM51QD6

Advise from Road&Track:
How to Keep Your Car Battery Alive Through A Long, Cold Winter 2018

What is a DeSULFATOR:
Battery Desulfation Tutorial | ChargingChargers.com
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._to_prevent_it [GREAT WEBSITE!!!]
Answer To The Question: Battery Desulfators - Do They Work? - Blog -
Battery Desulfators - Fact or Fiction - Import Tuner Magazine

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands

Last edited by holl_ands; 2018-01-11 at 04:17 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 08:08 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Many years ago, I saw a charger that was meant to be mounted under the hood. It even had an outlet for a block heater and switches to turn on the charger, heater or both. I thnk it was made by Torcan.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Then there are people like me who put a couple of clips on a surplus 12v current limiting wall wart PSU and use it as a trickle charger. I don't recommend it for long term use but the price was right.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 04:25 PM

I own a NOCO Genius G3500 Smart Battery Charger and couldn't be happier.

BTW it's currently on sale a Canadian Tire.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 08:29 PM

Funny story.

I too was using a Noco Genius during the winter. I was only putting 4000km per year on the car and used the trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged. The farthest I drove was into Toronto and back from Mississauga. Last spring I sold the car. It didn't pass the safety check so I sold it ASIS. The buyer drove it to his mechanic in Brampton to get the repairs done. In the mechanic's parking lot, the car would not start. It turned out the alternator was not working but because I kept the battery fully charged, it ran for what I needed on the battery. No charge light on the dash to warn me of a problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-16, 11:39 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
A few years back I purchased a Schumacher Model: XM1-5-CA Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer at a US WalMart on sale for about $20. Does the job well. Prices in Canada are often significantly higher.

XM1-5-CA - Schumacher Electric

Even though the device "maintains" well, I also have it plugged into a wall timer that provides electricity to it for only a couple of hours each night. This keeps my battery topped up on one vehicle that is rarely used in the winter and the other vehicle that we rarely use in the summer. The indicators start off with "charging", then going to "maintain" after about an hour each night.

Most newer devices now have this circuitry. I also have a full blown charger, but I don't need it any more.

Although our vehicles are "stored" for months at a time, we drive them a few km at least once a month. This avoids the "permanent storage" requirements for vehicles that are left for months or years without driving.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-16, 12:19 PM

I have a 1985 Camaro that was my summer car, now on collector car insurance, just driven to car shows and club events in the summer. It has a grandfathered Canadian Tire Eliminator battery from when they had a lifetime warranty that's been replaced a couple of times when it failed to start the car in the spring. The last time CT tried to not honour the warranty, claiming they changed suppliers, but eventually agreed. Not wanting to go through that hassle again, I got a Deltran Battery Tender Plus that I use every winter and never had a problem with the battery again. I also bought a Battery Tender Jr. on sale at Canadian Tire for my riding mower.

The Deltran Battery Tender was the first device of its kind on the market many years ago. The difference between these and cheap trickle chargers is that they keep the battery in a floating fully charged state without boiling it dry like a trickle charger can. Now there are other brands of battery maintainers available, some cheaper than Deltran, but you'll have to do your own research to see what's best for you. The BT Plus is kind of pricey now, $94 at CT, but the BT Jr. is $50 regular price at CT. It has lower maximum amps, but if you have a regular battery charger anyway, that doesn't matter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-16, 07:15 PM
Veteran

I have four classic/collector vehicles. Those batteries get taken care of by a CTEK in the winter. The Battery Tender Jr stays connected all winter on the John Deere. I also have regular battery charger, and a big rolling shop charger/starter.

To take care of a battery, you won't get better than CTEK. Have a quick google search and you'll realize the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.