Do NOT buy Open Box OTR Microwave Ovens, such a hassle to install. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-12, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Do NOT buy Open Box OTR Microwave Ovens, such a hassle to install.

My Father-in-law recently had his Over The Range (OTR) Microwave Oven die and had to replace it. Our Family is VERY Busy because we have a few kids now and work long hours at our jobs so we wanted to do a Quick Purchase of a Microwave Oven to simply replace the existing one that died so we can continue to use our microwave oven as necessary. My Father-in-law went to Sears because it was close by, it was convenient, and we picked up an Open Box OTR Microwave Oven from Kenmore, which is Stainless Steel finish which matches the rest of his kitchen appliances. When we got it home we were not able to instal it right away because we were busy, and shortly after we gave birth to our baby. So during this time we just kept it close by in the Dining room and were going to install it when we get a free chance which seems like almost never.

Anyways some time went by and we finally managed to get some free time to look into the Microwave Oven situation. We were promised the Sales Agent would email us the manuals since it was open box, that never happened, I managed to find them myself online. I noticed that the microwave oven was missing some parts because it was open box, but the sales agent assured us that if we have trouble we can go to the Sears Parts depo and they can order us any missing parts. Well that did not go too well. I called them and gave them the model number, but the guy said no parts come up, called around to the actual oem manufacturer which is Electrolux, and they said the parts are discontinued, and can not be ordered and to try other authorized retailers, which we did, none of them have the part in stock and do not know if they can ever get it. Now we are realizing its not as easy as the sales guy said it would be and he probably said it simply to make a Sale and If I was a sales guy, I would instead be flat out honest with my customers and tell them straight up not to buy this appliance you will have a difficult time trying to find parts to install it and its not worth the headache and hassle, but that's just me, I am different than a lot of people I am honest, and trust worthy, I wish others would be like this but they are not, they are greedy and money hungry and will do anything for a sale.

All I really need are the machine screws to mount it to the top cabinet frame, I already have the vent damper I found an extra one in my house, so I just need to find the machine screws which have the same threading as the ones I need. I managed to find a bolt manufacturer which carries the thread size, tho the head of the bolt may be different, but It will cost me under $10 dollars for the bolts, and I think its worth it instead of going thru the hasle of trying to find the oem mounting kit which costs upwards of 80 dollars in some cases.

what do u guys think? just get the bolts from the place in brampton and call it a day, or take it back or exchange it or wait to find a online supplier which has the kit in stock?

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-12, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

anyways just want to add, I'm a very handy guy and yes I've checked Every Hardware store in the GTA, the bolts are a NON-STANDARD thread size and no, the home depot, lowes, rona, or other big box stores do not carry them nor do they sell the kits, i've installed stuff like this before and we already have all the holes from the previous microwave and they all line up, but one strange thing, the bolts from our old microwave are a different thread size so yes i already tried it but they're too thick and i don't want to damage the nuts. it seems like all microwave ovens from every other manufacturer use this same size bolt ive read all the manuals and they all list the bolt as the same thred size but they dont give part numbers, but the part numbers ive found online are all different but they are probably all the same in the end just different numbers for different companies, which is weird but these guys corner the market and it sucks it should not be like this

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-12, 08:43 AM
Veteran

Not to defend the sales guy at Sears, but it may be just that he/she had no clue you would have a hard time, may not have been their intent to lie to you. Reasonable assumption, as normally you SHOULD be able to get any parts that you need.

If it is just loose hardware like nuts and bolts, I would try an industrial supplier like McMaster Carr.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#

Do you know the specifications of the hardware you are looking for so you can look it up?
What is the Model Number?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-12, 01:10 PM

Where are the machine screws that held the old unit in place? If you still have them will they not fit?

Buying an open box item usually means there was a generous discount. Often these sales are "final". The onus was also on you to make sure that the item was complete with all the necessary parts.

We purchased many items at the now closed Sears outlet in the Dixie mall. Some of the items had huge savings even more so if the purchase was on a certain day of the week. We never had any issues and the sales staff were always very helpful.

FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, Avenger PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-12, 09:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I've checked Every Hardware store in the GTA, the bolts are a NON-STANDARD thread size and no, the home depot, lowes, rona, or other big box stores do not carry them nor do they sell the kits,
With the exception of US products, I find that many items use metric parts these days. For some strange reason metric parts are still difficult to find in Canada. If you can figure out what the metric sizing is, it should not be too difficult to find the parts online.

My first call would have been to the appliance maker. The fact they don't have the parts would be a gigantic red flag. I learned my lesson not to buy from the Sears outlet store a few years ago. The stuff there is often not a good deal and can be defective or low quality customer returns.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-13, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
Not to defend the sales guy at Sears, but it may be just that he/she had no clue you would have a hard time, may not have been their intent to lie to you. Reasonable assumption, as normally you SHOULD be able to get any parts that you need.

If it is just loose hardware like nuts and bolts, I would try an industrial supplier like McMaster Carr.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#

Do you know the specifications of the hardware you are looking for so you can look it up?
What is the Model Number?
Thank you for the recommendation, but After checking out that MacMaster site, it turns out to be a USA based business. I live in Canada, and im sure the majority of users on here also live in Canada too, Id prefer to deal with a business in Canada, preferably one which has a store or shop I can physically drive to and look at the parts physically in my hands before purchasing them. Yes I know the convenience of buying online and shipping is easy but the one thing they will never offer is the ability to look at something physically before purchasing it, I've ordered things in the past and was nothing like what the picture showed and such and had to deal with the hassle of returning it, and getting my money back and the hassle of not always getting re-imbursed for shipping etc.

The size we need is: 1/4" x 28 x 3 1/4". There is a shop in the gta which carrys them but only their brampton/bramalea location has them in stock, sucks but im gonna have to visit the west end and kill two birdds with one stone, so go for a day trip with my kids and check out the store while im there

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 09:51 AM

Sears use to bend over backwards for me anytime I had a problem with any Kenmore or Craftsman item I bought - even if it was 10+ years old. Now they don't give a bleep.

I repair a lot of old appliances and electronics and find that Canadian retailers don't tend to carry a lot of items - however, there are a lot of U.S. websites that ship to Canada that carry anything you can think of. Even if you can find the part in Canada, the U.S. webistes are much cheaper even with the higher shipping costs and potential duty charges from customs.

I wish that there was a Canadian website that carried a large selection of parts, however, the ones that do only have a limited selection, and are way over priced. I recently fixed an oven burner and the cheapest Canadian place was in Kitchener and they wanted $127 for a non-OEM part and shipping - I bought it out of New York and the total was $37US with shipping for an OEM part.

Anyways, good luck with finding the correct parts you need.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 10:46 AM
Veteran

My experiences are similar and that's even if the local supplier will sell to the public. A lot of them only sell to licensed professionals and businesses. If local parts suppliers don't have the item in stock, buying from the US can be faster as well. They have slow systems for placing orders and put a high markup on their cost. I've seen local suppliers take weeks when I could have had it overnight by mail order.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-18, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyways, I said to heck with it, I found an auto parts store which sells non-standardized bolt sizes. Picked up a set of 3 which this microwave oven requres probably due to the weight, anyways, also picked up a set of 3 washers, the heads of the bolts will stick out slightly, but at this point I do not care I just want the damn thing installed. Going to spend a good few hours tomorrow with my father in law installing it, wish me luck.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-19, 12:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Our Family is VERY Busy because we have a few kids now and work long hours at our jobs so we wanted to do a Quick Purchase of a Microwave Oven to simply replace the existing one ... My Father-in-law went to Sears because it was close by, it was convenient, ...
I can't help but be bowled over by the irony in those statements and the eventual outcome.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-20, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

whats the problem with my statement? I mean I like the fact that our family has a handyman to rely on and trust, but I hate the fact that it happens to be me, but the good news is I have been facing many difficult problems to solve and thankfully I have solved almost all of them and saved thousands of dollars compared to other friends of mine who don't lift a finger and simply call someone else to fix it and pay out of their wallet.

Our own close friends thought you NEEDED to call a plumber when your sink was clogged or toilet was clogged, they had no idea these are things you can fix yourself. They were shocked, and amazed. I also have a friend who works in plumbing and he HATES those kind of calls, he would rather install pipes and such which he tells me is more enjoyable then going to a service call to fix a leaky faucet or clogged toilet.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-20, 04:00 PM
Veteran

I didn't mean anything bad by my reflection on the situation. It's just that you wanted a quick replacement due to time constraints and a hasty purchase seems to have cost a *lot* of extra time and effort.

I am also a DIY person or handyman. I find that spending some time beforehand to make a considered purchase saves time and money in the long run. If someone else causes too much grief by making hasty decisions without my input or otherwise wasting my time and effort, they end up without my help in future.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-20, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes I admit I did not spend a lot of time beforehand with such purchase but it was my father-in-law who ultimately made the purchase after all. But the time I spent calling and emailing companies for a solution was not a great loss to me. I multi-task very well and did most of them during some "down" time at my work and on breaks and lunches, and after work. But Trust me, I've worked in other jobs which its almost impossible to do such on your breaks and lunches because of how busy the job is, you actually NEED to use breaks and lunches for just that ,to take a well deserved break.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.